Crashing on startup

Clyde Patterson

Hi Clyde, 

Sorry you're having problems running Spriter.

Please try disabling openGL in Spriter by downloading and executing this registry entry.

If you are running Spriter Pro from Steam, please verify the integrity of the application cache, by right-clicking on Spriter Pro in your Steam library, and selecting Properties.  Then in the Local Files tab, click Verify Integity of Application Cache.

Please let me know if either of these resolve your issue.

@Clyde Patterson , if you still have the non-working 5 installed, can you overwrite the exe file with this one : https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/257875422/SpriterForums/Spriter.zip
This is just the actual exe, not the installer, so you'll need to copy it to the Spriter installation directory.  Please let me know if that fixes anything.

@Clyde Patterson , Ok.  I'm going to add some things to help debug startup issues, which will go in the upcoming version.  In the meantime, it looks like your graphics card drivers aren't completely up to date.  This may or may not be the issue, but it has helped some people who were having issues starting the program in the past.  You can update your graphics drivers here: http://support.amd.com/en-us/download

• 2 weeks later...

@ Clyde Patterson,

You will not have to purchase any update builds. Your serial number will work for all versions of Spriter Pro as they are released. Most people who have had Spriter crash on start-up have had the issue resolved by installing that specific version of this: https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/download/details.aspx?id=5555 or changing an entry in regedit, or updating their video card drivers.

Edgar is working on an update build of Spriter which should produce crash report information of some sort, which might help us figure out the remaining issue.

Thanks for your patience.

-Mike at BrashMonkey

I have found a work around for the crashing. At the startup screen it ask for "Automatic Update Setting". Instead of saving, press cancel and set the auto update window to not start at program start. The program is running for now, I haven't tried to create anything in the program yet. I hope this gives some insight to what is going on with the crashing at startup.

spriterLoad.thumb.png.1b01a97e84ef821117

• 5 weeks later...

Spriter 6.1 has a reported file "WS.Reputation.1" that Norton has deleted. This is from Norton's website;

{

Updated:
February 15, 2012 3:15:47 PM
Type:
Other
Risk Impact:
High
Systems Affected:
Windows 2000, Windows NT, Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2008, Windows Vista, Windows XP

Behavior

WS.Reputation.1 is a detection for files that have a low reputation score based on analyzing data from Symantec’s community of users and therefore are likely to be security risks. Detections of this type are based on Symantec’s reputation-based security technology. Because this detection is based on a reputation score, it does not represent a specific class of threat like adware or spyware, but instead applies to all threat categories. 

The reputation-based system uses "the wisdom of crowds" (Symantec’s tens of millions of end users) connected to cloud-based intelligence to compute a reputation score for an application, and in the process identify malicious software in an entirely new way beyond traditional signatures and behavior-based detection techniques.

Antivirus Protection Dates

• Initial Rapid Release version October 2, 2014 revision 022
  • Latest Rapid Release version October 2, 2014 revision 022
  • Initial Daily Certified version March 27, 2009 revision 005
  • Latest Daily Certified version April 20, 2010 revision 024
  • Initial Weekly Certified release date April 1, 2009

}

Resolved...