Spriter for Unity 4.3 (Updated, Integrated)

bonus2113

I know how to work it but... I'm not sure if I can explain it very well.

Basically you can swap the texture of individual sprite parts by (manually or through coding) swapping said texture in the prefab's CharacterMap component.

Alternatively you can create entire custom CharacterMap components, and swap those (manually or through coding).

• 1 month later...
Having trouble I am using Unity 4.5.0f6 with Spriter b10

The problem is when i try and import a scml it imports it and creates the animation files and the animator and the prefab.

What it does not do is fill these with any data it seams. The prfab comes with all bones and images attached but all the animations don't seam to of done anything. The individual animations are listed and are visible in the animator.

If I hit play no animation plays even if the default is something like the walk cycle.

If anyone has had a similar problem let me know.

The only animation that works with Spriter for Unity is Grey Guy.

Anything else I import simply doesn't work at run time.

Sprites import fine, the animations play in the inspector, but as soon as the app starts, everything except grey guy is stuck at the first frame of the last animation that was in the file.

Hi neilb,

I don't think Spriter2Unity supports all Spriter features yet, so my guess is the other animations you're trying to import put use to a feature of some sort that Spriter2Unity does not yet recognize.

Any animation made using the same exact features (normal linear tweaking, and all sprites assigned to bones) as GreyGuy should theoretically work fine.

Are you using more advanced features like sub-entities or speed curves in your animations that wont work properly in Unity?

cheers,

Mike at BrashMonkey

Hi neilb,

I don't think Spriter2Unity supports all Spriter features yet, so my guess is the other animations you're trying to import put use to a feature of some sort that Spriter2Unity does not yet recognize.

Any animation made using the same exact features (normal linear tweaking, and all sprites assigned to bones) as GreyGuy should theoretically work fine.

Are you using more advanced features like sub-entities or speed curves in your animations that wont work properly in Unity?

cheers,

Mike at BrashMonkey

I solved the problem. The answer was in the disallowed post. Can I get the text from that post somewhere? I can't remember the exact wording I used.

Hey so what do I do when I want to update the scml file? I tried to just drag and drop it in. My first one was called Player1. I updated it in Spriter, then dragged it to where the old one was, while Unity was running. It renamed it to Player2, and didn't create a prefab for it. Do I need to reimport the unity package each time or something?

And will there be a way to do the advanced animation stuff that it can't currently do in the near future, like when the final version of Spriter gets released? Like doing instant movements instead of linear tweens, or when I do an animation that requires me to debone and resize stuff and all that. Or should I just stick to doing it all in Spriter and then exporting them as sprite sheets?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Dear Sir

Me and my friends are working on a game using Spriter for Animation and Unity as a game engine, we have been facing various issues with the plugin and we found out how to go around them but now, this is a puzzleing one, Mike asked me to contact you regarding the issue.

I will send you the file link on Private msg on your forum profile.

the issue is the following : 

some Animations transitions are glitching, floating parts, parts waiting to meet each other in the transitions, when you run this file you will see the dark creature transitioning from Idle > fall > hitting the ground > standing up > idle.

you will notice the eye in the transition from Idle to fall and from standing up to idle where the eye float in mid air waiting to meet it self from the other animation.

the Spriter file is clean, all the images that are used are the same and didnt change on it, and even i removed the eyes completely and reassigened new ones again to all animations just to make sure, but still facing the same issue. 

please we would love a fix for this because we really want to promote Spriter to Unity Plugin in our game.

Thank you very much 

Merry Christmas and happy new year

Team Skeletal Clock

( Zaid , Ali and Jim )

Dear Sir

Me and my friends are working on a game using Spriter for Animation and Unity as a game engine, we have been facing various issues with the plugin and we found out how to go around them but now, this is a puzzleing one, Mike asked me to contact you regarding the issue.

I will send you the file link on Private msg on your forum profile.

the issue is the following : 

some Animations transitions are glitching, floating parts, parts waiting to meet each other in the transitions, when you run this file you will see the dark creature transitioning from Idle > fall > hitting the ground > standing up > idle.

you will notice the eye in the transition from Idle to fall and from standing up to idle where the eye float in mid air waiting to meet it self from the other animation.

the Spriter file is clean, all the images that are used are the same and didnt change on it, and even i removed the eyes completely and reassigened new ones again to all animations just to make sure, but still facing the same issue. 

please we would love a fix for this because we really want to promote Spriter to Unity Plugin in our game.

Thank you very much 

Merry Christmas and happy new year

Team Skeletal Clock
( Zaid , Ali and Jim )

Problem solved, it seems that the issue was accuired when two files were combined together, one that the character had the eyes attached to the bone and one didnt, thats what created that weird glitch.

anyone here knows if we can edit the animation files and the transitions inside Unity? to have total control over the animations?

• 1 month later...

As i saw this tool is existing was great for me, sadly i have too much trouble with it. For me its not possible to work with.

- Sprites "jumps" around while animation is running

- the z order mismatch

- Some sprites disapperar while animation is running

- the scale of the sprites mismatch after import

I realy hope this issues will be fixed some day, just because it is sitll a great tool.

If you can get Papagayo working for Spriter2Unity I'll suck yo dick.

Or if you know a good work around. Like if I can at least be able to import the lip sync'd mouth onto my character's head for certain animations inside Spriter, and then be able to import that scml to Unity and just add the sound file back on inside Unity. Thanks.

Hi! I just started using Spriter for Unity.

Is there a documentation for the suggested workflow for Spriter for Unity? Like, is it suggested that the animator work within the Unity project? Also, I tried reimporting the scml for one of my characters and it resets the looping of my animations. How should we handle things like that? How do we manage changes in scml?

Thanks!

I'm having an issue placing Spriter objects behind other, non-Spriter sprites in Unity.

I opened the following issue on the GitHub repo:

Import a Spriter animation into Unity (4.6) and place it behind another Sprite not made in Spriter.

Some elements in the Spriter animations are overlapping the other object that it is supposed to be behind, regardless of that object's transform.position.z

Other Spriter animations will overlap the other sprite completely.

And I already followed the steps posted by shadowmint on Sept 20 but to no avail:

FYI the importer doesn't currently work on the unity 4.6 beta.

You can't assign normal textures to objects, so the steps to get it to work are:

1) Import the folder with all the image assets (Spriter folder)

2) Select each textures and mark the texture type as "Sprite (2D and UI)"

3) Import the .csml file

If you fail to set the texture types first the imported prefab will have null textures assigned to the bones (and won't be visible, obviously).

Any ideas?

I used this a while ago and it worked well. Now that I started working on a new project it's sadly outdated, as images are misplaced and not in the right order sometimes. :(

Edit: messed around with it and it seems like moving the sprites themselves is a bad idea. You need to make a bone for each sprite. Gonna try to do some more complex animation.

Hi Grynsoft,

I though the bug in Spriter2Unity that did not properly handle Sprites not assigned to bones had been fixed. Could you please send an example scml with the issue to its developer so they can troubleshoot more easily?

Thanks

<mike at BrashMonkey

Oh, so this is still being worked on? I could. I think it's to do with pivot points that I didn't sync up between different frames of a torso for example. In spriter it looked good, but in unity the torso would move farther in one direction cause the pivot points were a bit off. I noticed it only happened with some of my body parts.

Also I keep loosing connection with my prefab in unity, seemingly randomly. I go and edit in spriter, then unity imports the changes and sometimes it loses the connection with the prefab (it shows up as red in the hierarchy). The prefab's animator component also keep to lose its connection to the animations when this happens, so in motion it'd say "(None)". I'm trying to figure out when this happens exactly.

Edit: So losing connection with the prefab is because autosave is on by default and unity gets confused on which file to convert (Because they both have the same entity names I presume). I turned autosave off and it hasn't happened since.

I started using this plugin again and I'm having problems with rotation angles being inconsistent on re-import. I believe this bug was mentioned on the first page, where a 30 degree rotation will suddenly become a 330 degree one the other way in Unity. Well it still exists and my current solution when one of the rotations break down is just to keep re-importing until I get lucky. :mad:  Anyone have a proper fix? 

Also I had issues with autosave and the constant re-importing every time i saved (I'm a manic saver) so I keep my working Spriter file outside of the Unity Project, and import it in when I want to update animations. But I never actually open or work on the file inside the Project, always the external one. This also gives me a backup incase something goes wrong.

Your workflow sounds like a good idea to avoid hassle and protect your working Spriter project AniMittra,

I highly recommend making a screen regarding of the bug in action and zipping up and sending both the video of the bug and your Spriter project to the developer of Spriter2Unity.  Its much more likely you'll get his attention more quickly contacting him via the github page, especially if you have a concise bug report for him to examine.

https://github.com/bonus2113/Spriter2Unity

Cheers,
Mike at BrashMonkey