Timeline - Audio Stutter while Scrubbing

MisterMichaud

Hello,

I'm an animation lead working for a company which creates children's games in Unity and Phaser for large media brands (Timer Warner, Viacom, Marvel / Disney, etc.).  I'm currently evaluating Spriter as an animation tool for our art pipeline, and we're very pleased with the results so far.

The only major snag - which is definitely a deal breaker if it can't be resolved in an elegant manner - is lip syncing with audio.

While there's an option to pull audio onto the timeline and enable playback while scrubbing, the audio itself is inconsistent (often replaying the opening milliseconds of the audio clip over and over) and slow to respond to the scrubbing itself.  For lip sync purposes, this is pretty much un-usable.

I've attached a video to double-check if this is a bug.  You'll see I'm unable to hear the syllables as I scrub through.  I don't see a lot of information regarding this feature online, perhaps this is how it is intended to operate, which is extremely unfortunate if confirmed:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nclfdi4kf9xgwxg/bandicam 2016-07-22 15-04-11-552.avi?dl=0

For what it's worth, we've also looked into Papagayo as a solution (which, incidentally, plays the audio as expected when scrubbing), but felt it was overall too clunky of a product and geared more toward a novice who is just learning how to lip sync.  Overall, we'd prefer to streamline the workflow to a single application.

Hi MrMichaud,

EDIT: Sorry, I was too quick to reply initially and missed your end couple of sentences about having already tried Papagayo.  I've brought this thread to the attention of Edgar (Spriter's programmer) to see if he has any ideas regarding the audio scrubbing.

Thank you for considering Spriter. We're glad it's meeting your needs so far except in this specific circumstance. Hopefully we can find a good solution for you.

Did you see that Spriter Pro has built in Papagayo support?

The best workflow would be to finalize all body movement animation first, and then copy that finished animation in the Spriter project to have a safe back up to go back to quickly, Then apply the built in Papagayo method to the animation so that all the lip-syncing is added automatically. This will add a LOT of key frames though, which would make the overall animation very difficult to tweak, so this is why I recommend always having the non- lip-synced animation ready to tweak, copy, then re-lip-sync whenever tweaks are desired. 

I hope that makes sense.

http://www.brashmonkey.com/spriter_manual/papagoyo support.htm

cheers.
-Mike at BrashMonkey

Zipped the project folder and sent it directly to you earlier this morning, lucid.

Along with any troubleshooting you provide, could you also confirm whether or not the stutter shown in the video above is the intended playback quality when scrubbing in Spriter, or if this is a clear and obvious glitch?  What should it sound like when scrubbing through audio in Spriter?

Thanks again for looking into this.

hi @MisterMichaud  I responded via email with more detail, and something for you to test, but for anyone else who may have this issue - I will see what I can do about the sound when snapping is enabled, but it's mainly made for playing the sound when dragging smoothly when snapping is not enabled.  It should not sound how it does in the video, it should just sound like the audio being played at the speed you're scrubbing.  It can be a bit crackly sounding, but it should be quite clear which part of the audio you're on.  It works on my PC, but I will continue testing to figure out why it isn't working for you.  

Hi Edgar,

I got your emails, including the one asking em to re-send but all replies are still bouncing back.

I'll try to look at this over the weekend and get back to you no later than Tuesday (it's a holiday here in Canada on Monday).

For what it's worth, I'm experiencing different issues when not in snapping mode but the end result is similar: I can't discern what's being said in the audio as it's being cut off far too soon.

Thanks again for looking into this.

Cheers!

• 1 month later...