Spriter + TexturePacker workflow.

Miguel_S

I've been trying to figure out the workflow for using Spriter with TexturePacker and haven't been able to find any detailed info breaking it down.

So far I've created a set of animations and character maps using the standard spriter method (ie using individual images for each part). I then ran "Generate TexturePacker spritesheet file" and the json sprite sheet is showing up correctly in my palette project folder. 

At this point do I need to swap out all the existing object images in my folders for the ones in the json sprite sheet (yikes!) or are they already associated somehow?

What happens if I need to revise or add new art assets? I tried running "Generate TexturePacker spritesheet file" after changing a few art assets and it told me "*.tps file generation failed. Generating spritesheets from projects already using spritesheets is not yet supported".

So am I missing something or is the current TexturePacker implementation not set up for any sort of art revisions?

Thanks for any help!

Hi Miguel_S,

While we do have plans to eventually expand the TexturePacker support to do something similar to what you're after. (Convert a scml from using individual images to a new version using texture atlases), this feature does not yet exist.  The option to create texture atlases via TexturePacker was intended to allow the creation of texture atlases which Spriter run-time implementations could use instead of the individual images. (though to my knowledge, currently no implementation currently supports that)

In the mean-time, the only way to have an scml which uses only images from texture atlases is to create it that way to begin with.  I'd have to do some testing, but it might be possible to set up a character map to swap out the individual images with their counterparts from texture atlases, then use the "burn active character maps to entity " feature to actually make it a permanent change to the scml file instead of just character maps.

cheers,
Mike at BrashMonkey

Thanks for the clarification Mike.  Sounds like in its current state it's mostly suitable for very small projects where the art won't go through revisions. Good to know a more feature ritch implementation is planned in the future though. Even if it's a while off!

Thanks!

Miguel