2D Isometric View

MrRagePants

Just wondering if anybody would like to share/teach some of their technique (or experience) working with Isometric view.

I have been a big fan of Ragnarok Online, Final Fantasy Tactics, Disgaea, and I would like to create an artistic way of making games like those. Say, like, 3D environment but hand drawn (2D) characters.

But, my concern is, will 2D Isometric be too time consuming, considering I have to draw each body part four times (N,S,E,W) or even eight times (N,S,E,W, NE, NW, SE, SW). If such is the case, I am thinking of just switching to 3D.

Thank you in advance.

Hi MrRagePants,

Even pro game studios with big budgets to burn would never consider animating an Isometric game with purely hand drawn animation, The time and therefore budget required is unreasonable to say the least. I can say when we finally get around to making any kind of isometric art pack, we'll be first creating and animating the characters in 3d, then re-rendering, breaking them into parts, and then reassembling the frames in Spriter...reusing body parts, heads, shields (images) etc etc as much as possible.

There's no getting around it...its a massive undertaking... 3d makes it much more attainable.

cheers,

Mike at BrashMonkey

Mike,

Thank you for your expert opinion in this matter. Your words, though few, have saved me tons of time, which itself, once spent, can never be brought back. More power to you and your crew.

Hopefully, when I do get the ball rolling, I might come up with something to contribute for the community. As of now, I am still a student of game development.

• 1 year later...