Mass Z order change?

aiat_gamer

I have a tail that is made op from about 25 pieces,  I want to add them to few already made animations. The problem is that every time I paste the tail to an animation, it is placed on top of everything. I have to choose each section one by one and move them to the back, is there any way I can change the Z order of more than one sprite at a time? I tried selecting on the Z-order section by holding control, then choosing the move to bottom in Z order but it did not work. Do I have to go over them one by one every time?! 

There's an option "copy Z-order to all frames". Fix the z-order on any frame, then while on that frame, then choose "Edit/Copy Z-Order to Other Frames"

cheers.

Hi Mike, Thanks for the answer. Yes I already know about this. I guess I was not clear:

I have quite a few animations: Walk, run, hit, jump...I know I can copy the Z order to other frames, that is no problem. I am talking about the first time I paste the tail to the first frame of each animation. All 26 sections will be placed over the top and I need to move them one by one to bottom. This is what I mean:

Is this video where you make the tail, next part all of the tail sections are placed behind the character, did you move them one by one?

Oh. right, sorry I misunderstood. Unfortunately at the moment you can't shift z order of multiple objects at a time, and would also have to fix the z-order in one frame and then use the copy z-order to other frames option for each animation.

We'll be sure to add these features in a future update build, but we cant say how soon that will be.

Oh. right, sorry I misunderstood. Unfortunately at the moment you can't shift z order of multiple objects at a time, and would also have to fix the z-order in one frame and then use the copy z-order to other frames option for each animation.

We'll be sure to add these features in a future update build, but we cant say how soon that will be.

Ok, thanks! Yes that would be a useful feature to have ;)

• 4 years later...

I don't want to go digging up old posts, but did this ever happen?  I'm editing a file now, and for some reason it has dozens of keyframes, and am trying to avoid the rather arduous task of editing Every frame individually.  Honestly I'm a little surprised I can't simply create a second list of keyframes, so I can just edit a single images basic animation, while all the others remain finely detailed.

22 hours ago, FurryEskimo said:

I don't want to go digging up old posts, but did this ever happen?  I'm editing a file now, and for some reason it has dozens of keyframes, and am trying to avoid the rather arduous task of editing Every frame individually.  Honestly I'm a little surprised I can't simply create a second list of keyframes, so I can just edit a single images basic animation, while all the others remain finely detailed.

I don't understand what you're describing. If you're referring to changing the z order across entire animations you can fix the z-order how you want it in any key frame and then choose the option to copy the z-order across the entire animation.

Perhaps I'm blind, but I don't see an option to 'copy the z-order across the entire animation.'  I can paste to all key frames, but that's about it.

Also I'm sorry, I'll try to describe it better.  I have an animation of a tent with a lot of key frames, used to make the tent sway as the player sleeps.  I wanted to add a lantern outside of the tent that sways just a little in a soft breeze.  It should be very easy to animate, using only a few key frames.  The problem is, it seems like I need to animate the lantern for each existing key frame, which is considerably harder.

48 minutes ago, FurryEskimo said:

Perhaps I'm blind, but I don't see an option to 'copy the z-order across the entire animation.'  I can paste to all key frames, but that's about it.

Also I'm sorry, I'll try to describe it better.  I have an animation of a tent with a lot of key frames, used to make the tent sway as the player sleeps.  I wanted to add a lantern outside of the tent that sways just a little in a soft breeze.  It should be very easy to animate, using only a few key frames.  The problem is, it seems like I need to animate the lantern for each existing key frame, which is considerably harder.

Ah, you are not blind. That has nothing to do with Z order. Spriter was really designed to animate individual objects which would be assembled into full scenes inside games. it's not really designed to animate entire scenes with separate objects animating separately. The problem is everything shares the same key frames and easing if you turn easing on from any key to another. Spriter 2 will be much better suited to animating entire scenes. 

Ah, ok, I think I understand.
Being able to animate a scene as you call it, would certainly be helpful.  I was hoping that I could take this original animation that has lots of key frames, and add my simple animation directly to it, with only a few key frames.

Until Spriter 2 comes out I guess I'm doing this the hard way!  Phew! 

On 9/5/2020 at 11:32 PM, FurryEskimo said:

Ah, ok, I think I understand.
Being able to animate a scene as you call it, would certainly be helpful.  I was hoping that I could take this original animation that has lots of key frames, and add my simple animation directly to it, with only a few key frames.

Until Spriter 2 comes out I guess I'm doing this the hard way!  Phew! 

You could export the animation as sequential images and animate the other object separately and then combine them together after the fact, especially if this is for inside a game.

I actually tried that.  (This is for Don't Starve Together)
I know there's a way to layer the animations in game, as well as a way to replace parts of the animation of another animation (eg. Replacing a tent and empty basket with a tent and basket full of food, while the tent's flaps continue to sway in the wind.)  Unfortunately all of my attempts to do this so far have unexpectedly failed, and the last failure was so intense the whole file seemed to break and I needed to revert an hour's worth of work.  Honestly I have no idea what happened, almost certainly my own fault, but thank Goodness Notebook++'s Crtl+Z function can go back as far as it can, because I had No idea what I'd broken.

• 1 year later...
11 minutes ago, Dustin McMurry said:

I am also having the same issue as the OP and that was seven years ago. When will this be addressed? It is incredibly tedious moving every element of a face one by one because of a change in hairstyle.

There's an option "copy Z-order to all frames". Fix the z-order on any frame, then while on that frame, then choose "Edit/Copy Z-Order to Other Frames"

sorry, there is no option to copy a z-order across all animations.