Please help us create the official Spriter FAQ

Hi Everyone,

I've finally realized we don't have an official FAQ sheet for Spriter so figured I should create one.

If anyone has any suggestions for questions please post them here.  I'll start with what I can come up with...answers to be fleshed out over time:

Spriter FAQ

1) Can I use the free version of Spriter to create animations for commercial games? Absolutely, there are no limitations to the use of the free version of Spriter, it just doesn't have as many features as Spriter Pro.

2) Are there any example  Spriter files for me to play and learn with? Yes, there's this example Spriter project: http://www.brashmonkey.com/temp/GreyGuy.zip  Also, anyone who purchases Spriter Pro gets the Essentials versions of all of our Art Packs.  You can preview all of our art packs here: http://www.brashmonkey.com/artpacks.htm

3) I have more than one computer that I use to work on, can I install Spriter Pro on more than one computer?  Yes, your Spriter Pro license is for you, and not a specific number of computers or operating systems. Feel free to install and register your Spriter Pro on all of the computers you work on, just make sure no one is using your Spriter Pro at the same time you are.

4) Can I use the content from the example Spriter project (GreyGuy) or from the Essential Art packs in my games?  Yes, though we recommend editing them (or having an artist do so) so that they don't look exactly the same as these same animations used in other games by other Spriter users...of course this is more important for characters than it is for explosions. ;)  Of course you're only allowed to use the content from the Essentials Art Packs in your games if you purchased Spriter Pro.

5) Can I use Spriter with my particualr game authoring system or language of choice?  This is a tough question to answer clearly, especially because the answer changes frequently.  The "Spriter Implimentations" section of our forums here: http://brashmonkey.com/forum/index.php?/forum/17-spriter-implementations/  is a good place to search to find the current status of true Spriter support for any specific authoring system, but some Spriter implimentations might better be found by using a search engine and using search terms such as "Spriter support for XX language or authoring system".  Also, of course, if there's no direct Spriter support yet for your favorite authoring system, at least you can export your animations from Spriter as Spriter sheets, setquential images or animateds GIF's which could be used by any authoring system or language.

That's all I can come up with for now. Please help remind me what I'm missing and I'll add them in.

Thanks very much for your help,

Mike at BrashMonkey

That is indeed a tough one...but one that will become much easire shortly after Edgar finishes the full featured generic Spriter implimentation and its ported. I'll post a more generic answer to that question until that time.

Thank much for the suggestion and general aweosme level of helpfullness to the community RunnerPack!

Cheers,
Mike

Not exactly sure how it should be asked but something like,

Is there a section of the site or wiki that is dedicated to how one can use Spriter?

Does the license need to be renewed anually?

What are the minimum system requirements?

Can I sell my animations or art packs on the BrashMonkey Store?

Really depends on how or what you want to cover in this section. But these are just a few examples off the top of my head. Even though most already know the answers to them. Hope it helps:)

@ RedRock911, yeah this is not really the sort of Question for a FAQ.  Also, it would help if you gave us more information.  What build of Spriter are you using? On what OS? Does the animation you're using use bones? Please be as descriptive as possible. A video and/or sharing the scml file and describing exactly what you want to change would really help too.

Thanks,
Mike at BrashMonkey

PS, Have you watched all our quick-tip videos?

• 1 month later...

@ RedRock911, yeah this is not really the sort of Question for a FAQ.  Also, it would help if you gave us more information.  What build of Spriter are you using? On what OS? Does the animation you're using use bones? Please be as descriptive as possible. A video and/or sharing the scml file and describing exactly what you want to change would really help too.

Thanks,

Mike at BrashMonkey

PS, Have you watched all our quick-tip videos?

I apologize for the miscommunication on my part, I should have known better. 

I am using the Spriter Essential Edition b5 on windows 7. The animations are for Don't Starve which atm does not support bones. All modding for Don't Starve is done by altering pivot points. (and yes, its a nightmare, every frame for common animations are copied over, or there are disastrous results) Yes I watched the quick tip videos (which are amazing btw) But of course my largest problems are the lack of support for bones in Don't Starve (and by no means a Spriter issue) '

Nonetheless, I could really use the help of someone who is savvy with the ins and outs of Spriter. Especially with trying to work around very difficult challenges, modding Don't Starve provides (for instance, the auto-compiler for Don't Starve re-compiles any changes to Z order, which is a nuisance for many,many reasons.)

And this is not just for me. Anything, be it a tip or trick or update, I will pass to the modding community over there. 

It is crucial I find an experienced Spriter guru, that knows, mods, or plays Don't Starve. So I can offer results to the community. 

OH! and my sarcasm vs seriousness is a bit off today, where you joking about asking a question on a faqs and questions page?  Cause i'm pretty much in the center of belief that "it was a question" and "probably could of put this in another forum"  wierd....grey area for me.  mean it would be wierd not to ask a question on a faqs and questions page...right? <------crap! did it again!