TroubleShooting (look here if you are having an issue with Spriter!)

3 hours ago, Mike at BrashMonkey said:

Please try downloading the free non-Steam version of Spriter from here and install it and tell me if it runs for you: https://brashmonkey.com/download_spriter/

Update: I can now launch Spriter Pro from Steam.  Thank you for your assistance.

For the record, I did as you asked and attempted to run the free Spriter.  It gave me the vcomp120dll error that is mentioned on the page you linked.  After re-installing Visual C++ from the link on that page, both Spriter and Spriter Pro launch normally.

I just find it odd that there's no pop-up to let me know what was happening in the Steam version of Spriter Pro that kept it from launching.  But at least the issue is resolved, and I'm grateful for that.  Thank you again.

On 12/6/2016 at 1:14 AM, gamerwoman3d said:

Update: I can now launch Spriter Pro from Steam.  Thank you for your assistance.

For the record, I did as you asked and attempted to run the free Spriter.  It gave me the vcomp120dll error that is mentioned on the page you linked.  After re-installing Visual C++ from the link on that page, both Spriter and Spriter Pro launch normally.

I just find it odd that there's no pop-up to let me know what was happening in the Steam version of Spriter Pro that kept it from launching.  But at least the issue is resolved, and I'm grateful for that.  Thank you again.

Thanks much for the update. I'm glad you got it working. I'll ask Edgar if there's any way we can get the Steam version to show an error message if the dll is missing.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, I had always used Spriter Pro on Steam without trouble, I had a couple of months without using it and yesterday I tried to work on a project, I opened Steam and once it updated I tried to run Spriter Pro and got this message:

"Spriter cannot be opened because of a problem."

Then Steam keeps Spriter running even tho I can't see anything and I need to force quit. (I'm working on OSX 10.11.6)

I tried reinstalling and the problem persists, I downloaded the free version from this site and that one works well, but Spriter Pro still crashes Steam.

Do you know what's going on or what can I do?

Thanks a lot! 

Screen Shot 2016-12-23 at 6.07.05 PM.png

6 hours ago, Sathania said:

Hello, I had always used Spriter Pro on Steam without trouble, I had a couple of months without using it and yesterday I tried to work on a project, I opened Steam and once it updated I tried to run Spriter Pro and got this message:

Then Steam keeps Spriter running even tho I can't see anything and I need to force quit. (I'm working on OSX 10.11.6)

I tried reinstalling and the problem persists, I downloaded the free version from this site and that one works well, but Spriter Pro still crashes Steam.

Do you know what's going on or what can I do?

Thanks a lot! 

Screen Shot 2016-12-23 at 6.07.05 PM.png

A new update for the mac version was just released hours ago. Please make sure its updated ( http://gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/127901/is-there-a-way-to-manually-update-a-game )  and see if that fixes things for you.  Be sure a broken Spriter is not running in the background as that might disallow it from updating.

• 1 month later...

Hi. I have the same issue as _syn_ack_ but I'm running Kubuntu 16.10. Is there any chance that Spriter will be able to run without libpng12 (with only libpng16)? I've bought the Pro version on Humble Bundle recently and it's a bit shame that I can't use it.

Okay. So I did some things while writing this post. To make Spriter work on Kubuntu 16.10 (so... yakkety) I had to install some packages from xenial.

These are links in order which I installed them.

http://packages.ubuntu.com/hu/xenial/libpng12-0

http://packages.ubuntu.com/hu/xenial/libgstreamer0.10-0

http://packages.ubuntu.com/hu/xenial/libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-0

I don't know if Spriter won't crash during work but it opens. I'm running the Steam version btw. It doesn't open from the Steam window but if I run it from the terminal like ./Spriter while being in its root directory it works.

• 2 months later...

Hello everyone!

I've been having an issue with tweening lately; When I create a new frame and move/rotate stuff around, the first frame gets messed up (for example, if I rotate the legs in a new frame, they get randomly rotated in the first frame too).

I never had this issue before, so I presume it's an option I accidentally turned on?

Thanks.

Just now, amantino said:

Hello everyone!

I've been having an issue with tweening lately; When I create a new frame and move/rotate stuff around, the first frame gets messed up (for example, if I rotate the legs in a new frame, they get randomly rotated in the first frame too).

I never had this issue before, so I presume it's an option I accidentally turned on?

Thanks.

I recommend you zip up your Spriter project and send it to mail@brashmonkey.com so we can take a look at it. Ideally, a screen recording showing the initial key-frame before it gets "corrupted", then you making changes to a later key-frame, and then the resulting change to the initial key-frame.

Is there a key frame for the things that are getting changed in the first place (there usually is) or are they missing? Do you know how to expand the timeline window to expose the key frames for each specific object?

Hey Mike, thanks for the quick response.

Incredibly, from the moment I turned on Fraps the problem ceased to happen and I haven't been able to replicate it since.

I'll send you the video and the project as soon as the problem happens again, but in the meanwhile, do you have a theoretical idea why this would happen?

Keyframes were created automatically every time this happened, so it's not a keyframe issue. Could it be the bones not connected to the sprites properly?

Thanks,

Vukasin

10 minutes ago, amantino said:

Hey Mike, thanks for the quick response.

Incredibly, from the moment I turned on Fraps the problem ceased to happen and I haven't been able to replicate it since.

I'll send you the video and the project as soon as the problem happens again, but in the meanwhile, do you have a theoretical idea why this would happen?

Keyframes were created automatically every time this happened, so it's not a keyframe issue. Could it be the bones not connected to the sprites properly?

Thanks,

Vukasin

It's too hard to guess without seeing the before, after, and what you're doing in-between. BUT yes, Spriter allows for completely different bone hierarchies per key frame... so make sure everything is attached to the proper bone in every key-frame... it's possible you accidentally de-parented an image at some point.

• 1 month later...
On 7/6/2016 at 4:57 PM, Mike at BrashMonkey said:

Hi CyberDagger. Please try the following:  please install the Visual Studio 2013 C++ runtime. If you are on 32 bit Windows you only need the 32 bit version. If you are on 64 bit Windows, you will need to install both the 32 bit and 64 bit versions. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40784

Mike the link is dead. It needs to be updated. I can't find Visual Studio 2013 C++ runtime on the Microsoft site. The only runtime I can find is for 2017 x64 and x86. I'm running 10 x64 which one should I download?

I answered my own question: The link to the x86 Visual Studio C++ 2013 redistributable is HERE. It's slightly annoying having to install a redistributable package to get the application to work. It's even more annoying having to hunt for it on Microsoft's enormous site. Spriter works, and I can play with it now!

:-D

19 minutes ago, Teddyboy16 said:

I answered my own question: The link to the x86 Visual Studio C++ 2013 redistributable is HERE. It's slightly annoying having to install a redistributable package to get the application to work. It's even more annoying having to hunt for it on Microsoft's enormous site. Spriter works, and I can play with it now!

:-D

Sorry for the inconvenience. I'm glad you managed to figure it out and get it working. Most people who install Spriter don't run into this issue, but apparently, a minority of Windows installs are lacking the required DLL files. We'll continue to work on improving compatibility with future updates.

1 hour ago, Mike at BrashMonkey said:

Sorry for the inconvenience. I'm glad you managed to figure it out and get it working. Most people who install Spriter don't run into this issue, but apparently, a minority of Windows installs are lacking the required DLL files. We'll continue to work on improving compatibility with future updates.

No problem Mike. I haven't had to install a redistrutable in a long time. This is the first time I had to do that on my new laptop. 

I've been working on assets in MS paint. When loading them into Spriter, the transperent parts remain white, instead of being invisible, so I have a big what square with the entity in the middle. Is MS paint not a viable option for Spriter? Or am I doing something wrong? They are saved as PNG's like the Grey Guy assets, but those work fine, mine don't. I tried to look this up elsewhere but couldn't find an answer, so If I missed a tutorial or topic on this forum that could help, please link me too it.

Sorry for the delayed reply. White is not transparent. In nearly any program, when you're using a transparent background it will be displayed as a checkerboard pattern. It sounds like you drew directly onto a white layer and not a transparent layer. Also be sure to trim your images before saving them. You should NEVER have an image floating in the middle of a giant field of empty space, this is incredibly un-optimized for your game and for Spriter. I highly recommend you learn to use Krita from www.krita.org its a fantastic and FREE graphics program with much more professional features and much better geared for game art creation (or art creation in general)

If you want to keep using MS Pain, then you'll have to Google "save image with transparent background in MS Paint" or something like that to learn how to do so (if it's possible. I assume so, but don't use MS Paint)

13 hours ago, SkreamnRedSkull said:

I've been working on assets in MS paint. When loading them into Spriter, the transperent parts remain white, instead of being invisible, so I have a big what square with the entity in the middle. Is MS paint not a viable option for Spriter? Or am I doing something wrong? They are saved as PNG's like the Grey Guy assets, but those work fine, mine don't. I tried to look this up elsewhere but couldn't find an answer, so If I missed a tutorial or topic on this forum that could help, please link me too it.

13 hours ago, Mike at BrashMonkey said:

Sorry for the delayed reply. White is not transparent. In nearly any program, when you're using a transparent background it will be displayed as a checkerboard pattern. It sounds like you drew directly onto a white layer and not a transparent layer. Also be sure to trim your images before saving them. You should NEVER have an image floating in the middle of a giant field of empty space, this is incredibly un-optimized for your game and for Spriter. I highly recommend you learn to use Krita from www.krita.org its a fantastic and FREE graphics program with much more professional features and much better geared for game art creation (or art creation in general)

If you want to keep using MS Pain, then you'll have to Google "save image with transparent background in MS Paint" or something like that to learn how to do so (if it's possible. I assume so, but don't use MS Paint)

Your response was fast enough for me! Thank you. I'll try this program out. MS paint doesn't have actual transparent layers, it only lets you select a color to use as a transparent, so It's safe to say Paint is my problem.

• 1 month later...

Hi Mike

For some reason, spriter is taking 5+ minutes to save the project and/or the character maps. Sometimes I just give up and close it forcefully : / I've noticed two other behaviours that used to be fast and now have slowed down a lot:  one, changing the colour palette, which also seems to hang for a while, and two, loading a character map. 

I've 5 animations modified from the original 128x128 heroes pack project --but instead of having them as they come (one for up, one for down, one for left and one for right) I've one for walk, one for idle, one for idle-blink, and one for activate. I've noticed this behaviour recently (actually, since I put together the activate animation couple of days back.).  I've deleted all the other animations in the hopes it would help, but no luck.

Also had a look at my objects-- noticed I had done some copy-paste wrong and had several duplicated objects, so deleted them all and copied in a way they're always the same instance. It didn't help either.

My laptop has 16GB ram, and this is what Spriter is taking -- so I'm hoping it's not running out of memory. Or is it? Is there a way of making it get more memory for itself (I can do that with Photoshop). Spriter version is Pro R11 (steam).

The character maps seem to have around 22.000 lines now, and the project file 16.500 lines. I think I've added like 3 or 4 objects additionally to what was in the character pack originally, not sure if these amount is normal or something's wrong with my files somehow.

Is there any recommendation project-wise? Maybe there's too many objects? Or too many... somethings? :) I can share my files if it helps.

Thanks!

18 minutes ago, Rosqui said:

Hi Mike

For some reason, spriter is taking 5+ minutes to save the project and/or the character maps. Sometimes I just give up and close it forcefully : / I've noticed two other behaviours that used to be fast and now have slowed down a lot:  one, changing the colour palette, which also seems to hang for a while, and two, loading a character map. 

I've 5 animations modified from the original 128x128 heroes pack project --but instead of having them as they come (one for up, one for down, one for left and one for right) I've one for walk, one for idle, one for idle-blink, and one for activate. I've noticed this behaviour recently (actually, since I put together the activate animation couple of days back.).  I've deleted all the other animations in the hopes it would help, but no luck.

Also had a look at my objects-- noticed I had done some copy-paste wrong and had several duplicated objects, so deleted them all and copied in a way they're always the same instance. It didn't help either.

My laptop has 16GB ram, and this is what Spriter is taking -- so I'm hoping it's not running out of memory. Or is it? Is there a way of making it get more memory for itself (I can do that with Photoshop). Spriter version is Pro R11 (steam).

The character maps seem to have around 22.000 lines now, and the project file 16.500 lines. I think I've added like 3 or 4 objects additionally to what was in the character pack originally, not sure if these amount is normal or something's wrong with my files somehow.

Is there any recommendation project-wise? Maybe there's too many objects? Or too many... somethings? :) I can share my files if it helps.

Thanks!

It certainly sounds like something got somehow corrupted or mass duplicated but that's just a guess.

Can you try comparing the original packs like count for data and the character map and see if it's drastically different?

Which OS are you on?

Are you using something like Dropbox so you have "version control" and can revert back to older versions? (this is critical for production work so you don't lose tons of time/work due to situations like this)

If you'd like, you can email your Spriter project (zip up the entire folder with scml and all images etc) to mail@brashmonkey.com and we'll take a look when we get the chance.

Hi Mike

Sorry for the late reply, I thought I'd get an email when someone answered. Silly me, didn't see the tick at the bottom to get a notification.

I use Windows 10 home, latests patch. 

I've not compared the files, will do later on today and post back.  I don't have version control as such, but have some copies of the files for the older versions. I'll start doing more versions now!   Happy to send the files, in case there is anything we can do. Will keep you posted.

Thanks!

Hi Mike

I can see the size of several of my files is strange indeed. One of the toon's maps is 10Ks in size, when they're usually 1.2K or something. The original project file seems to have around 15K lines, so "just" 1.5K lines  from the 16.5K lines of the one I'm working with. I've noticed it has reduced size and lines to 14.K last time I used it. I guess because I deleted some of the animations.

I was not very sure where to send you the files, so I send them to mail@brashmonkey.com.  

Thanks!

2 hours ago, Bryan Brady said:

Hi, just purchased spriter pro and the Bone function doesn't assign itself to the sprite image. I hold B and image goes semi-transparent and I left click the image and nothing. Please help!

What operating system are you on?
Are you on the very beginning of the timeline and do you not have any other frames in the animation yet?
Are you doing the following?
1) Left click the bone you want to attach an image or other bone to in order to make sure it's selected.

2) Hold down the B key and keep it held down.

3) With B still held down, single left click on the image or bone you want to be a child of the bone you originally selected. (this will make the image opaque instead of semi-transparent)

At this point, you should be able to rotate the parent bone to test if image or bone you just made a child rotates with it.

Is the image going solid at all, or going solid for a split second and then going back to semi transparent when you left click on it with the B key held down?

thanks.