SpriterPlusPlus - a C++ Spriter implementation

lucid

Hi,

i downloaded the sourcecode from github and I wanted to try the example, but got a compilation error. The problem is, that the method newImageFile in examplefilefactory.h does not override the method in filefactory.h properly. Obviously the code of the "core-engine" has been changed, but the example hasn't been updated. I tried to fix it myself, but it didn't work out, because I've never used this code before. I just wanted to get used to it and how it is working.

Can someone fix the example? Would be very nice :)

Greetings

superolelli

6 hours ago, superolelli said:

Hi,

i downloaded the sourcecode from github and I wanted to try the example, but got a compilation error. The problem is, that the method newImageFile in examplefilefactory.h does not override the method in filefactory.h properly. Obviously the code of the "core-engine" has been changed, but the example hasn't been updated. I tried to fix it myself, but it didn't work out, because I've never used this code before. I just wanted to get used to it and how it is working.

Can someone fix the example? Would be very nice :)

Greetings

superolelli

I'm updating the examples right now. I've already done a pull request with the fix and an scon loader.

I'll also add atlas data to the example.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, I'm making a game with 3D environments and 2.5D characters, the animations are amazingly smooth, however I had a bit of a problem while integrating SpriterPlusPlus. As far as I understand, the library expects to be used in a 2D game, so it treats 1 unit as 1 pixel. This is confirmed by the fact that Spriter and the examples have lengths around 200 units IIRC, which makes sense in a 2D game. However, my game is 3D, where 1 unit equals 1 meter (which is more intuitive to deal with). I tried scaling down the GreyGuy example to around 2 units in size, however Spriter was bugging out at me, I guess it wasn't meant to be edited at such small scales.

Anyway, after saving the SCML file and reading it in my game engine, SpriterPlusPlus behaved in peculariar ways. I don't know if the fault is in my code (can't find) or there're some assumptions in SpriterPlusPlus or Spriter which I did not respect. Basically, if I export the file at 200 units, and tell SpriterPlusPlus to scale it down by ~0.02 (setScale(..) is the API? I did the integration quite some time ago now) to convert from the 2D units to 3D units, I get quite messed up rendering. A character's pieces are a bit detached from each other, and they become increasingly detached the more I scale down by using setScale(..). If I set the scale to 1.0f, then everything renders super nicely (awesome library, I love you), but it's quite buggy if I use setScale(..).

It's as if the library casts floats to int's somewhere (or floors), which is not noticeable with 2D units (pixel scale) but becomes noticeable if your skeleton is around 1 unit in size (floor'ing/casting to int makes the pieces mislocated by 1 meter instead of 1 pixel).

Anyway, I solved the problem by simply telling SpriterPlusPlus to render at 100% scale (200 units or so), and then I scale it down in OpenGL myself. So I'd like to have a confirmtation, if SpriterPlusPlus assumes the skeletons to be in the >100-200 unit range and therefore does not care about "subpixel" rendering (below 1), or there's a silly bug on my side. Everything works well now, but it's something which has been bugging me for a while.

@KGeist I tried saving the example project (the one included in the SpriterPlusPlus example), and resaved it in Spriter to 10x the original size.  Then changed main.cpp to scale each instance to 0.02,0.02 instead of random, and it worked as expected:

02sized.JPG

Are those the correct steps to reproduce the error you're talking about?

27 minutes ago, lucid said:

@KGeist I tried saving the example project (the one included in the SpriterPlusPlus example), and resaved it in Spriter to 10x the original size.  Then changed main.cpp to scale each instance to 0.02,0.02 instead of random, and it worked as expected:

02sized.JPG

Are those the correct steps to reproduce the error you're talking about?

Sounds OK. It must be a bug somewhere in my code, then (quite expected). I tested my wrapper with a square (rotating/scaling around random pivots) and it seemed OK, but it failed with the data passed by SpriterPlusPlus. Perhaps I misunderstood some API (especially considering pivots, such as, is scale applied according to the pivot or the actual center etc. - it's not obvious from the examples because they use interfaces of a third-party lib I'm not familiar with, perhaps it's where the errors stems from).

Anyway, thanks for the confirmation that it's not your code which is to blame, perhaps a wrong order of matrix multiplications somewhere. Will have a look at my code again... (although it already works OK as it is)

On an unrelated note, one minor complaint is that the interface is quite cumbersome; can't we have an option to iterate over all the pieces in one loop in Z-order (a list of infos describing the position + the angle around center + scale around center + texture path; can't we omit the pivot thing altogether too?), instead of scattering it around in subclasses (like ImageFile). Or maybe I overlooked?

Edited by KGeist

• 2 months later...

If you want an example using Allegro 5(allegro-5.0.10-msvc-11.0), I got bored and wrote one copying your structure you wrote for the SFML(though I've never touched SFML).

May have not done it perfectly. But it works and compiles and looks practically similar. I didn't test Atlas and bounding box drawing.

I haven't used Github alot but do you want me to fork your project and add a directory called allegro-example for you?

Also good work on it all. Works nicely.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

hey guys,

I found the sub entities have problems that

when a spriter object load a scml file which has sub entites,it can not works in clickteam fusion.

Frame can not run.

(I mean this function

I have tried the four ways in Sample file. QQ图片20170111174354.png

Dont know whether this problem will be solved.

sorry for my bad english and love your awesome works.:-D

1 hour ago, callofAS said:

hey guys,

I found the sub entities have problems that

when a spriter object load a scml file which has sub entites,it can not works in clickteam fusion.

Frame can not run.

(I mean this function

I have tried the four ways in Sample file. QQ图片20170111174354.png

Dont know whether this problem will be solved.

sorry for my bad english and love your awesome works.:-D

I think you should be reporting this to conceptgame who created the Spriter plugin for Fusion. This thread is for the C++ implementation.

http://community.clickteam.com/threads/91759-Beta-Spriter-Object-Extension

• 1 month later...

Related to the issue of callofAS, is it now possible to change current entity on the fly with void EntityInstance::setCurrentEntity(int newEntityId)?

Or is the only way to delete and recreate from top API?

For example, instead of this:

SpriterEngine::EntityInstance * inst = scmlModel->getNewEntityInstance(0);

delete inst;

inst = scmlModel->getNewEntityInstance(1);

just this:

SpriterEngine::EntityInstance * inst = scmlModel->getNewEntityInstance(0);

inst->setCurrentEntity(1);

@conceptgame Yes. You can add an additional entity to an EntityInstance in two ways.
First, you can use 

entityInstance->appendEntity(&scmlModel, "entityName");

entityInstance->setCurrentEntity("entityName"); // or use the index as you did in your example.

You can also do it in one step:

entityInstance->setCurrentEntity("entityName","initialAnimationName",&scmlModel);

The second method will append the entity before setting it to the current.  Note that neither method checks whether or not you already have this entity appended.  

On 3/1/2017 at 5:48 PM, maxfish said:

Hi,

In case somebody is still interested in an SDL2 implementation, here is my attempt at it: https://github.com/maxfish/SpriterPlusPlus_SDL2

The most important thing still missing is a working support for sprite atlas, the rest works fine.

I hope it might help someone.

Awesome. Thanks for contributing to the communities arsenal of Spriter implementations. :)

Hi,

Can I get access to transformations of all sprites after EntityInstance->setTimeElapsed() was called?

The problem is I have my own hierarchy of sprites, and I don't want to draw them from ImageFile::renderSprite(). I tried to capture transformation there and use it later. This fails in case when two sprites use one image. Because there is no sprite identification (?), only image, I can't tell which specific sprite is rendered and second transformation is overwritten by first.

How can I solve this?

Hi,

is it possible to play two animations at the same time?
Imagine a character, which can e.g. walk and shoot. Now I want, that this character can walk and shoot at the same time.
If the walking animation doesn't effect bones used by the shooting animation that should be possible, shouldn't it?

Is there a way to achieve this?

(solved) After some investigation, I used EntityInstance::getZOrder() to get ObjectInterfaceVector

Anyway, have you tested loading scenes with Settings::reverseAngleOnLoad == false? In such case every spin must be inverted, otherwise sprites spin like crazy ;) This should be done in SpriterDocumentLoader.

On 3/13/2017 at 3:07 PM, mildanach said:

(solved) After some investigation, I used EntityInstance::getZOrder() to get ObjectInterfaceVector

Anyway, have you tested loading scenes with Settings::reverseAngleOnLoad == false? In such case every spin must be inverted, otherwise sprites spin like crazy ;) This should be done in SpriterDocumentLoader.

Glad you got it worked out.  And yes, the reverseAngleOnLoad is for engines that use clockwise angles instead of counter-clockwise.

On 3/11/2017 at 7:48 AM, superolelli said:

Hi,

is it possible to play two animations at the same time?
Imagine a character, which can e.g. walk and shoot. Now I want, that this character can walk and shoot at the same time.
If the walking animation doesn't effect bones used by the shooting animation that should be possible, shouldn't it?

Is there a way to achieve this?

The only way to do it now is using sub-entities.

• 1 month later...

Hi,
I think I've got the same problem that Breush had earlier.
I tried to retrieve the position of a point but I always get 0.

I did it this way:

SpriterEngine::UniversalObjectInterface *pt = body->getObjectInstance("arm_point");
pt->getPosition().x;

Do you know, what the problem could be?

And here's another thing:
I made an animation consisting of two subentities. Now I want to render them seperately. I tried it this way, but my program crashed.

dwarf->setCurrentAnimation("walk");
dwarf->setTimeElapsed(timeElapsed);

SpriterEngine::UniversalObjectInterface *body = dwarf->getObjectInstance("body");
body->render();
delete(body);

SpriterEngine::UniversalObjectInterface *arm = dwarf->getObjectInstance("arm");
arm->render();
delete(arm);

"dwarf" is the entityInstance. Any idea, how i can get this working?

Greetings

superolelli

• 3 months later...

OK, I realised that blending may cause this problem, so I gave up on that. But again, animations were played properly only once, showing only last frame for consecutive replays. I thought this is related to time, so there's workaround:

instance->setCurrentTime(0);
instance->setCurrentAnimation(name);

But still, there is remaining problem with blending such animations.

• 1 year later...

I want to use Spriter with Oxygine2d. I inspire my self on the SFML example (wich compiles and runs well on my system). So far I am quite sure the images referenced by the SCML file are loaded well. But I get an error message when I call the function. inst->setTimeElapsed((int)t).  An exception is thrown in the function.
real TimeInfo::getTimeRatio(real currentTime)
    {
        return easingCurve->adjustedTimeRatio(inverseLinear(time, nextTime, currentTime));
    }
Unhandled exception thrown: read access violation.
this->easingCurve was 0xDDDDDDDD

Does someone recognise this problem?