My Spriter works

ruberboy

Hi all.

Just learning the program (about one week using it, but learned using it in a day or two ;) ).

I just do animations for practice, not for a game or something just because I've been drawing and doing 3d a lot... animation is a natural expansion. Let's see what I get from the program.

Two robot animations (Idle and slide), (cheap I know, this was on the first day of using the program).

104hh55.gif

2v1role.gif

And this one is an RPG child I did (very wip), actually never did any rpg related stuff so its new for me. If enough time given to painting I think you can get quite good results. WIP. (almost 1 mb gif LOL). Its incredible that it actually looks more 3d hand painted than 2d paint because of the smooth anim :D (thanks to spriter!).

2hmdi7c.gif

Soon, more! As I have more crappy attempts not good enough :D

PD: is there any way of exporting pngs without alpha?. Gimp forces you to destroy alpha to create a gif that's visible, well next time I'll use the forum background color :D

Welcome ruberboy,

You're off to a very solid start.. I especially like the PRG boy.. his pants remind me a lot of Dragonball Z. :)

Don't miss our tutorial videos here:

And there's a manual (still incomplete) built into Spriter which you can access by choosing help/help in spriter's menu.

I've also just started a "quick-tips" series of videos.. I'll link to that here in the forums once I've made the second video and create the playlist on Youtube.

cheers,
Mike at BrashMonkey

Welcome ruberboy,

You're off to a very solid start.. I especially like the PRG boy.. his pants remind me a lot of Dragonball Z. :)

Don't miss our tutorial videos here:

And there's a manual (still incomplete) built into Spriter which you can access by choosing help/help in spriter's menu.

I've also just started a "quick-tips" series of videos.. I'll link to that here in the forums once I've made the second video and create the playlist on Youtube.

cheers,

Mike at BrashMonkey

Thanks. Yep, j-rpgs share some clothes :D.

I've been doing some work for games but not too much... mobile platform and card game stuff. all done in pixel and digital paint but it was too much work (I mean, lots of time consuming stuff, sometimes for free or very low profit shares). Now its different :D

I have viewed ALL the videos, thanks :D

This is something I did this morning. A worm. If you see the pink legs they are looking now backwards. Before I had them looking forward by mistake. Now... if I were not using spriter and had to do by hand It would had taken a proccess of select, repaint, select, repaint... for some hours. As I am using only one piece, I just flipped the piece on gimp and... presto!!! all done in 1 minute. The same can be said for all the pieces of the body which do share the same bone with legs.

Fantastic program. Cheers.

294kuxh.gif

PD: fixed too much stretch.

Worked a bit on the walking RPG boy. Still no torso turning but its a start. (as always wip).

.edit. removed image. bad anim.

Sometimes you get strange "trembles" on bones, and after some hours of cumbersome fixing without result  the best fix and so you dont get messy at this is select problematic bones or sprites and delete and insert again that frame that usually fixes the problem.

Cheers.

BTW I am promoting the program at Deviant art :D (because I put there my works too).

• 2 months later...

Hi all, Im back to spriter. I have not tested the pixelart capabilities yet (real hard pixel, not brush). Honestly I can do better in pixelart than brush (years of experience) so I will put my pixel tries here too.

This is a beat'm'up character, the last work I made in spriter. Somethings I have to redo again for example walkanims in their vast majority do not move the torso too much so its more a side view then I have to redo all the torsos in 3/4 view I did :D

16jq0w3.gif

And this is probably the first anim I did to test the program: forgot to put it here.

t7cxls.gif

Anyway I have to make everything from a fresh start and add new things... cheers, back to work!

More stupidity of mine...

A clone of goldenaxe/rastan style character. Lets see how it animates (I will try to animate a position of a near fixed torso, like GA). Brushing up my painting skills a bit... Wip. Spriter is starting to get fun, now that I more or less know it a bit more.

edit. removed image... very old and gone to the trash as I didnt like the idea.

• 3 months later...

I don't have an answer for your "tearing" problem (since I don't even know what that means), but I do have a comment on your beat-em-up character. Because his feet are moving, it sort of makes him look like he's floating, or maybe standing on a trampoline. You should lock the feet in one place, and move the rest of the body around them, to give him a sense of weight and stability. You did a great job on the art and movement, otherwise, though.

I don't have an answer for your "tearing" problem (since I don't even know what that means), but I do have a comment on your beat-em-up character. Because his feet are moving, it sort of makes him look like he's floating, or maybe standing on a trampoline. You should lock the feet in one place, and move the rest of the body around them, to give him a sense of weight and stability. You did a great job on the art and movement, otherwise, though.

------

Thanks. Tearing I mean pixels "moving a bit like trembling" that only happen if I export in pixelart mode or not smooth sampling with hard pixel art. Still working on it. I know what you mean... Im using an IK on the feet, and yes I should work out first the movement of the upper body first and then may add a bit of movement to the feet.

Its just for practice as I have observed brawlers have the best animation done in old retro games(I love them as i grew up with them SNES, arcades, etc) Im just learning to do some brawl or arcade animation and maybe use them in a future game with a friend.

I will post more... Thanks for passing by.

More in the "shinobi" platformer style. A bit harsh, still optimizing frames... I think if it looks a bit less soft is because Im trying to adapt it to 8 frames, 16 bits style. Or maybe animation wise its wrong. 

This is the 8 frame version for now:

141s1ly.jpg

12 frame version:

aywvts.gif

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

its not only about amount of frames, use delay of 5 or more, if you use delay 4 then it will look too smooth.Unless youwant that smooth effect.

Thanks, but I do not understand what delay you are talking about, maybe you refer to the delay of the animated gif?

--

I have decided Im not going to use pixelart in my spritings from now on because hard pixel is cool but the amount of changes you need is very time consuming and no app (spriter or others) will ever make it perfect, not even rotsprite can!! So hard pixel work by hand and HD work in spriter :D

I feel a bit embarrassed to post this, but it is a practice and I think its ok to post things, so I can improve slowly. I had a problem with hard pixel animations as I was more time in gimp than in spriter changing a lot of things so I will concentrate on HD work by now on.

This is a sprite based on the famous Final fight 2 for Snes (maki character), but in my style. I plan on animate it and I have been observing my mistakes and all them are based on the same thing (heights) all characters in all fighting games have a very slight rotation, they have an standing pose that is of different height than walking or punching for example. This is all work in a more pronounced and colorful style so now that I have decided to work in plenty of resolution and colors. 

Hope you like it, I have started animating it :D Standing for now (please note that this is just practice of my style based on old brawlers. Reduced to 2x size (no interpolation) I think working on the exact size needed is the best as nearest neighbour or cubic interpolation blurs the reduced sprites a lot. This is what I got at the moment.

-edit. Images updated in next post.

pd. Just learned how to use image switch correctly. You MUST have the pivot point almost exact place as to the frame before and image dimensions must match. IF swap images are parented to bones, the bones must much exact position too

Edit. My bad. I think that if you dont put the limbs exactly at the start of each bone, then you get interpolation errors in placement (perfectly logical) So I think I have it. Have to check some more... This is the work of today.

9bagex.gif

updated standing anim (still working on the clothes)

ih6xj8.gif

hi. Still working on the movements of the character, just for practice no proyects until I learn to animate better. I have more than 7 years experience in 3d animation but 2d has been always very difficult, thats why I choose to do 2d because for me its a challenge.

In 3d If you have a problem in deformations you just use extra bones or deform that especific part via vertexes(morph target, shapekeys, etc).

In 2d, (spriter) You have to draw every pose with its parts. I think the faster way for me is, instead of doing the tipical anticipation-action in paper and then make each part separately,  you have to make the complete character in all the poses then dissect it. This way is faster because you see the complete steps and only cut what is necessary.

Here is an image, as you can see there is an almost complete pose for the long kick, all the little parts were cut once the poses were done. If I try to do it by slices without the previous poses drawn I get loosed fast.

Cheers. 

PD: all this is just for practice, so I share what I learn.

5y7038.png

And this is the old front kick, That I am improving now:

2uztkid.gif

• 3 months later...

The fighting game will have to wait a bit until I get a bit more of experience animating in 2d (yes abit embarrasing for me as I can animate everything in 3d lol, many years of experience). 2d is a new beast, but very rewarding.

Started A game in Stencyl (its not free, but cheap and for me is quite useful and direct). Its just another type of language for games based on blocks of code + scene actors. All visual, similar to gamemaker or construct... I hope there is no problem talking about it here. I have the first level and scene, camera system almost ready.

Im no programmer, but not stupid either and I have developed some physics based games on the past and some retro little games. In a time I was mathematically inclined and was interested in programming, but art for me always was the most rewarding thing so I stopped programming long time ago and I am doing it again, as a one man company.

This is the main animation (very wip). The game is about a ninja in the style of ninja gaiden, but is a ciborg, not human. Its a bit pixely for now (temporary watermark) as I have to make a watermark, a logo for my company etc... so excuse the preliminary state. Cheers. Will update more with the first level, etc.

ITs a bit stupid to try to protect animations (people rip even the most impressive 2d work so far, Aka Dragons crown anims), so I will just post tiny animations and keep the HD version for now.

I have improved a bit the walking animation and programming wise I am developing very well. Visual block programming is very fast!! I have yet to design level one and start with the enemy AI (I hope its not extremelly complex). Cheers.

2mzl26q.gif

As I'm new to this forum, I don't really know how critics are received. Please, take mine as a try to be constructive. Btw, It's a bit hard to do a good critic with such a small sprite size, but I'll try to do it anyway :wink:.

It seems that you tend to animate just the legs of your sprites. Please, give some love to the upper part of the body too! For example, you could make the ninja arms do a small, subtle bounce as he walks.

I think that you can really give a push to your work with little effort, you already do the hardest part.

As I'm new to this forum, I don't really know how critics are received. Please, take mine as a try to be constructive. Btw, It's a bit hard to do a good critic with such a small sprite size, but I'll try to do it anyway :wink:.

It seems that you tend to animate just the legs of your sprites. Please, give some love to the upper part of the body too! For example, you could make the ninja arms do a small, subtle bounce as he walks.

I think that you can really give a push to your work with little effort, you already do the hardest part.

True. Its for a videogame... the thing is Im not yet sure of the mechanics of the game... what you see is just a very preliminar version... you've got reason as the arms should move, even the shoulders and head should bounce a bit to the sides naturally.  I dont know what weapon he's going to carry of if he is going to run or walk or duck.

I should post the final then :D Cheers and thanks for your critic... I always receive them well no problem.