My foray into animating

aiat_gamer

So I have been using the Spriter for about a month now, and I have done some basic animation for jumping, running and walking using pre-made art. Today I made my first animation for the game I am working on:

KNPgYf.gif

This took me much more than I anticipated...! The front legs were easy, but getting the back legs really messed me up. I think it took around 3 hours  :eek: . Of course I am a total noob so...It still requires some tweaking but the general animation is ok I think. 

You will be hearing from me a lot more in the upcoming days and weeks. 

Hi aiat_gamer,

The leg animation is smooth and realistic, congrats!

You decided to hide the eyes under the hair, which makes the whole picture a bit difficult to comprehend at first. Initially I did not notice the 'mouth' and thought the head was 'looking' to my left and the legs where coming out of the eyesockets (the 2 visible wounds). I thought the nose was an ear and the lower jaw was the neck... :)

Your future art will take less time to create, a lot of efficiency comes from experience

Good luck!

Hi aiat_gamer,

The leg animation is smooth and realistic, congrats!

You decided to hide the eyes under the hair, which makes the whole picture a bit difficult to comprehend at first. Initially I did not notice the 'mouth' and thought the head was 'looking' to my left and the legs where coming out of the eyesockets (the 2 visible wounds). I thought the nose was an ear and the lower jaw was the neck... :)

Your future art will take less time to create, a lot of efficiency comes from experience

Good luck!

Haha, thanks.

Yeah the art still needs work, this is more or less the first draft. I just wanted to have something to start with the animation process. This might be easier to discern when NOT against a while background but thanks for the feedback, I will try to change somethings in it. 

I hope it is ok to post, but I used Spineboy`s character part to practice my basic animation poses (they look a bit choppy since I used GifCam to make the GIFs).

tumblr_inline_nrygkmS4Bo1t2d195_500.gif

tumblr_inline_nrygl4avVw1t2d195_500.gif

tumblr_inline_nryglt9Ehv1t2d195_500.gif

tumblr_inline_nryglk2kSo1t2d195_500.gif

What I found out is that the way your animation looks depends highly on the quality of the sprites, I think! I did the same using some other rough made sprites:

tumblr_inline_nst84lnSYL1t2d195_500.gif

tumblr_inline_nst8ivC7ly1t2d195_500.gif

And they look not that good. (That head bob while running, I did it one purpose, I wanted some goofy looking run animation). I will soon add a new animation to that my "crawling enemy", should be fun  :-P

• 1 month later...

So, it has been a while since I posted something hasn't it? I have been pretty busy with stuff, some of them I cant show yet but I have done some stuff for smaller projects:

tumblr_inline_nuoi0wBfTH1t2d195_500.gif  tumblr_inline_nuoi11nY7Y1t2d195_500.gif tumblr_inline_nuoi30gGVQ1t2d195_500.gif

And I tried my hand at the FFD function of Spriter too:

tumblr_inline_nuoi7xKw4H1t2d195_500.gif  tumblr_inline_nuoic95X2z1t2d195_500.gif  tumblr_inline_nuoid8aHMP1t2d195_500.gif

I really hope it gets ready soon! Right now it is pretty fiddly and buggy some times.

I really like these dude :D do more!!!

So, it has been a while since I posted something hasn't it? I have been pretty busy with stuff, some of them I cant show yet but I have done some stuff for smaller projects:

tumblr_inline_nuoi0wBfTH1t2d195_500.gif  tumblr_inline_nuoi11nY7Y1t2d195_500.gif tumblr_inline_nuoi30gGVQ1t2d195_500.gif

And I tried my hand at the FFD function of Spriter too:

tumblr_inline_nuoi7xKw4H1t2d195_500.gif  tumblr_inline_nuoic95X2z1t2d195_500.gif  tumblr_inline_nuoid8aHMP1t2d195_500.gif

I really hope it gets ready soon! Right now it is pretty fiddly and buggy some times.

• 2 weeks later...

Ahh facing right. If it the best for you i undertand. Also i like the bang aha. Love the blue cloak. I dont know yet how to work with skin so i get amazed who use it.

There is a semi-tutorial on it, but to be honest I hate using it...it is very buggy and frustrating to use right now. Cant wait for the actual thin to come out though!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...