Reference Implementation Status Update (10/18/2015)

lucid

It will be a much more complete and flexible implementation which should be much easier to reference from – or even  directly port from – to create a Spriter implementation for any particular language or authoring system.  Basically, it's a much-improved, more flexible, and more thorough implementation, that will include all playback and user-interaction features and will be actually functional and tested to work, as opposed to the current documentation which is pseudo-code, incomplete, etc.

Cheers,
Mike

Not sure how much use this will have for the current Spriter2Unity plugin, as what we do now is to churn through the SCML and turn it into a Unity Anim, once they are created they are subject to all limitations and features of standard Unity animations.

This would be a much more flexible runtime for SCML files. It's cool, but an entirely different direction than the current plugin. Hopefully someone will step up to the plate to create one.

I thought a new update post is out but not yet. PLEASE keep posting updates here even there are no much progress, so that we'll know you DID work on it.

The latest update was the day before yesterday. I edited the original post. I will reply as well next time so that it will show there's a new post when I post this weekend's update.

Great!  :-P  This is what's needed for all your users who use things like Haxe + OpenFL. and other platforms without official plugins/libs. Will it be a viable approach to port part of this reference implementation to say that platform? Or is the design made in such a way that it's hard to do. Also, will you sprinkle the reference implementation generously with comments and add some overview documentation as well? That would be nice.

Great! :-P This is what's needed for all your users who use things like Haxe + OpenFL. and other platforms without official plugins/libs. Will it be a viable approach to port part of this reference implementation to say that platform? Or is the design made in such a way that it's hard to do. Also, will you sprinkle the reference implementation generously with comments and add some overview documentation as well? That would be nice.

Will the documentation remain? I mean some things like Unity just need to interpret the .scml file directly after all.

Yes, it will be well commented code that will serve as the meat of the documentation. The idea is that you should be able to do a copy/paste/edit port to any languages you need (including proprietary scripting languages. I do also plan to have separate overview documentation to tie it all together.

For things like Unity that require documentation for some things like loading but not for the skeletal aspects, the loading/saving portions of code as well as the overview documentation should provide guidance whenever there's a feature that doesn't translate directly to a built in Unity feature, and also to ensure that any particular platform allows you to perform all of the expected actions as the reference implementation.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone.  Nothing too exciting yet, but here's a basic animation running in the test bed: https://youtu.be/v3JNlNzGgKQ

The video might not seem like much at first, but I think everyone here can agree there's a ton of effort and heavily-formatted code behind this animation. (and formatting, readability, functionality, documentation...)

Awesome work so far!

Hello everyone.  Sorry for the short notice, but I will be leaving town on some urgent family business (everyone is fine) for a week and a half starting this Sunday.  I will be working until Sunday, but it will mostly be some cleanup work under the hood, so I will likely not have another status update until August 2nd.  Thank you for your patience and understanding.

• 2 weeks later...
  • lucid unpinned this topic