Why 782 frames in "Walking Animation" youtube vid?

mindflayer

Hi,

I have tinkered with animating low-res pixel art frame-by-frame in Photoshop; just purchased Spriter and I'm absolutely in love with it. My understanding of animation as a whole, and in particular modular animation, is somewhat limited, so I have what I suspect might be a stupid question.

At 23:51 of the "How to Create a Walking Animation in Spriter" tutorial on Youtube, Mike changes his timeline length to 782 as it "will give me an evenly divided timeline of sixteen segments" for his eight-key-frame animation. 782 is not evenly divisible by 16, though; perhaps he meant 768? I wrote out all of the steps Mike mentions during the video but this particular step doesn't quite make sense to me.

Similarly, if I want to do an eight-key-frame animation, why wouldn't I want to simply set the timeline length to 800 and put a key frame at the 100, 200, 300, 400, 500, 600, 700, and 800 mark? I suspect the answer is either "preference" or there is some very basic mathematical principle that I am completely blanking on, haha.

Thank you for your time and for your help!

Here is the vid in question:

https://youtu.be/t__eWKEMadE?list=PLD72FFB8B546B6CDB&t=1431

Hi mindflayer,

Yes, my decision was not based on any careful math, but simply by counting 16 visible segments in the timeline and noticing the 16th fell on that specific time (for whatever reason). That video was made before the snapping and custom time-line delineation options had been added to Spriter. If those features had existed at the time I definitely would have used snapping and a timeline duration of 800 as you suggest.

good question.

cheers

Fantastic, thank you for confirming. I'm sure you guys have plenty to do, but I might recommend annotating the Youtube tutorials in situations such as this, as it might eliminate some confusion / forum posts (and, ultimately, it would hopefully save you some time). I've had a chance to fool around with Spriter's Pro Edition some more and I absolutely love it. Got my first walk animation down, all shambling and lurching and disgusting--in a good way!