Deformation

cipicips

Thanks RunnerPack,

Yes, the feature is planned and in the works. Edgar is not yet finished perfecting the UI and data format for the feature, so the current implementation, shown in the video is definitely only to play with and NOT for any work you want to keep or use in a game, as the complete data format around that feature and its UI etc will completely change in the final version of the feature.

cheers,

Mike at BrashMonkey

thx both of you for answer

well this is very major feature (at least for me) it would save me a lot time and numbers of sprites for animations.

I hope it will be implemented in the near future :)

Btw I was playing a lot with skin since you answered my topic, I have stumble across few bugs so should I post some of them in Bug Reports or not since it is only experimental thing ?

Best regards

Ivan

It's almost pointless to repot bugs for the skin feature, as it will nearly completely change for the final version of the feature.

It's a high priority feature for us too... but keep in mind, especially for mobile devices, with many animations on screen, the skin mode is likely to be more expensive for FPS...because many vertices will have to be tweened and recalculated per frame per skin object, so I suggest you do a lot of benchmarking once the skin feature is finished before creating every animation of every in-game object with deforming sprites etc.

cheers,

mike at BrashMonkey

I would prefere if skin feature was changed compeletely, they got it right in spine software and its easy to edit whenever you want, right now in spriter you can only edit it when setting up, then youre screwed if you made mistake cause you cant setup skins twice or more to fix problems.

My main hope for a skinning/deformation system is to achieve Rayman Legends style animation : limbs and torsos are constantly squashing and stretching to wonderful subtle effect. I'd pictured being able to deform by moving bones too: move the hand base to stretch the forearm. The main title on the game with it's coiled vine silhouette animating seems like it would be deformed by a coiled chain of bones.

The current skinning mechanics are no indication of what the final version will be like. They are just there as a proof of concept. The way skinning is saved and the UI will both change significantly. The goal will be to make it as intuitive, flexible, easy, and efficient as possible. There are a few more basic features for 1.0, and then we will be going into the skinning features. Any of the animation techniques you see in Ubi-Art framework (Rayman Legends) should be possible and simple with the final version of the skinning feature.

• 2 years later...