UE4Spriter - Spriter for Unreal Engine 4 (WIP)

Banbury

UE4Spriter

UE4Spriter is a plugin for Unreal Engine 4, that allows importing and rendering of Spriter animations in Unreal Engine games (Windows only as of now).

Spriter project files and sprite images can be imported quickly. A Spriter component is responsible for rendering the animation. I tried to make the process of setting up a scene as hassle-free as possible.

The whole project is open source (MIT license) and free to use. It can be downloaded from Github.

Download

Video

Currently the plugin supports animations only. If there is enough interest I might add more features in the future.

Recent changes

• Update README.md                                                        
  • Disabled crash reporter and 'anonymous' statistics.                     
  • Added Blueprint function to query triggers.                             
  • Add reimport asset action for Spriter Project.                          
  • Added Blueprint function to blend animation.                            
  • Added Blueprint functions for stopping and starting animations.         
  • Added Blueprint functions for character maps.                           
  • Added Spriter placeholder image.                                       

screenshot1.png

Edited by Banbury
Recent changes

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi Banbury,

I'm sorry the lack of traffic and obvious enthusiasm for such a cool plug-in can be really disheartening, but also quite misleading. I can tell you I personally am very interested, and obviously the few people who responded here are as well. I'm sure there are many others who are interested, but the standard MO for plug-ins no matter how enticing for one's authoring system of choice is to just keep an eye on it until its feature complete or close. This is for a few reasons, the biggest being most people either are already in the middle of big projects they are reluctant to plug new things into or they are just have trepidation about starting a project dependent on a plug-in that is not yet complete, and therefore might have project threatening bugs or just might not be supported or completed (or might be updated in a manner that breaks compatibility).

Obvious interest and usage tends to pick up a lot once the Spriter implementations make it onto our official list ( https://brashmonkey.com/spriter-api/ ) my being as feature complete as possible, and tested enough by multiple users to be proven usable for completed game projects.

I'm sending you an email to see if we can work with you more closely to hopefully get your implementation the attention and support it deserves.

cheers.
-Mike at BrashMonkey

I hope my previous comment didn't sound angry or disappointed. I'm doing this kind of small programming projects all the time during my vacations, mostly as exercise. When the vacation is over, I release it as open source. Maybe someone else is interested and can make use of it.

But I don't have the time to create a fully fleshed out product with documentation and all just for a lark. That's a lot of work and commitment. And writing documentation isn't exactly fun. Since I'm doing this for free, the only currency I get for working on a project is recognition. The more recognition, the more fun I have. And if there's no recognition, then I'll start something new. That's how open source works, I guess.

I have noticed in the past, that game developers do not seem to trust open source projects. And I can understand that. The quality of open source projects can be very uneven and documentation non-existent. But open source is all I have to offer, warts and all. For complicated reasons I'm not interested in monetizing my hobby. I have a decently paid job, that leaves me little time outside of vacations. So there's little incentive for me to continue working on UE4Spriter.

But I'm open to suggestions. If you have any ideas, that could hold my interest, you know where to reach me :).