Spriter B11 Pre-Release available for testing (update 10/12)

lucid

Update 10/12:

Hi everyone,

Here is another update of the current test build (Windows only) featuring an assortment of bug fixes and some UI tweaks and other general enhancements and a cool new feature we managed to squeeze in between bug reports.

The new feature is Papagayo lip syncing support.

From the Papagayo site:

"Papagayo is a lip-syncing program designed to help you line up phonemes (mouth shapes) with the actual recorded sound of actors speaking. Papagayo makes it easy to lip sync animated characters by making the process very simple - just type in the words being spoken (or copy/paste them from the animation's script), then drag the words on top of the sound's waveform until they line up with the proper sounds."

Here's a quick video showcasing the new feature.

Unless a major bug is reported we should be releasing this new build as official B11 for all platforms within the next several days.

Thanks everyone for your patience as we wrap up the remaining loose ends for the initial release of Spriter 1.0. We're doing our best to maintain fast development and bug squashing in the face of several non-development related necessities involved on the business side of things.

Here are the latest changes made, since the previous pre-release:

B11 additional changelog:

Additions and Enhancements

[*:11xrws8d]Add Papagayo LipSync import (pro only)
    [*:11xrws8d]Added time tooltip when hovering mouse over keyframes
    [*:11xrws8d]Second view now allows decimals for zoom levels for greater zoom granularity and less than 1x zoom
    [*:11xrws8d]Added Spacebar + Left Mouse click and drag shortcut to scroll second view
    [*:11xrws8d]Keys at the current time are now highlighted in the timeline widget

Bug Fixes

[*:11xrws8d]Fixed a bug where holding 'm' and click dragging to adjust the origin while not at 100% zoom would cause the view to scroll after releasing the button
    [*:11xrws8d]Fixed a bug where holding 'm' and click dragging to adjust the origin would move Sub-Entities in the current frame along with the origin
    [*:11xrws8d]Fixed several bugs where onion skins would disappear when they should remain on screen, and vice versa
    [*:11xrws8d]Fixed a flickering issue with onion skinning
    [*:11xrws8d]Fixed a bug that could cause duplicate file entries for images in the root of the project. This would manifest itself as default pivot points being ignored under certain circumstances
    [*:11xrws8d]Fixed a bug that would sometimes make the right click sprite image selector disappear before making a selection for child sprites at certain zoom levels

B11 Pre-Release (Windows)

original post:

Hi everyone, While the next build of Spriter is not quite ready, it's far enough along that we can benefit from additional testers helping us find any new issues resulting from the optimizations we've just implemented. Due to the nature of these changes, please only use this build for testing until our next update. This test build will be PC only until we ensure there aren't any game-breaking bugs we missed. Here's the changelog so far:

New Features (Spriter Pro and Spriter Essentials)

[*:11xrws8d]Added full constraint relaxation IK. If you have no bones selected or one bone, and you hold shift while changing it's angle, you get the classic Spriter 2 bone IK (cosine triangulation IK). If you have 2 or more bones selected in a chain, holding shift will perform constraint relaxation on all of them allowing you to move more bones together at once.
    [*:11xrws8d]Added shortcut to select all of a bone's ancestors (it's parent, and it's parent's parent, etc, all the way to the root bone). Pressing Shift Z with one or more bones selected will select the ancestors. Spriter already supported pressing Z to select all of a bones descendants recursively.

cosineIK.gif

Cosine Triangulation (2 bone) IK Cosine Triangulation (2 bone) IK

constraintIK.gif

Constraint Relaxation IK Constraint Relaxation IK

New Features (Spriter Pro Only)

[*:11xrws8d]Added visual display of waveforms for sounds in the timeline making it much more intuitive to synchronize animations to sound.

soundtimeline.gif
Waveform Display in Timeline Waveform Display in Timeline
Changes and Enhancements
    [*:11xrws8d]Several optimizations throughout the software
    [*:11xrws8d]Timelines in the timeline view now highlight when the corresponding objects are hovered or selected
    [*:11xrws8d]Sound scrubbing (pro only) is now less granular for less pops
    [*:11xrws8d]Sound playback (pro only) now immediately stops when an animation is stopped, when the mouse button is released while dragging the current time, and if the sound playback mode is switched to mute mid-playback
    [*:11xrws8d]Removed TempJson templates for TexturePacker as the latest release has Spriter templates.
    [*:11xrws8d]Autosaving now ensures Spriter remains responsive during saves.
    [*:11xrws8d]The autosave process now restarts if a change is made while saving.
    [*:11xrws8d]The status bar will now display autosave progress.
    [*:11xrws8d]Changed the timeline handle/current time indicator color to red for easier visibility

Bug Fixes

[*:11xrws8d]Fixed a bug where the rectangles for timelines displayed incorrectly after a zoom change in the timeline window
    [*:11xrws8d]Fixed a bug where attempting to add more than one sound would result in the first sound being duplicated
    [*:11xrws8d]Fixed a bug that allowed a key to be created at the same time as another Sound key
    [*:11xrws8d]Fixed a bug where making a change in the canvas when the current time had a sound trigger would cause the sound to play back upon completing the change
    [*:11xrws8d]Fixed a bug where pressing play wouldn't trigger sounds immediately if they were at the current time where playback began
    [*:11xrws8d]Fixed a bug where exporting to PNG/GIF wouldn't take sub-entities into account when trimming the export rectangle
    [*:11xrws8d]Fixed a bug that would cause a crash on exit under certain circumstances when working with experimental feature Skins
    [*:11xrws8d]Fixed a bug that would crash or incorrect display of skin controls when changing selection while using experimental feature Skins
    [*:11xrws8d]Fixed a bug that saved additional references to tags after loading a project that already contained Tags. This version will also remove the extra references if you load a file saved with this bug the next time you save.
    [*:11xrws8d]Fixed a bug that caused drag and dropping to function incorrectly when moving a selection of multiple objects with different root bones
    [*:11xrws8d]Fixed a bug that caused cloned objects to shift to the origin when cloned by holding control and dragging the selected objects
    [*:11xrws8d]Fixed a bug where Character Maps weren't using the correct pivot points for mapped sprites

Download the Spriter B11 pre-release (for testing only)

Cheers,

-Edgar

:D Great now skins dont crash, It would be nice if we could select all of them or some of the skins using shift and move them around together like regular sprites, but thats just for convenience, thanks for the fix i really appreciate this a lot ! :mrgreen:

I did had some small problems like when i tried to disable opengl and when spriter restarted then it closed itself on start without letting me do anything, and i couldnt really turn opengl back on :) so i had to remove everything using regedit and install spriter again and activate, it just wouldnt let me do anythiung - crashed when started, i think in situations like this something like spriter.cfg would be nice so we could edit this cfg file to turn on/off some stuff when something goes wrong because i couldnt really do anything, spriter wouldnt let me change opengl back on.Im on WinXP with graphics card geforce 7300gs.

There was another thing with previous project wireframe being visible when i opened new project/character, its only happening with skins, to do this you simply select skin so its wireframe is highlighted and then you open new character from menu, voilla - you can still see wireframe you highlighted but its kinda untouchable in front of newly opened character, something like opengl leftover drawn on top of everything.

These are just minor quirks tho.

Constraint Relaxation IK seems to be working well and it's really good.

Autosaving now ensures Spriter remains responsive during saves.

I'm guessing this was the reason spriter was going unresponsive for long periods every so often.

Onion skins still disappear when making any change in the current frame, this also happened to me on B10, making onion skins nearly useless.

While trying out the Constraint method I found 3 bugs

1) The selected bones started to duplicate every move, I ended up having like 10 duplicates of the selected bones

2) Pulling a bone connected to a non selected bone rotates that non selected bone though it is not part of the bones I want to Constraint move. if the bone is the keystone bone, the entire model will rotate around to follow the pulled bone.

3) there is a jump to move the bone so it's tip is at the mouse position when the moving starts which prevents fine adjustments

Constraint Relaxation IK seems to be working well and it's really good.
Autosaving now ensures Spriter remains responsive during saves.

I'm guessing this was the reason spriter was going unresponsive for long periods every so often.

Onion skins still disappear when making any change in the current frame, this also happened to me on B10, making onion skins nearly useless.

This is fixed for the upcoming version.

While trying out the Constraint method I found 3 bugs

1) The selected bones started to duplicate every move, I ended up having like 10 duplicates of the selected bones

2) Pulling a bone connected to a non selected bone rotates that non selected bone though it is not part of the bones I want to Constraint move. if the bone is the keystone bone, the entire model will rotate around to follow the pulled bone.

3) there is a jump to move the bone so it's tip is at the mouse position when the moving starts which prevents fine adjustments

1) That's supposed to happen if you hold the Ctrl Key. This happens every time you use the constraint method?

2) I think it might be possible to make it so it performs constraint relaxation IK with broken chains (e.g: unselected bone, selected child, unselected child, selected child), but for now it treats a break in the chain as the end of the selection. So, basically, it does the 2 bone triangulation IK as if you only had one bone selected if the parent of the dragged bone isn't selected.

3) I'll see what I can do about this.

1) That's supposed to happen if you hold the Ctrl Key. This happens every time you use the constraint method?

2) I think it might be possible to make it so it performs constraint relaxation IK with broken chains (e.g: unselected bone, selected child, unselected child, selected child), but for now it treats a break in the chain as the end of the selection. So, basically, it does the 2 bone triangulation IK as if you only had one bone selected if the parent of the dragged bone isn't selected.

3) I'll see what I can do about this.

1) If you use ctrl to select the bones then use shift to move rotate the chain, that is when it happens but not always, a new set of bones is created, but create all crooked like trying to do the constraint move while the original selection remains untouched. It is possible either the software thinks ctrl is still down or it is possible I have ctrl down. I'll try to be more careful, but you should probably check the shift state first else check ctrl... or not perform the clone if both the shift and ctrl are down. It happens very often so my guess is you should be cautious of the possibility of them both being down at the same time for a moment.

2) if the bone's parent is not part of the selected group you should lock the translation and only allow rotation pinned on it's current position so it won't pull the parent bone

3) great

1) If you use ctrl to select the bones then use shift to move rotate the chain, that is when it happens but not always, a new set of bones is created, but create all crooked like trying to do the constraint move while the original selection remains untouched. It is possible either the software thinks ctrl is still down or it is possible I have ctrl down. I'll try to be more careful, but you should probably check the shift state first else check ctrl... or not perform the clone if both the shift and ctrl are down. It happens very often so my guess is you should be cautious of the possibility of them both being down at the same time for a moment.

2) if the bone's parent is not part of the selected group you should lock the translation and only allow rotation pinned on it's current position so it won't pull the parent bone

1) That's by design. I tried to make every action cloneable, so if you made an entire multijointed tentacle or arm, you can clone it by dragging out a new tentacle using ik to a new position. If I have a better idea of the sequence of actions causing you to do it accidentally I can try to safeguard.

2) The reason for keeping the 2 bone IK in there is that it works differently and slightly more predictably than the more flexible constraint relaxation IK. By making it only occur when 2 or less bones are selected, it makes it something you can quickly do to adjust legs, and arms and reposition an entire character piece by piece using IK, without having to take time to keep selecting specific 2 bone chains. Are you trying to perform another action that uses the shift key, and mistakenly doing 2 bone IK?

This version still crash on start for me :(

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: Spriter.exe

Application Version: 0.0.0.0

Application Timestamp: 54234b31

Fault Module Name: QtGui4.dll

Fault Module Version: 4.8.5.0

Fault Module Timestamp: 51cbf4e8

Exception Code: c00000fd

Exception Offset: 005381e7

OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1

Locale ID: 5129

Additional Information 1: 789f

Additional Information 2: 789fd569b47beac58d67c0940879eae7

Additional Information 3: 995f

Additional Information 4: 995f9fd7749de3e124381eb1e0d2cf22

Hi everyone,

Here is another update of the current test build (Windows only) featuring an assortment of bug fixes and some UI tweaks and other general enhancements and a cool new feature we managed to squeeze in between bug reports.

The new feature is Papagayo lip syncing support.

From the Papagayo site:

"Papagayo is a lip-syncing program designed to help you line up phonemes (mouth shapes) with the actual recorded sound of actors speaking. Papagayo makes it easy to lip sync animated characters by making the process very simple - just type in the words being spoken (or copy/paste them from the animation's script), then drag the words on top of the sound's waveform until they line up with the proper sounds."

Here's a quick video showcasing the new feature.

Unless a major bug is reported we should be releasing this new build as official B11 for all platforms within the next several days.

Thanks everyone for your patience as we wrap up the remaining loose ends for the initial release of Spriter 1.0. We're doing our best to maintain fast development and bug squashing in the face of several non-development related necessities involved on the business side of things.

Here are the latest changes made, since the previous pre-release:

B11 additional changelog:

Additions and Enhancements

[*:c7lklx7b]Add Papagayo LipSync import (pro only)
    [*:c7lklx7b]Added time tooltip when hovering mouse over keyframes
    [*:c7lklx7b]Second view now allows decimals for zoom levels for greater zoom granularity and less than 1x zoom
    [*:c7lklx7b]Added Spacebar + Left Mouse click and drag shortcut to scroll second view
    [*:c7lklx7b]Keys at the current time are now highlighted in the timeline widget

Bug Fixes

[*:c7lklx7b]Fixed a bug where holding 'm' and click dragging to adjust the origin while not at 100% zoom would cause the view to scroll after releasing the button
    [*:c7lklx7b]Fixed a bug where holding 'm' and click dragging to adjust the origin would move Sub-Entities in the current frame along with the origin
    [*:c7lklx7b]Fixed several bugs where onion skins would disappear when they should remain on screen, and vice versa
    [*:c7lklx7b]Fixed a flickering issue with onion skinning
    [*:c7lklx7b]Fixed a bug that could cause duplicate file entries for images in the root of the project. This would manifest itself as default pivot points being ignored under certain circumstances
    [*:c7lklx7b]Fixed a bug that would sometimes make the right click sprite image selector disappear before making a selection for child sprites at certain zoom levels

B11 Pre-Release (Windows)

I've been playing around with this build and found a couple very minor things.

I installed it on top of a b10 build that had been freshly installed.

I saw in the release notes that the texture packing generation template TempJson* was removed, but I still see them in my template list when I open the generate sprite sheet dialog. (no biggy, maybe because I didn't do a clean install?)

I installed my texture packer application in a different (non-default) directory and am prompted almost every time for it's location when I need generate a new spritesheet. I think it asks the first time you open spriter, but it does not remember the location once closed.

When saving a spritesheet, I clicked the browse button to navigate to the directory from where I would save the file. If I cancel, it clears out whatever value was in that output file name line edit. If I browse to a directory that has a folder with the same name I chose to name the file and then I click the save button, it opens that directory instead of saving. Example, the directory I am navigated to has a Boss folder and I type 'boss' into the filename field (intending to make a boss.tps file). I click the Save button. Instead of saving the dialog navigates into the Boss folder.

Hi,

I cannot get Spriter to run beyond the B8_2 version.

Windows shows a system error dialogue stating that VCOMP100.DLL is missing when I try to run version 9, 10 or 11.

There is a fairly fresh install of Windows Pro 8.1 64 bit on my main work pc.

I tried it on my Dell Venue 11 Pro 32 bit Windows Pro 8.1 with no problem but I prefer not to do my work on that.

Would this also happen in the Pro version of Spriter as I would like to buy it but of course don't want to spend money on something that doesn't work on my system.

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

I've come across a more significant bug when working with two texture atlases.

When placing textures from two different texture atlases everything appears to work correctly, but upon opening the saved scml, the images from the second texture atlas show the red 'missing image' box.

My setup:

Conent/Actors/Unit/Bodies/

- bodies.json (atlas 1)

- bodies.png

Content/Actors/Unit

- scientist.json (atlas 2)

- scientist.png

- scientist.scml

* Open New spriter project, named it scientist.scml.

* Add one texture to the canvas from atlas 1

* Add one texture to the canvas from atlas 2

* Everything looks great, save scml and close Spriter

* Open scientist.scml, texture from atlas 2 shows red box.

Giving this a go today, and haven't really come up with many bugs.

The two I've found are:

When I change the number of frames from low to high, I can't zoom out. I need to change animation and then back again for it to reset so I can see it all.

AND

I can't get rid of the onion skin effect. Whilst trying to zoom out or in, I right clicked and dragged. Now, I have a red figure behind mine all the time. I tried to ignore it, and got to the point where I wanted to export my animation to PNG, and for some reason the onion skin is exported along with it.

Can't imagine that being intentional by design. If it was, what's the reasoning?

Hey,

Past build didn't work because of the dependencies problem, but ironically, it works great on Ubuntu 14.04 with Wine 1.7.28. (All vcrun* installed throught winetricks).

I couldn't find a bug. Please remember to package it with the necessary libs this time :cry: .

Thanks for your hard work ;)