Running cycle

mitchellcaignard

• 3 weeks later...

Hi mitchellcaignard,

I suggest maybe you should lean the entire character forward more, and watch out for the scarf... there's no reason it would suddenly shoot forward like that... maybe even consider changing it so when the character is running, the scarf would off the shoulder behind his back.. that way it could trail behind and really emphasize his velocity.

cheers,

Mike at BrashMonkey

I am by no means a professional animator, but a couple of things I noticed are the scarf thing Mike mentioned, the head/eyes, and the feet.

The inner ears and eyes provide most of the balance and orientation information to the brain. When a person runs, the head – within which these four organs are mounted – should be the most stable part of the body, remaining level and moving only up and down, not rotating, smoothly, as if mounted on a spring. The eyes themselves are usually more-or-less fixed on a point some distance ahead, so they really shouldn't be bobbing around like that. At best they might do a slight (i.e. a few pixels) up/down slide, in sync with the footfalls, to compensate for the body's (and head's) up/down movement.

The foot issue has been mentioned elsewhere on the forum a few times: feet have to bend at the "ball" to give the front of the foot more time to push against the ground as the body moves forward, changing the angle of the leg. You can either draw a few bent feet to choose from, or cut the foot up and add more bones.