Spriter Crash

The Dark One

I am a spriter user and have encountered a strange crash whenever I open any of my current spriter files.

The problem started today with the release of spriter B9, though I don't think the two are related. All spriter files started crashing the program as soon as opened. Deleting and reinstalling spriter did not solve the problem. I used both the new beta (9) and the stable version 8_1 and both crashed every time on every file.

Luckily, I have an online back up and the back up works. The strange part is that some of the fails have not been edited and still crash even though their back up work...

Attached is one of the crashing files, in case you wanted to take a look.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1ZccnH ... UxcGQ4aFU/

[The works featured in the attached file belong to Zaid Mohammed Jawad and are copyrighted to him and myself]

Best regards

Edit: After attempting to move the back up to the project files, they stopped working! They only work where I originally unrared them.

-I downloaded the rar file and unrared it on the desktop

-they work

- I move them/ copythem anywhere else and they stop working

- I move them back or copy them in same place and both original and copy work

Hi The Dark One,

I've spoke to Zaid about the issue and it sounds to me like the latest beta is saving some new data, or some old data in a slightly different way that is causing compatibility issues with both the previous builds of Spriter and the current build of Spriter2Unity.

The best thing to do is email us both the new Spriter projects that cause the problems AND their back up versions which do not cause the problems...and label them something like "broken" and "working" so it's obvious to us which is which.

Thanks for reporting this and sorry for the inconvenience. Whenever working on a project, ALWAYS keep back-ups, and as a general rule, its often dangerous to update any particular software in your workflow chain in the middle of a project because it often introduces issues like this.

As I said, I already spoke to Zaid and I think he's in the process of emailing the Spriter projects to us.

We'll report back once the issue is understood and then resolved.

cheers,

Mike at BrashMonkey

This sounds strange. Are you referring to just the .scml file, or the entire Spriter project folder with the images or image sub-folders.

Are you saying the entire Spriter project folder wont load properly if you move that entire folder somewhere different from where it was when the scml file was last saved?

Could you maybe make a screen recording of this issue so I can understand it better...with the project first loading properly, then being moved, then not loading properly?

thanks much,

Mike at BrashMonkey

After further experimentation, I have come to an understanding regarding the possible cause of the bug.

Originally, all the characters were a single .scml file. Since that doesn't work for me, I asked the artist to separate them into individual files.

The original file (which now contains a single character "Starlet") works fine wherever it is placed.

The other files do not work unless they are in the same directory as the original file "Starlet Sprite".

Further more, deleting the folder containing the pictures of Starlet stops the other files from working even if the Starlet Sprite.scml file is present.

There appears to be a remaining link between the files and their original...

Vid showing a file working only in the presence of another file and stopping if the other file's picture folder is deleted:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1Zccn ... sp=sharing

I hope this helps you identify the bug and fix it (or at least warn people against it).

Edit- here is the Starlet folder (.scml and picture sub-folder) in case you need it, Zaid can give you the original unified file (if he still has it):

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1Zccn ... sp=sharing

all works featured in this thread are the work of Zaid Mohammed Jawad and are copy righted to both me and him.