spriter and ios export

blackant

Hello,

i made a game using construct and spriter, it works nicelly when i test on local machine, but after building it and installed it and android and ios i have an issue:

on android, the game just crash at the end of loading

on ipad, the game starts nicelly, problems of sounds that doesn"t lunch before i touch the screen, but it works, 
and then in the main game scene, when i drag and drop my sprite it should create a spriter object, but it doesn't.

it cause some bugs in the game play after that .

is there anyone that having some problems like me ?

Hi blackant.

I'm pretty sure the sound issue has nothing to do with Spriter. I think this might be the case for all IOS exported games (n osound allowed to play until at least one touch input...) I could be wrong.

It sounds like you might be hitting a memory (maybe using really big images?) limit of the device if the screen goes black or it crashes when loading.

I think you should report this stuff in the C2 forums and also mention which type of exporter/wrapper you are using to get the program running on the devices.

Hello,

i made a little test on my project, wich simply consist of spawning spriter objects by cliquing on a bouton.

it works perfectly on windows as you may have seen on the forum, but on IOS there is 0 instance created.

it seems that it simply doesn't works on IOS i have no more infos about why.

i also made a change by spawning a spriter object every 2 second, but nothing appears

no, the build is tested on samsung and other mobile android devices via google play.

sprites are small, and works normally 

the screen size is 1024, 640 pixels so the sprites are all smaller than that.

for my ios, i make my build using intel XDK, and download and install it via itunes.

i'm also wondering:
- majority of my spriter objects characters have a scale size at 0.7, can it cause a real impact of the memory ?
- could it be better to export my animations from spriter to gif and then import them as frame from sprites ? (i assume that if i want the same smoothness and fluidity, i'll need a lot of images)

7 hours ago, blackant said:

scirra answerred me that the only tool i can get is the debugger from construct2 wich is very limited...

does it seems high value to you for a mobil game ?

585dfd113bc7cee146066a80ea3b3a4d.jpg

This is pretty useless to you (I think) because its telling you what percent of your powerful PC'd resources are being used by what.

5 hours ago, blackant said:

i'm also wondering:
- majority of my spriter objects characters have a scale size at 0.7, can it cause a real impact of the memory ?
- could it be better to export my animations from spriter to gif and then import them as frame from sprites ? (i assume that if i want the same smoothness and fluidity, i'll need a lot of images)

You should create a scaled down clone of your Spriter project to use in game if your current one is 30 percent too big, which is  wasteful no matter what (unless you zoom in in the game) scaling down a sprite or Spriter object at run time doesn't save any graphics memory at all, as its still using the full sized images.

I no longer have easy access to an IOS device to test with and have not used the intel XDK in a couple of years... this is why I suggest you contact others in the scirra community to see if they have Spriter objects working properly with Intel XDK exports. This might allow us to zero in on a compatibility issue with that specific xdk.

If number of images and image size is possibly the issue, then create a Spriter object that literally just uses 1 32x32 pixel image. This will immediately confirm if that was the cause of the problem.

Please email your capx and or Spriter project to mike@brashmonkey.com so I can take a quick look and see if I cvan find anything that might cause an issue.

Thanks. 

ok, let me some times to clean everything and have them ready with a scale of 1.

i tested exporting images from spriter to frame by frame but it's clearly not the solution, construct is evaluating the amount of memory used to 2.9 Gb with this technic.

so spriter objects are the best way to keep quality animations.

i will try square images for sprites

13 minutes ago, blackant said:

ok, let me some times to clean everything and have them ready with a scale of 1.

i tested exporting images from spriter to frame by frame but it's clearly not the solution, construct is evaluating the amount of memory used to 2.9 Gb with this technic.

so spriter objects are the best way to keep quality animations.

i will try square images for sprites

This makes it sound like you're either using massive images or exporting at a needlessly high FPS (the best animated classic arcade 2d game shad walk cycles using between 8 and 24 frames, for example)

yes, i know that point but i'm working on next gen games, also in the optic to push the limits and not be constrained by technology limitations.

And this project is only based on animations and musics, soo i can't give my players little animations

and it works well on android, i don't see any reason why apple can't handle that

please export your project as html 5 and host it on a server. There are free ones you can use. FDropbox used to work but might not anymore for hosting html5 games... f you can not find a host, email the file to me once it's exported and I'll temporarily host it for you.

Then just open the web browser on your ios device and go to the url of the hosted game.

This will verify if IOS is the issue (I really doubt it) or if Intel XDK compatibility issue somewhere with Spriter is the problem.

On 12/8/2016 at 11:10 PM, blackant said:

Done, and you can test the debug session at this adress

Choeur de Grainies

worls better by this way finally..

so it means the prblem comes between construct export and Intel xdk right ?

Sorry for  the delayed reply.  Yes, this is useful information. I highly recommend contacting Ashley at Scirra and linking him to this web version or sharing your project and pointing out it works via web on an IOS device, but when compiled via intel XDK the spriter objects never show up.

I also suggest trying CocoonIO if they still offer free accounts to see if you get better results with that. It's been a couple years, but CocoonIO gave me a drastically superior FPS and also worked fine with Spriter back then.

https://cocoon.io/

I hope this leads to a solution for you.

cheers.