OSX/Retina Display Problem

blacksails

Do you guys have an ETA on the fix for the OS/X retina display issues? It looks like the issue with the UI being squashed on retina systems was reported at least as early as November last year (http://brashmonkey.com/forum/index.php?/topic/3539-gui-looks-bad-on-macbook-pro-retina/).

-The MakeUseOf article you guys have been sharing as a possible fix is from 2013 and the third party program it suggests we download (Retinizer) doesn't significantly change the Spriter UI.

-The other fix I've seen on the forum here is to run Spriter in low-resolution mode, which was actually enabled by-default on my machine and also doesn't fix the issue.

I don't mean to be rude--there's a lot about Spriter that I really love and my Windows version works great--but not fixing this is going to alienate a lot of mac users like myself and push us to go use other tools like Core Animator which are in the same price range. Are we to interpret the slow response to this issue as a sign that you have few mac users and have therefore put mac bug-fixes on the back-burner?

Also, while I have your attention, I'm wondering whether you guys are already aware of the character map bug for OS X where dragging-and-dropping character maps doesn't activate them like it should. Works fine on Windows. You should be able to reproduce the problem by trying to apply a character map on a Mac version of Spriter...if not, I'm happy to provide any information you want to help identify why I'm having the problem...I can reproduce it every time.

Hi blacksails,

You're partly right about Mac support in that there are drastically fewer Mac users than PC users (for nearly any software that's on both platforms). This can make it much less financially feasible to focus on Mac specific problems if there are issues affecting many more users on the PC version.

However in this case, this issue also affects windows users with systems that are using very high res monitors. Also, fixing the issue should fix it for both platforms simultaneously. It's definitely one of the first issues we plan to resolve in the next update build, which as you likely know is has been delayed for far longer than anyone would like.

The good news is we should be able to start on the next update build soon, and will let the community know as soon as we have.

Sorry for the delay.

Cheers.

• 3 weeks later...

It's a high priority. It is one of the first things we try to address with the up-coming update build. In the mean-time you could try this: http://brashmonkey.com/forum/index.php?/topic/3539-gui-looks-bad-on-macbook-pro-retina/

"I've found that if you open the app in 'low resolution' mode the problem mostly goes away.

To do this quit the app and find the Spriter.app file in Finder. Right click the file and choose 'Get Info' followed by "Open in Low Resolution".

It doesn't completely fix it and it looks a little blurry, but the object properties now display properly, which was the main problem for me."

@BrashAdmin Thanks, it doesn't look nice but at least I can see object properties now.

Since I had purchased Spriter from Steam I needed to follow these steps:

1. In Finder clicked Go -> Go to folder...
  2. Entered /Users/MyUser/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Spriter
  3. Right-clicked Spriter.app
  4. Checked Open in low resolution checkbox