TroubleShooting (look here if you are having an issue with Spriter!)

Hi Everyone, This will evolve into an official "troubleshooting list" which I'll update with the most frequently reported issues and their solutions. If you do not find the solution to a problem you're facing with Spriter in this list, please report it in this thread. Thanks.

1) Spriter refuses to open! (Windows)

The first thing you should try is downloading the following link, unzipping it, and running the resulting installers: 
https://brashmonkey.com/forum/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=1838&key=435c1b06fcf5ea5ed3c29a4f1325d850

If that doesn't work, try the other options below, but first try restarting your system.

We've heard from many users that installing the trial or full version of Adobe creative suite./Photoshop resolves this issue! It must install the dll file that Spriter needs during it's install process.
https://www.adobe.com/sea/creativecloud/start-with-free-creativecloud.html

If you don't want to or can't install the Adobe creative cloud, then please do the following:

Please install the Visual Studio 2013 C++ runtime. If you are on 32 bit Windows you only need the 32 bit version (x86). If you are on 64 bit Windows, you will need to install both the 32 bit (_x86) and 64 bit versions. http://download.microsoft.com/download/0/5/6/056dcda9-d667-4e27-8001-8a0c6971d6b1/vcredist_x64.exe
The  32 bit version can be found here:http://download.microsoft.com/download/0/5/6/056dcda9-d667-4e27-8001-8a0c6971d6b1/vcredist_x86.exe
IMPORTANT: If you try to install Visual Studio 2013 and the installer says you already have a newer version, then you need to uninstall the newer version so that 2013 can successfully install. Windows update will later install the latest version, but you'll keep the DLL Files Spriter needed. 

ATTENTION WINDOWS 11 USERS: For one user, Spriter still wouldn't work after trying all of the above fixes, but then found info about another program which also woudn't start on Windows 11 and the same solution for that program worked for his Spriter issue. Here's what he did:

"I copied (don't move!) from C:\Windows\SysWOW64:

mscvp100.dll
msvcr100.dll
msvcr100_clr0400.dll
xinput1_3.dll 

and from C:\Windows\System32

mfc100.dll
mfc100u.dll

^^ Again copy those don't move them or you will break other things!

to the base Spriter directory (C:\Program Files(x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Spriter\) and it now works."

2) When I re-open my Spriter project, some or all images are missing!

Don't forget, Spriter files are only text files that store coordinates, angles etc, and only make reference to the image files that are being used. This means if you move the image files to a new location (or delete or rename them) OR move the Spriter file to a new location separate from where the images were, the Spriter file will no longer be able to find the images that it needs. For this reason, when starting a new Spriter project, always create a folder just for that project, put all the images you'll be needing in that folder (organized in sub-folders as needed) and then create your Spriter project/file into that project folder you've just created.

3) When I start Spriter, there are graphical glitches or a black canvas area and I can't drag my images to the canvas.

There is a known graphic-driver compatibility issue that especially effects some Macs that causes these types of problems. Try choosing View/Disable Open GL from Spriter's menu and then restarting Spriter. This will hopefully resolve the problem.  We'll continue to try to improve performance and compatibility issues with future free update builds.

4) When I try to export a finished animation as PNG images, GIF etc. Spriter hangs up or crashes.

This sort of problem can be caused by a couple of different reasons:

• Spriter might be running out of memory during the export process.. This limit will depend greatly on your hardware's own specs, but trying to reduce the scale of your project, the desired FPS or changing the cropping of your animation to a smaller custom rectangle might resolve the issue.
  • A French Spriter user recently discovered that having Spriter installed in a folder that uses non English characters such as "ç" or "è", or having your Spriter project folder of image sub folder names etc including such characters was the cause of crashes they were experiencing while trying to export his animations.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

I noticed that the animation preview lags a lot , misses frames and in general I can`t work this way.

I installed it in a different computer and it goes very well.

So maybe in the current computer the problem is those C++  32 and 64 bit I need to install,

but when I try I get an error message because "A newer version of Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable has been detected on the machine."

And I am asked to fix it.

How do I fix it? How is it possible to have a more advanced version than the one from the official Microsof site?

Thanks in advance.

Have you tried the new beta build of Spriter..
http://brashmonkey.com/forum/index.php?/topic/4490-linux-mac-and-windows-users-please-test-spriter-r5/#comment-14195

It's possible this will improve performance on your system. Also, if Spriter is working, you do not need to install the Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable .

Cheers.

Hello,

Recently been having some issues with Spriter animations looking different in Unity. Different keyframes and different curves.

Video of issue:

https://youtu.be/KEPUV1w_crc

https://youtu.be/S6Te08rdcEk

Wondering if this is a known issue and if there's any workarounds?

I've tried the new beta build but still getting the same issue.

Once in Unity, It's becoming more time consuming having to double check and fix all the keyframes and curves. Maybe I'm doing something wrong in Spriter/Unity?

Using the most recent Spriter2UnityDX.unitypackage from Github

Unity version 5.2.2f1

Spriter Pro - Steam version

Spriter beta - Windows

4 minutes ago, jjmm said:

Hello,

Recently been having some issues with Spriter animations looking different in Unity. Different keyframes and different curves.

Video of issue:

https://youtu.be/KEPUV1w_crc

https://youtu.be/S6Te08rdcEk

Wondering if this is a known issue and if there's any workarounds?

I've tried the new beta build but still getting the same issue.

Once in Unity, It's becoming more time consuming having to double check and fix all the keyframes and curves. Maybe I'm doing something wrong in Spriter/Unity?

Using the most recent Spriter2UnityDX.unitypackage from Github

Unity version 5.2.2f1

Spriter Pro - Steam version

Spriter beta - Windows

This is not the proper sort of post for here. This thread is for Spriter specific issues, not Spriter run-times in different programming languages or authoring systems. I suggest you repost this issue in the thread dedicated to that particular Unity implementation.

Also, you might want to look into the new SpriterDotNet implementation for Unity, because to my knowledge Spriter2Unity only supports standard linear curves and non of the other curve types. http://brashmonkey.com/forum/index.php?/topic/4477-spriterdotnetunity/

On Friday, November 27, 2015, BrashAdmin said:

Have you tried the new beta build of Spriter..
http://brashmonkey.com/forum/index.php?/topic/4490-linux-mac-and-windows-users-please-test-spriter-r5/#comment-14195

It's possible this will improve performance on your system. Also, if Spriter is working, you do not need to install the Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable .

Cheers.

I tried it in both my PCs.

It installs ok, but then it will not launch. Then, if I uninstall it, it leaves two files that block the original version from being installed and

they cannot be deleted even manually, unless I restart my computers.

So I have installed the 4.1 version again.

Which I notice this issue: I import the images as skins so I have the deformation feature, seems to work ok. Then I save and close spriter.

When I reopen it, the images I hadn`t deformed in advance seem to have returned to the "image" mode, the deforming cage does not appear,

only to the ones I deformed immediately when I imported them as skins.

Is that normal?

When you installed the Non-steam version, did you install in its default place (something like C:program files) or did you install it over the Steam version? (I and others have had no issue installing and running both the Steam and Non-Steam versions without such a conflict.. so this is likely a new bug that doesn't affect everyone. There must be something specific to your PC OS/configuration) Can you give us more info for which version of Windows you're using, and general hardware specs?

It definitely sounds like you found a bug in the skin feature, but remember, its a place-holder, disposable feature that is not supported for bugs.. if you want to continue using that feature it's at your own risk that you might run into other bugs that might cause you to lose work etc.  A work-around would be to always perform a slight manipulation of each skin mode object just after creating it to ensure this doesn't cause you additional issues.

Thanks.

I did both ways.

First over the steam version, then cleaned up everything and did it in its default.

Both the same issue, and in both my Laptops.

In both I use windows 8. One is a Lenovo G505, 4GB RAM , 350 GB disc,  the other is a Sony Vaio PCG 41218M, 6 GB RAM total, 250 GB disc.

I made a video, showing the issues that occur

https://youtu.be/8gXwi08VVoI

1) As you see, if I import the images as sprites, when I change the Z order it works. But when I import the next two as skins and I change the order,

even though displayed in the palette, it is not displayed in the preview. To achieve the second, I need to shut and relaunch Spriter.

2) I seem not to be able to attach the bones to the skinned image. It is possible I didn`t get correctly what the tutorial says, so let me know.

I click on the bone, then I double click on the image, but to attaching. Also, I get this white cage without the control point arrows, this doesn`t appear

in the tutorial and I don`t know how to get the arrows appear. 

What I want to find out is if these issues are coming from bugs, if they are coming from my computers ( but from both of them...?) or if I am doing something

wrong, so I know what I have to compromise with.

Thank you for your help.

@Speed,

For getting the Beta to run, it's the non-Steam version. So please don't try installing it in the Steam apps folder. Please completely delete the Spriter folder where you installed the non-steam version (typically something like c:program-files/spriter) and then try a fresh install of the beta build to the same place (it's default location).  You're the first and only person to report this beta build not booting and we need to establish why.. the first step is a fresh install, being sure nothing is in that folder that doesn't belong there. The Steam version installed in the Steam Apps folder should have no effect on the non-steam version install.

As for the Skin mode bugs.. the best person to answer your questions are bwwd, as he has by far the most experience with skin mode and working around it's bugs.  He might  be able to tell you if it's a bug specific to your workflow or OS/hardware config or if he experiences it too.

thanks.

I have done as you say, I cleared everything related to spriter from C/program files ( x86 )  and installed the Beta but still the same in both computer.

Would you like to arrange to give you access via teamviewer to my computer to see for yourself what may be wrong?

I have messaged you my skype id,  let me know if you agree.

• 2 weeks later...

Youre doing everything wrong, first assign skins to bones and finish their setup, then its time to move them to ger proper Z order, dont do it at the beginning.Once skin setup is completed and you cant edit it anymore to add new segments then you can change their z order, it doesnt work if you do it before finishing setup, is it a bug ? Yes , but not a major one for me, just look for workarounds.Skins mode is working fine , just have to figure out your workflow and what to avoid.also when you see that wireframe ractangle leftover after previous character then close spriter and open it again.

Where did you get "double click to " attach ? No tutorial says this, double click is for finishing skin setup, i think you just didnt do your homework.Go to brashmonkey youtube channel and watch every video.I did.

Of course i could just mention all the shortcuts to help you but i wont, watch their tutorials.

53 minutes ago, bwwd said:

Youre doing everything wrong, first assign skins to bones and finish their setup, then its time to move them to ger proper Z order, dont do it at the beginning.Once skin setup is completed and you cant edit it anymore to add new segments then you can change their z order, it doesnt work if you do it before finishing setup, is it a bug ? Yes , but not a major one for me, just look for workarounds.Skins mode is working fine , just have to figure out your workflow and what to avoid.also when you see that wireframe ractangle leftover after previous character then close spriter and open it again.

Where did you get "double click to " attach ? No tutorial says this, double click is for finishing skin setup, i think you just didnt do your homework.Go to brashmonkey youtube channel and watch every video.I did.

Of course i could just mention all the shortcuts to help you but i wont, watch their tutorials.

Thanks for the help Bwwd. Just keep in mind however that english is not my native language, so I may mishear some of what the tutorials say. It would be great if there was a way to have them in written text . I will try what you suggest and report the results, thanks again.

Ok i made it work... but here is the issue.

I imported images as skins, made the bones, attached the skins to the bones.

Everything well so far. Then i changes the Z order. Saved the project, closed Spriter and reloaded it.

I loaded the project by the "load recent projects" command.

All images appeared dettached from the skeleton, one on top of the other in a distance. Also, they were not skins any more, just sprites.

Have you met this bug Bwwd ?

Can I report any glitches here?

- When you want to save in .scon if you first select the file to recover .scml name and then only if you select the format .scon Spriter does not take into account the change and records .scml

- Sometimes I do not know and reproduce easily. When you are doing "Control + z" to undo several changes. Spriter loses all animation keys of the current animation.

I note today the problems I encounter as they persist version to version.

Version Française au cas ou:
Puis-je signaler les tout petits soucis içi ?
- Quand vous voulez sauvegarder en .scon, si vous sélectionnez d'abord le fichier .scml pour récupérer le nom et si vous sélectionnez seulement ensuite le format .scon Spriter ne prend pas en compte le changement et enregistre en .scml

- Parfois et je ne sais pas le reproduire facilement. Lorsque que vous faîtes "contrôle + z" pour annuler plusieurs fois des modifications. Spriter perd toutes les clefs d'animations de l'animation en cours.
Je vous signale aujourd'hui les problèmes que je rencontre car ils perdurent de version en version.

On Sunday, December 13, 2015 at 2:57 PM, BrashAdmin said:

I think I remember reading if you don't make at least one edit to the skin after creating it, then this will happen. Hopefully bwwd can confirm.

Ok, I managed to work around most of the issues.

Now I want to understand the maps, so I can have the same animations with multiple outfits.

I read the "help" instructions and followed the steps, but maybe I am doing some step wrong. Here is a video of what I am doing

https://youtu.be/nsBbF3y3PoM

After 1.30 I finish the setup and go to click the "maps" button.

Then "generate new map"

Then I want to change whole folders. So I click on the left column "arms" and right click on the right column "arms" from Rogue folder

( because the left column has the Base parts).

Same process for the "body".

I click ok.

I transfer new character map from available to active.

But there is no change.

What do I do wrong? Thank you in advance for your help.

I just watched the video. Sorry. I didn't spot the link earlier. Was only skimming and not reading.

My best guess is you were not quite doing the right thing to assign one folder to another. You should click the arrow to expand the folder so you can see the images, this will make it very obvious for you when you've done it properly... or, with so few images, you can do it per image at a time if need be.

cheers.

-Mike at BrashMonkey

About this:

Can I report any glitches here?

- When you want to save in .scon if you first select the file to recover .scml name and then only if you select the format .scon Spriter does not take into account the change and records .scml

- Sometimes I do not know and reproduce easily. When you are doing "Control + z" to undo several changes. Spriter loses all animation keys of the current animation.

I note today the problems I encounter as they persist version to version.

Is this the right place to put the message. These worries are they known?

thank you very much

@hieronimsNo, there is a thread specifically for bugs. Please post bugs there from now on. : http://brashmonkey.com/forum/index.php?/topic/4506-spriter-r5-bug-thread/

Thanks very much for reporting these issues. When you do, please be sure to mention the OS you're using Spriter on and the Spriter version number. (and in the thread I linked too here.)