better z-order editing

GimmickyApps

Spriter 6.1, Win7x64

The only thing I could find about this was a post by grayborders at http://www.brashmonkey.com/forumOLD/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12628

But it seems things haven't gotten fixed since then, maybe?  Or not completely fixed.  I have several times experienced the bug described there, where my z-orders got messed up on alternating frames, meaning I had to manually redo zordering I had *already* had to manually redo once before.

Worse, z-ordering is already a bit of a pain if you need to drag more than one sprite at a time.  You can select multiple sprites in the z-order pane, but dragging gives you a 'cancel' cursor and doesn't drop them anywhere if you do.

I'm trying to animate some martial arts moves, which involve characters spinning around, so their z-orders change like crazy.  Is Spriter the wrong tool for the job in my and grayborders' case?  If not, then surely I'm missing a z-order editing trick or two in the program?

Thanks for any help,

GA

An incomplete answer I have to this is that you have to develop tricks and ways to work with Spriter's Z-order issues. Some stuff I learned so far is that sometimes when you copy and paste something into somewhere, it may screw up the Z order of that key, or even other keys when doing the 'super-paste' as I call it, with Ctrl+Shift+V to paste an element to all frames. Sometimes you have to decide which you'd rather have: the paste or the Z order left in tact. Another trick is that if the Z order remains stable on one keyframe such as key 1, you can always use that frame to copy the Z order to other frames as a sort of Z order backup. However when Z order changes like crazy like in your case, it's best not to do anything that screws up the Z order, which may mean a bit more tedious animating and less pasting or whatever else you notice screws with the Z order.

So...the choices are tedious vs tedious.  Hmm.  :)  I don't have enough experience to know which way, if any, is worse.  Well, thanks for acknowledging my experience and sharing yours, it's nice to know I'm not alone at least :)  When you talk about a z-order backup that's the part I don't understand--how can you copy the z-order just to one other frame, not to all of them?