distorting sprites the easy way

ruberboy

This is a tutorial I made That I think could be a good idea.

Its for making sprites in a 3/4 view which can be VERY difficult without a 3d model, so we use an easy way with the scaling tool. You can disable interpolation in the tool (in gimp) for less blurring results. If you use other program there should be an option similar.

This method is very old and was used in pixelart for making things like coins or the rings in sonic spinning (or similar method).

1-First take the sprite or part you want to make 3/4 view and have it on a layer. (draw it, paste it, whatever).

2-Make 2 Duplicates.

3-Divide the 1 duplicate by middle by deleting it with the square selection tool(natural middle in this case about the navel).

4-Do the same for the other duplicate.

f3cc9t.png

5- Now use the scaling tool on one half of the duplicate , in this case the one which is farther to us, and tweak it to make it narrower.

6- Do the same to the other part, but have in mind to leave one part smaller as to emulate perspective. Tweak everything By hand, I recommend 1px round brush. This is the final result after tweaking.

2z6a00h.png

Sorry about the crappy presentation I almost messed up last image, but you get the idea. Using a 3d modelling program and drawing over is tedious, and using the perspective tool can get messy. This way is easier... Now the most important is tweaking and leaving as you like and make last corrections at the end.

Hope you find it useful, I think you can do the same thing with vectors if you use flash (Im not sure).

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

Your method could work for a flat object turning (such as the spinning coins you mention), but a person tends to be more round than flat. Imagine a ball spinning instead of a coin - it looks quite different. Or look at yourself in a mirror. 

I think it's easier and quicker to draw from scratch for something like this.

I use my HOSTS file to block ads, but I went to the URL for one of the images (for which I had to view the page source, thanks to the ever-so-helpful "lightbox" <- sarcasm), and I was able to see the image just fine - although it redirected to a webpage, rather than just taking me to the image itself.

Even if I am the only one unable to see them, it just makes more sense to attach the image directly to the post. If the link ever breaks, no one will be able to see them, and the post - maybe the entire thread - becomes practically useless.

Your method could work for a flat object turning (such as the spinning coins you mention), but a person tends to be more round than flat. Imagine a ball spinning instead of a coin - it looks quite different. Or look at yourself in a mirror. 

I think it's easier and quicker to draw from scratch for something like this.

Thanks. Well the method is really for an approximation an then work from there. 

what is easier for you, the better. I find way easier doing it like this and then retouching. Use what is faster for you.

I use my HOSTS file to block ads, but I went to the URL for one of the images (for which I had to view the page source, thanks to the ever-so-helpful "lightbox" <- sarcasm), and I was able to see the image just fine - although it redirected to a webpage, rather than just taking me to the image itself.

Even if I am the only one unable to see them, it just makes more sense to attach the image directly to the post. If the link ever breaks, no one will be able to see them, and the post - maybe the entire thread - becomes practically useless.

You can copy the link, right click on the image, and paste the new url on a new navigation tab on your browser.

what is easier for you, the better. I find way easier doing it like this and then retouching. Use what is faster for you.

Sure, if it works for you, that's great. But because your initial image is looking good, it's a bit sad to see the second one looking like a tilted cardboard cutout of the first one. I suspect that you can do a lot better. You do mention tweaking and retouching, so maybe you eventually do end up with something looking as good as if you'd drawn it from scratch… That'd be interesting to see.