Spriter R9 Bug Thread

lucid

8 hours ago, biminiroad said:

Not sure if the animation loop toggle button is working. Animations seem to be looping no matter what.

The animation loop toggle (within Spriter) only sets whether or not the last keyframes get tweened back to the first frame.   If you just want the animation to play once, right click the play button.

11 hours ago, biminiroad said:

Okay what about this one! :) When I export with "Save as Resized/Palette Swapped Project (and images)", saving as scml works fine, but when I save as scon, the height/width properties are still the old numbers, not the new resized numbers. 

That sounds like a bug.  Thanks.  I will look into it.

Also, there is STILL this bug that key frames from different elements interfere with each other. I create new element in frame one. Than as soon as the animation gets to the place when any keyframe is on other element, the new element disappears. And then I have to copy to all frames, and all the z-order goes to hell and I have to fix everything again. No seriously, this needs to get fixed.

And for the love of crap ctrl+drag was never meant for any software to be a cloning tool hotkey! It's counter intuitive to anybody who ever worked with any kind of graphic software! ctrl+drag always was for fixing movement to one axis and constraining proportions when resizing! Always and everywhere! And for a very good reason! Because it's intuitive and you need to move elements on a single axis and constrain proportions like every five seconds! And you know what you don't need every five seconds? Accidentally cloning everything you touch anytime you need to move or resize anything! I know you guys work hard and I appreciate what you have already done, but those things have to go. I don't expect you to make an triple A class software, but this is basic functionality I'm talkin about. Take a look at Inkscape, a freeware software. They have managed to do basic navigation work and moving things around and transforming objects is smooth and intuitive. And at the very least, let me make my own hotkeys just so I could fix some of those atrocious controls myself. You have done a lot of great work but I feel like you have dropped the ball on this.

On 9/8/2016 at 6:48 PM, David Kay said:

And for the love of crap ctrl+drag was never meant for any software to be a cloning tool hotkey! It's counter intuitive to anybody who ever worked with any kind of graphic software! ctrl+drag always was for fixing movement to one axis and constraining proportions when resizing! Always and everywhere! And for a very good reason! Because it's intuitive and you need to move elements on a single axis and constrain proportions like every five seconds! And you know what you don't need every five seconds? Accidentally cloning everything you touch anytime you need to move or resize anything! I know you guys work hard and I appreciate what you have already done, but those things have to go. I don't expect you to make an triple A class software, but this is basic functionality I'm talkin about. Take a look at Inkscape, a freeware software. They have managed to do basic navigation work and moving things around and transforming objects is smooth and intuitive. And at the very least, let me make my own hotkeys just so I could fix some of those atrocious controls myself. You have done a lot of great work but I feel like you have dropped the ball on this.

Hi David, thanks for all the feedback and bug reports. We appreciate it and we are listening.  We're doing our best to strike a balance between progress with Spriter 2 (in very early development) and maintenance and occasional minor improvements for Spriter Pro. We value your feedback and thank you very much for your patience.

cheers.
-Mike at BrashMonkey

On 9/10/2016 at 4:46 AM, CheztSummer said:

Hello, I just get these bug so many times. The bug is when i input new sprite in hierarchy sometimes become double but when I select and delete one of them all sprite is gone and that double object both get deleted.

Screenshot of one example

2016-09-10 09_34_23-Spriter Pro Edition          G__Project_Game_Dance_NewAnimation_Save.scml.png

Hi CheztSummer,

Sorry to hear you're having this problem. Can you please answer some questions:
1) What OS are you using and do you use a special input device like Wacom tablet?
2) What did you mean when you say you input a new object into the Hierarchy? Do you simply mean when you drag a new sprite onto the canvas?

3) Are you sure you're not accidentally holding control while you click and drag a sprite, as this would create a clone of it?

If this happens again, please try picking a new animation then going back to the animation with the problem and see if the duplicate object is now gone... maybe it's an issue with the hierarchy palette display and not the actual data... 

thanks for reporting this. Hopefully we can figure out and resolve the cause quickly.

cheers.
-Mike at BrashMonkey

I don't know if this is specifically an R9 issue or bug, but when I use the self-drawing method by importing my sprite sheet and scon into C2 according to the instructions in this post, then for whatever reason it appears as though some sprite origin points are off when running animations in C2 preview. Is this a known issue with a known fix that you could help me with? Thanks

While working on my sprites in the past few weeks I noticed something strange. Firstly, I couldn't use the "key all" button, it simply didn't do anything. After clicking it, I moved the characters head completely off the body to test, and went to the next frame, in which the head was still moved, rather than back in the place it was originally like it should be after keying all the frames.

But that's not the biggest issue. After doing that, I was frustrated so I started looking through my old animations and noticed that they are just blatantly messed up, things being off by one or two pixels. I don't know if you changed some rounding in the code or something in an update recently, but for my pixel art 100s of hours of work is messed up and I'm not sure I can I cant recommend this software to anyone if this is normal and not solvable. I appreciate what the program is good for, but this kind of bug is just ridiculous.

Here's a screenshot of one of the animations which I had exported earlier, how it is supposed to look:

https://i.imgur.com/47bli7z.png 

For some reason, now it looks like this in the program:

mSpAdTB.png

Obviously, I didn't misalign his legs so badly that one is above the ground and the other is below it. I was using the x axis line to represent the ground so I could make all the animations flush with the ground. You can also see his arm is extended more and his hand is slightly lower. There's no logical reason for this and I need it to be resolved or I won't be able to continue work on this program, because this same sort of random changes have happened to practically all of my animations:

t11zcaP.png Which is a LOT of animations, as you can see

Please, any feedback would be greatly appreciated. This is a totally destructive bug.

1 hour ago, sebby300 said:

While working on my sprites in the past few weeks I noticed something strange. Firstly, I couldn't use the "key all" button, it simply didn't do anything. After clicking it, I moved the characters head completely off the body to test, and went to the next frame, in which the head was still moved, rather than back in the place it was originally like it should be after keying all the frames.

But that's not the biggest issue. After doing that, I was frustrated so I started looking through my old animations and noticed that they are just blatantly messed up, things being off by one or two pixels. I don't know if you changed some rounding in the code or something in an update recently, but for my pixel art 100s of hours of work is messed up and I'm not sure I can I cant recommend this software to anyone if this is normal and not solvable. I appreciate what the program is good for, but this kind of bug is just ridiculous.

Here's a screenshot of one of the animations which I had exported earlier, how it is supposed to look:

https://i.imgur.com/47bli7z.png 

For some reason, now it looks like this in the program:

mSpAdTB.png

Obviously, I didn't misalign his legs so badly that one is above the ground and the other is below it. I was using the x axis line to represent the ground so I could make all the animations flush with the ground. You can also see his arm is extended more and his hand is slightly lower. There's no logical reason for this and I need it to be resolved or I won't be able to continue work on this program, because this same sort of random changes have happened to practically all of my animations:

t11zcaP.png Which is a LOT of animations, as you can see

Please, any feedback would be greatly appreciated. This is a totally destructive bug.

Hi sebby300,

The first thing I'd do is download and install an older build of Spriter to find out which build introduced this problem. This way you can start working again instead of waiting for the bug fix.

https://brashmonkey.com/forum/index.php?/topic/3146-download-past-spriter-builds-here/

cheers.

I thought you said you loaded older animations and they also looked messed up now, which seems to suggest its a bug in the latest build of Spriter and it could just be how its displaying it, and the data is not corrupted.

Do you use version control? Have you backed up on occasion so you can roll back and test? 

If they looked fine before, then loading the old version into the past build of Spriter should be exactly as you remembered it.

It would be very helpful for us to figure out the problem if you would zip up and send up this project...especially if you can find an older version that looks right in the older build of Spriter. Maybe in your recycle bin if you didn't use version control?

Hopefully we can help figure out and resolve this issue for you quickly... the more information and files the better.

Thanks very much, and sorry for the inconvenience.

PS, I'm assuming you're positive the images have not been changed, trimmed etc?

21 hours ago, adamcreator said:

I don't know if this is specifically an R9 issue or bug, but when I use the self-drawing method by importing my sprite sheet and scon into C2 according to the instructions in this post, then for whatever reason it appears as though some sprite origin points are off when running animations in C2 preview. Is this a known issue with a known fix that you could help me with? Thanks

In case my post was missed because of the newer post.

(By the way, Dropbox is great to use for version control. You get a new version every time you save. You just have to move your project to the Dropbox folder, which is worth it.)

Edit: I confirmed that the problem indeed only happens (at least in my case) with the new self-drawing method. The origin points are correct when using the original method. I would still be interested in knowing anything you could tell me about the incorrect origin points when using the self-drawing method, as I like how the new method counts as only 1 C2 object instead of, in my case, almost 1k images, as C2 doesn't like a lot of objects. But no rush. I'll use the old method for now. Thanks!

Edited by adamcreator

On 9/12/2016 at 9:43 AM, adamcreator said:

Hi adamcreator,

Any chance you can get us some screenshots showing the before and after? Like, how it looks in Spriter vs how it looks in C2? Also, you don't have pixel rounding on in C2, do you?

thanks.
-Mike at BrashMonkey

20 hours ago, sebby300 said:

Can you please get a screen recording of this bug in action the next time it happens? This might help us figure out the cause.

Thanks again for your patience and for reporting the problems.

Sure thing! Pixel rounding is off. It sounds like it isn't already a known issue, then. In the screenshot, left is Spriter and right is C2. Her head and waist and hand are off in this case, but it happens to many other pieces too. The sprite sheet image itself is a large 8112x8112 pixels, 70,940kb, the scon that was made with the sheet is 1,435kb. I tried to compare the origin point data in the scon using Wordpad to a scon with working origin points, but I don't know enough about what origin point data I would copy to make it work. Thanks!

sc4.jpg

On 9/12/2016 at 2:13 AM, BrashAdmin said:

Hi CheztSummer,

Sorry to hear you're having this problem. Can you please answer some questions:
1) What OS are you using and do you use a special input device like Wacom tablet?
2) What did you mean when you say you input a new object into the Hierarchy? Do you simply mean when you drag a new sprite onto the canvas?

3) Are you sure you're not accidentally holding control while you click and drag a sprite, as this would create a clone of it?

If this happens again, please try picking a new animation then going back to the animation with the problem and see if the duplicate object is now gone... maybe it's an issue with the hierarchy palette display and not the actual data... 

thanks for reporting this. Hopefully we can figure out and resolve the cause quickly.

cheers.
-Mike at BrashMonkey

1 - Windows 10 and I'm using wacom intuos
2 - Yes, I was only dragging new sprite into the canvas
3 - Is not actually doubled the sprite, that was just in hierarchy display got doubled.

I got the bug when creating a new project or new animation. I haven't tried switch animation what I do just simply restart the spritter and it becomes normal again. Is kinda weird after working for hours I haven't encounter with this bug.

10 minutes ago, CheztSummer said:

1 - Windows 10 and I'm using wacom intuos
2 - Yes, I was only dragging new sprite into the canvas
3 - Is not actually doubled the sprite, that was just in hierarchy display got doubled.

I got the bug when creating a new project or new animation. I haven't tried switch animation what I do just simply restart the spritter and it becomes normal again. Is kinda weird after working for hours I haven't encounter with this bug.

Thanks for answering these questions. It might help fix the bug.

Cheers.

• lucid unpinned and locked this topic