Reusability of animations on similar skeletons possible?

I've been playing with the free version for some time, contemplating also getting the Humble Bundle deal. As a developer with a 3D background, it's a common thing to share skeletons so animations you make for one model also work on the other (keeping proportions or rescaling the bones).

I was wondering if such a thing is possible in Spiner? Note that I don't mean a simple texture-swap, I mean an actual different model that shares the same skeleton but might have subtle differences and without having to animate this character, I can just apply an existing animation on top of it. Or if it is possible in theory, but that it comes down to the runtime (eg. Unity) to solve that problem? Another thing I was wondering about is the image-warping, did it get any love since the latest videos circling around on the web showcasing this?

Also - I'm seeing things about plugins and API's - does that mean the editor itself is extendable?

I'm also familiar with Spine2D, and the thing I already like more about Spriter is the fact I can have animations in animations, and also multiple projects. If reusability of animations is a thing, this would be a total win win over Spine for me.