Update on Deformation?

Garvinator

Hi Gavinator.

The current skin mode was proof of concept so, while some users get fantastic results using it, its not an official feature and not supported for bug-fixing or run-times.

Spriter 2 is in early development, will be a free upgrade for all Spriter Pro owners, and will have advanced deforming features from day one. No ETA for it yet, though.

cheers.
-Mike at BrashMonkey

2 hours ago, BrashAdmin said:

Hi Gavinator.

The current skin mode was proof of concept so, while some users get fantastic results using it, its not an official feature and not supported for bug-fixing or run-times.

Spriter 2 is in early development, will be a free upgrade for all Spriter Pro owners, and will have advanced deforming features from day one. No ETA for it yet, though.

cheers.
-Mike at BrashMonkey

Thanks for the reply! Out of curiosity, what else will be in Spriter 2? Will the old data format still work? Is it a complete recode of Spriter? Will the GUI change? Thanks!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Just wondering, is the aforementioned FFD features in the video in the post above mine supported in Unity at the moment at all?

I've been using the (free) "Unity Sprites and Bones" asset up to this point for FFD, but I was wondering if I could use Spriter now for this task in the R9 version?

It would be amazing if Spriter was up to this task because it's so much more intuitive than Spine or USAB in its implementation, but I'd like to actually be able to USE it for FFD.

There was a point where I wanted to pay for (the ridiculously-expensive) Spine program (in addition to Spriter!) solely for its FFD feature, but I found Unity Sprites and Bones (a native Unity animation utility) for this, so I really needed neither that program, nor Spriter. However, looking at it now, Spriter actually does FFD more intuitively than Spine it seems, and I would totally prefer it now over both Spine and USAB to work in -- that is, IF I could only get its FFD animations into Unity!

Since the Unity Sprites and Bones asset does everything for me that I'd need Spriter for, I've yet to dust-off my copy of Spriter to do anything with it, and that's very sad really because I'm still a huge fan of Spriter since the beginning, as it's a lot more intuitive and useful than Spine, but it lacks basic functionality to be able to compete in today's 2D market without the FFD feature. When a free program developed in a guy's spare time can provide more intrinsic-value to the customer than something worked hard on for so long by you guys -- that's quite the reason to take notice.

As a person who has supported Spriter for a very long time, I've been pretty sad I've been unable to actually USE it for so long that I've admittedly quit following its updates because the one feature I've needed so long has been MIA, and without a date when it might be available... :(

As a ray of hope though, I seem to have read somewhere that Spriter does currently support FFD somehow, but as an unsupported feature. Which kind of takes me back to my original question:  is it (FFD), or is it NOT, supported to some extent in Unity right now? D:

No Spriter run-time supports the mesh deform feature called Skin mode, as it was  a proof of concept experimental feature which is unfinished and unsupported (a few known bugs which won't be fixed)

Several users still use skin mode to great effect, BUT the only way to get the finished animation into a game if it uses skin mode is to bake out the animation as full frame images or sprite sheets.

Spriter 2 will feature deforming features BUT is a long way from its initial release..still in very early R&D stage. If you need the deforming feature for any current or future project and Spriter 2 is not yet released, definitely don't postpone a project to wait for Spriter 2, as there is not the slightest promise or estimate for an initial release date. Obviously, as soon as we can while not compromising quality, reliability, feature set and future-proofing the data format and code-base, but that doesn't do anything for a specific time-frame.

Thanks,
Mike at BrashMonkey