TroubleShooting (look here if you are having an issue with Spriter!)

On 3/5/2022 at 7:56 PM, You Jumped Out The Box said:

Alright,

so I uninstalled all Visual Studio Versions, the ones that were older and the versions that were more recent than 2013 and the version 2013.

Then I re-installed 2013.

KidkwLx.png

I re-started my computer. Now I still don't have the files (except msvcr100_clr0400.dll) in the SysWOW64 folder.
And now on top of that I don't have the two files in the System32 folder anymore.

Spriter still gives me the same message when running it.

I also tried re-installing Spriter after that with no change.

The only other thing I can think of is one user had the same sort of issue years ago (with Windows 10 I believe) and it turned out they were using an antivirus program I'd never heard of which was blocking the installation of many dll files without telling him. When he paused his anti-virus and then installed the required visual studio then Spriter, then it worked.

On 3/16/2022 at 5:18 PM, You Jumped Out The Box said:

No, unfortunately after I desactivated all antivirus safety in settings and re-installed Visual Studio, it still did not install the dll files.

Would it be possible that you send me the dll files directly somehow or put them somewhere to download, and I just place them in the folder manually?

I'll have to look into whether or not I'd be legally allowed to do so. In the meantime, have you tried the trick of installing the free trial of Adobe creative cloud? I'd heard from many people that their installer happens to automatically install all the same DLL files that Spriter needs to run.

There could be copyright on dll files? :-o

Where do I find the Adobe creative cloud? Is that where it's for free 7 days then I pay?
That sounds too complicated for me just to install the spriter program.

I can let someone control my PC from distance on zoom or something to have a look.
But I do not have the time to test too many things unfortunately just to install it.

Will you accept a refund if I cannot make it work?

So I see you did not respond.

I checked and I saw that you do not refund your products.

Please make sure to find a stable way to install programs on Windows 11.
As it might seem obvious, it is very frustrating for me to have made a purchase that I cannot return, for a program that I cannot even install or run on my PC.
It's absolutely ridiculous to ask your customers to spend days/weeks to just install a program.
There was no warning that the program might not run on Windows 11, just a recommendation to try out the free version first, which seemed to be just a recommendation in case you don't like the program and it's functions. There was no mentioning of difficulties or impossibilities/incompatibilities upon installing, which I find unprofessional.

I find myself in the unlucky situation now that I cannot return the product, and have basically been ripped off my 60 bucks.

Since I cannot even install it, can you refund me?
It's not like I do not like the program or it's functions, it's really that I cannot even use it!

Very sorry for the time and frustration this caused you. For many years this issue did not exist at all, as these DLL files were on virtually every Windows computer by default, and then when people started reporting this, it was rare and easy to resolve. Apparently Windows 11 has changed that to a drastically more severe problem.

The no refund policy was always coupled with the 'try before you buy' robustly featured free version of Spriter, but was never intended to be a punishment or trap. Of course we want every customer to be very happy with their purchase and of course to be able to easily use Spriter. I'm sending you a private message so we can resolve this to your satisfaction as quickly as possible.

1 hour ago, You Jumped Out The Box said:

So I see you did not respond.

I checked and I saw that you do not refund your products.

Please make sure to find a stable way to install programs on Windows 11.
As it might seem obvious, it is very frustrating for me to have made a purchase that I cannot return, for a program that I cannot even install or run on my PC.
It's absolutely ridiculous to ask your customers to spend days/weeks to just install a program.
There was no warning that the program might not run on Windows 11, just a recommendation to try out the free version first, which seemed to be just a recommendation in case you don't like the program and it's functions. There was no mentioning of difficulties or impossibilities/incompatibilities upon installing, which I find unprofessional.

I find myself in the unlucky situation now that I cannot return the product, and have basically been ripped off my 60 bucks.

Since I cannot even install it, can you refund me?
It's not like I do not like the program or it's functions, it's really that I cannot even use it!

• 1 month later...

Hey @Mike at BrashMonkey how would you go about splitting an already animated character in half to be able to attack and run at the same time? Should I duplicate the project after creating a backup and try to pick apart the bones and such from the torso up to separate it from the legs and then import both projects into Construct 3 to pin them? Perhaps I should just start from scratch to do this or is there an easier way I'm not aware of? If I have to start over that's not horrible since this has been a fantastic learning experience for me having to redo the process quite a few times (all mistakes on my part of course) just would like to know if you have any tips or tricks for something like this or what your process would look like to achieve the kind of running and attack animation blending I'm going for.

Thanks so much for your time!

-Chris

On 5/3/2022 at 9:36 AM, Chris Newton said:

Hey @Mike at BrashMonkey how would you go about splitting an already animated character in half to be able to attack and run at the same time? Should I duplicate the project after creating a backup and try to pick apart the bones and such from the torso up to separate it from the legs and then import both projects into Construct 3 to pin them? Perhaps I should just start from scratch to do this or is there an easier way I'm not aware of? If I have to start over that's not horrible since this has been a fantastic learning experience for me having to redo the process quite a few times (all mistakes on my part of course) just would like to know if you have any tips or tricks for something like this or what your process would look like to achieve the kind of running and attack animation blending I'm going for.

Thanks so much for your time!

-Chris

I would try cloning the project first, and deleting the upper body from one and the lower body from the other. but there's absolutely a chance deleting bones that are a parent of parts of the body you might want to keep could ruin the position and angle of things, so you might indeed need to redo some or all of it. This is likely more or less true depending on the features you used and the bone hierarchy structure.
If need be you could also export as sequential images of the current fully assembled characters and then load them in and use them as guides to recreate the animations more quickly and easily.

best of luck. I hope it goes smoothly for you whichever way you choose.

I thought that solution may work as well and it worked perfectly fine in execution in spriter since I just used the hierarchy tab to select parts of the character and had to make sure I didn't delete the "spine" or base bone (used a button at the top left to delete the selected components throughout entire animation easily) of the character and all remained in tact. However, pinning in Construct the two parts didn't yield the desired results due to some interesting event issues. Not only that but the angling wasn't quite right either. I've been trying to find a solution to this since. You mentioned in another post that Spriter 2 would be able to handle what that person called Additive animations (which is what I believe I'm asking about). Is this already available in Spriter 2? as I have it and pro for Spriter :) I just can't use S2 very well due to some interface confusion and it chops less than fully opaque sprites. I've reported the bug as requested but it hasn't been fixed as of yet which is understandable. Thanks for letting me pick your brain a bit - it's a super valuable learning experience :D

3 hours ago, Chris Newton said:

I thought that solution may work as well and it worked perfectly fine in execution in spriter since I just used the hierarchy tab to select parts of the character and had to make sure I didn't delete the "spine" or base bone (used a button at the top left to delete the selected components throughout entire animation easily) of the character and all remained in tact. However, pinning in Construct the two parts didn't yield the desired results due to some interesting event issues. Not only that but the angling wasn't quite right either. I've been trying to find a solution to this since. You mentioned in another post that Spriter 2 would be able to handle what that person called Additive animations (which is what I believe I'm asking about). Is this already available in Spriter 2? as I have it and pro for Spriter :) I just can't use S2 very well due to some interface confusion and it chops less than fully opaque sprites. I've reported the bug as requested but it hasn't been fixed as of yet which is understandable. Thanks for letting me pick your brain a bit - it's a super valuable learning experience :D

I'm glad the first part worked out. There is a way to override specific bones in Construct and a way to blend two animations two the degree you'd like on the fly as well, so you might be able to use those two advanced features to get your desired results. 
https://www.construct.net/en/make-games/addons/192/spriter/aces

Thanks for the tip! Also, it seems I've run into a bug of sorts. When I import my spriter object into Construct 3 it duplicates all of my character's sprites and adds a "2" at the end while creating another "on initialized" event but it does not make a new family. I just want to update the animations for this character using the non draw self method. Not but a few days ago I was able to do so using this same method, as per your youtube video, but after I got those odd results I just deleted the new duplicated sprites and initialize event and I was good to go. Now when I try that same solution it deletes the original sprites as well inside the family (even though they are still inside the project) and removes them from the container of the entity as well. I've tried adding the right sprites back manually but it won't let me. Is this a known issue and is there a fix? Just encountered this about an hour or so ago.

17 hours ago, Chris Newton said:

Thanks for the tip! Also, it seems I've run into a bug of sorts. When I import my spriter object into Construct 3 it duplicates all of my character's sprites and adds a "2" at the end while creating another "on initialized" event but it does not make a new family. I just want to update the animations for this character using the non draw self method. Not but a few days ago I was able to do so using this same method, as per your youtube video, but after I got those odd results I just deleted the new duplicated sprites and initialize event and I was good to go. Now when I try that same solution it deletes the original sprites as well inside the family (even though they are still inside the project) and removes them from the container of the entity as well. I've tried adding the right sprites back manually but it won't let me. Is this a known issue and is there a fix? Just encountered this about an hour or so ago.

No, this is not a known issue. If you're using the lastest stable version of Construct 3 and the latest version of the Spriter plug-in, and re-import the same exact named spriter project (zipped up as a single zip file) then it should properly update and not create a clone with the number 2 after it.

Are you using any kind of version control like One-drive or github so you can revert back to a version of your project before you tried the first update that caused issues?

No I'm not as I just began this project but I have an old project built before the new construct 3 update that I tried the same stuff with and it worked. I did re-watch your tutorial in case I missed something. Although, the latest release of Construct 3 had a notable feature called "Template Mode" which I used in this new project on the same character (seems to  be when I started having issues) but I tried removing that and reimporting and that didn't change the outcome. I also tried adding the new feature to the character in the old version of the project and it had a the same effect there though less parts were missing. After that I went back to the old project to try to reimport and I got this for the 2nd time (fatal error). Might be the plugin having issues with communicating with the engine but I'm not sure. As for the duplicate sprites, it's been doing that since I got Spriter but I'm not sure how to fix it. It actually happens each time (incrementing each time I do it).

Any advice on any of this? haha. I can email you my project if you are curious enough to take a look.

On 5/10/2022 at 7:10 AM, Chris Newton said:

No I'm not as I just began this project but I have an old project built before the new construct 3 update that I tried the same stuff with and it worked. I did re-watch your tutorial in case I missed something. Although, the latest release of Construct 3 had a notable feature called "Template Mode" which I used in this new project on the same character (seems to  be when I started having issues) but I tried removing that and reimporting and that didn't change the outcome. I also tried adding the new feature to the character in the old version of the project and it had a the same effect there though less parts were missing. After that I went back to the old project to try to reimport and I got this for the 2nd time (fatal error). Might be the plugin having issues with communicating with the engine but I'm not sure. As for the duplicate sprites, it's been doing that since I got Spriter but I'm not sure how to fix it. It actually happens each time (incrementing each time I do it).

Any advice on any of this? haha. I can email you my project if you are curious enough to take a look.

If you wouldn't mind, please do zip up both the spriter project and the construct project and email them to mail@brashmonkey.com so we can take a look and see what's causing the issues.

• 3 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, Chris Newton said:

All good! Just checking lol SUPER excited for Spriter 2 my dudes :) will it have a construct 3 plugin like Spriter Pro? I've been wanting to get started with it for my project because it has motion blur! :D

We do indeed plan on making a Spriter 2 plugin for C3.

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone, I have a problem I haven't been able to overcome. I have a parent bone called spine for the entire character so that I can freely rotate, transform, squash, and stretch the character. This bone was working perfectly fine but on my most recent opening of the project I found that when I stretched the spine bone it no longer deformed the sprites as it once did. Instead the spine bone is shrinking or stretching but the child bones and images are only transforming. I tried looking at the scml file in note but I couldn't tell if there was anything wrong. I also tried reversing to a previous version but that didn't work. I also tried checking software update as well as many other things before coming here. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

32 minutes ago, Chris Newton said:

Hey everyone, I have a problem I haven't been able to overcome. I have a parent bone called spine for the entire character so that I can freely rotate, transform, squash, and stretch the character. This bone was working perfectly fine but on my most recent opening of the project I found that when I stretched the spine bone it no longer deformed the sprites as it once did. Instead the spine bone is shrinking or stretching but the child bones and images are only transforming. I tried looking at the scml file in note but I couldn't tell if there was anything wrong. I also tried reversing to a previous version but that didn't work. I also tried checking software update as well as many other things before coming here. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

could you zip up the Spriter project (the folder with all images and scml file) and email it to mike@brashmonkey.com so I can take a look. Of course I won't share it with anyone and will delete it immediately once we figure out the cause of the issue.

• 2 weeks later...

I just recently downloaded Spriter and it keeps giving me the same error and I'm irriated at this point.

I'm using Windows 11 64 bit.

I downloaded both Visual 2013 64 and 86 bit

But when I try opening it, it gives me the same errors even when I install the DLL's it's looking for

https://imgur.com/a/RikEndf

I don't know why this keeps happening and this is really annoying me!

https://prnt.sc/6Gd09glLZRad

help please!

UPDATE: I got all of the dll's installed but now i'm getting a new error

The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b). Click OK to close the application.

i just want to make sprite art, send help

Edited by RangoAnimations
update

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/13/2022 at 4:44 PM, RangoAnimations said:

I just recently downloaded Spriter and it keeps giving me the same error and I'm irriated at this point.

I'm using Windows 11 64 bit.

I downloaded both Visual 2013 64 and 86 bit

But when I try opening it, it gives me the same errors even when I install the DLL's it's looking for

https://imgur.com/a/RikEndf

I don't know why this keeps happening and this is really annoying me!

https://prnt.sc/6Gd09glLZRad

help please!

UPDATE: I got all of the dll's installed but now i'm getting a new error

The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b). Click OK to close the application.

i just want to make sprite art, send help

Very sorry for the trouble. I'll look into this and report back as soon as I can.