Newbie Question: Steam Version vs Non-Steam

randomdood

Hello my fellow 2d animators. Quick question:

I was browsing steam, saw the sale for spriter, looked it up, thought the program was interesting because it follows my work flow. My question is however, is there a differance in the how the steam version handles licensing and restrictions? If I get the steam version, is it just like a normal program and I'm just buying it from steam, or am I required to launch it through steam or have steam running running in order to use it? If its the former, will I get a program key that will work with the normal version?

Hi,

In most case steam version you need a active Steam account and occasionally online to keep it activated

Personally I don't use Steam for a long while, I'd wait for a normal version sale (if that ever happen I'll buy it instantly).

I missed the early access discount when I working hard in  some company.

Personally I think you can view Steam and Standalone different versions.

As Steam takes more percent of money than the dev personally sellls it, and all the update and file transfer are handled by Steam if you choose steam version, so the brief answer is that you can't get non-Steam version when you buy Steam version.

That´s a good point Icworx. I prefer to give my money to  the dev. Didn´t though about that. Then...maybe I´ll make like you and wait for a normal version Sale(I dont know if I have the patience) 

I normally have no problem running anything on Steam Randomdood, i use it everyday, but I´m still not sure to have a DRM on an aplication like Spriter.  If I can´t play a game is not so disturbing as if I just can´t work because of an Internet issue..

Well, at least we have time to think about this until "fridays end of Steam-Sale". :D

Right, Non-steam versions can't be granted to people who purchase the Steam version. While the feature set is identical, there is a difference of using software through the Steam system... and of course, Steam is capable of occasional sales with massive discounting due to their giant marketing infrastructure etc. Honoring such prices on our own for the non-steam version, especially giving people a non-steam license on top of their heavily discounted Steam version would quickly render us financially unable to continue to make and maintain Spriter. ;)

-Mike at BrashMonkey

@Mike:

Well, if you once has a plan to set some discount to Spriter, please inform me, I will act quickly.

I need a motivation to buy this, especially I have only pretty limited budget.

[EDIT]

NVM I bought it from steam as I just get a stable router that can guarantee stable 24/7 internet connection, that helps and I decided to buy Spriter, it's a cool program!

BTW, if you're interested, I'm playing a game dev tool called SuperPowers, another HTML5 game dev kit, if one day it has support for Spriter that'll be pretty nice.

[/EDIT]

I'm a little surprised they aren't giving out keys to people who have it on Steam. I know you get the standalone version of Allegorithmic's Substance software's stand alone copies after getting it on Steam, because you can sync your Steam account with the websites account. Figured Brashmonkey might do the same. To each is own I guess, but I thought the reason the Steam versions can go on sale without the developer's permission is because Valve just lowers their cut of the profit, giving the developer the same amount of money.

That fact that people want both, or one as opposed to the other proves there's a difference, and part of that differences comes with a drastically different tolerance for price-point fluctuation.  Valve does not "absorb" any discount they offer in any way, the distribution of percents of the revenue generated stay the same.

We had been offering a steam license to those who purchased Spriter Pro from our site (non-Steam version) as a courtesy to those who purchased the non-Steam version before Spriter Pro became available on Steam.  This offer will likely soon expire though. Due to the extreme payment price variation and the relatively miniscule amount of revenue we actually get per Steam License during the sales, giving people a free and additional license (non-Steam version) is completely untenable...and would only serve to undermine our already low retail price point and definitely hinder our efforts to focus on improving Spriter generating more value for our users as quickly as possible.

I hope this makes sense...I'm by no means qualified to speak such business jargon..but I hope the points come across as intended.

Maybe at some point we'll consider a special bundle of both versions. We'll look into that.

cheers.

-Mike at BrashMonkey

We had been offering a steam license to those who purchased Spriter Pro from our site (non-Steam version) as a courtesy to those who purchased the non-Steam version before Spriter Pro became available on Steam.  This offer will likely soon expire though.

Hi Mike,

i am very interested in obtaining a steam key for my Spriter Pro. I bought Spriter Pro in the Scirra store (Construct II) before the official release date. Please contact me.

cheers,

Wolfgang

/edit:

I read the annoucement above and send an email @support.