Spriter B8 Bug Thread

lucid

Thanks for the great app! I've only just started using it and discovered a few things. I hope the bug report helps, and apologise if it's already been logged.

Multi Screen Sprite Pivot Edit Bug:

When I load up spriter, it likes to only appear on my primary monitor on windows. I move the window over to my Cintiq (second monitor is a tablet) and maximise. I think double tap a sprite in folder explorer in the palette to change my default pivot point for each sprite. The little black dialogue appears on my primary monitor rather than my secondary, and I can't sort it myself as it has no grabbable edge to drag it to it's proper spot on the secondary monitor.

Project Location Bug

I created a new project and specified it's root folder as my pieces folder (under which are walk pieces folder, idle pieces folder etc). Then on exiting I elected to save the project file (scml) up one folder above pieces, as it made sense to have it in the root. On trying to open that file on application restart, the app hung and had to be killed. I moved the project file into the pieces folder and it opened successfully. Something to do with relative paths and not recovering from failing to find a folder??

Thanks for the continuing bug reports everyone.

Spriter v8_2 (beta)

Released 5/24/2014

Bug Fixes

[*:3in9c9pc]Fixed a bug that made certain combinations of object types save with the wrong id values.
    [*:3in9c9pc]Added missing title to curve editor widget.
    [*:3in9c9pc]Fixed a bug that made it so you had to deselect min or max spinboxes in the Import Frames dialog before dragging out the initial image for your changes to take effect.
    [*:3in9c9pc]Fixed a bug where in certain situations Spriter would save duplicate 'obj_info' entries, which also caused issues when loading those files.
    [*:3in9c9pc]Fixed a Mac bug where the arrow key shortcuts wouldn't work to nudge selected objects one pixel.

@lucid - today when I dragged my Psi character onto my spriter layout in my C2 window, it replaced all of her original sprites with new ones that use her name twice at the beginning instead of once--what this effectively did is erase any events that referred to her individual sprites. Any idea what the problem is? Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

* I tried using onion skinning and found irritating behavior what might be a bug. If I drag animation cursor on timeline, onion skinning works fine, but if I double click on key-frame or create one, onion skinning disappears. Right then I need it the most.

* Background color and mode menu options are not saved into project.

* Dragging things around in hierarchy list behaves weird. I tried to use it to disconnect bones what I had connected wrong and found it impossible to drag low hierarchy bones out into highest level.

Is there a another way to disconnect bones?

Spriter version: b8_1

Op sys: Windows

After a couple days of working in a character on v8_1 (latest stable) spriter decided that it didn't like my images or something and decided to replace half of them with it's "missing image" placeholder.

U3ZWmBj.jpg?1

mP8ncpa.jpg

Update: Spriter decided to be a jerk and overwrite a crapload more files.

The first letter on these stand for profile, unlinke the previous ones where they had an f that stood for front, so no, this is not a case of renaming files outside spriter; this is another folder entirely that spriter decided it didn't like.

If it helps in anything, the files that got overwritten where only ones that I had used for image switching.

Hi @TombMonkey,

I hope you have a backup of the images. No one's reported anything like this before. With the p_ and f_ thing, are you saying at one point you renamed them? Also, can you reproduce this same problem with simple steps with this or another project? If so, please send me the zipped project file (and the necessary steps) to lucid@brashmonkey.com.

I tried to reproduce it but wasn't able to.

The images that got overwritten where only the faces, as you can see.

Usually, for such things, what I do is copy and paste one of the existing files, rename the copied file to match the naming structure and then edit the new copied file in my painting program, then hit the update button on spriter.

I have always done that and this is the first time spriter goes and overwrite a bunch of files, and spriter went and overwrote the files when I saved the project.

Needless to say I'm gonna back up all my images before saving from now on, better safe than sorry.

I'm testing Sprite B8.1 in several laptops and netbooks with integrated GMA family GPU, Windows XP/7/8.

It always crashes when export to PNG file.

I get Spriter B5 an test it in GMA GPU with modded drivers (that enhances openGL for GMA) and it's working fine in this laptops when export to PNG, but latest version (B8.1 at this post) is still crashing.

Hi erdo,

Is there any specific feature you might be using that could be tied to the crash, such as skins, pixel art mode or point sampling mode (turning off smooth sampling)?

Thanks,

Mike at BrashMonkey

Hummmm, I don't remember to be honest.

Right now I'm working on HUGE sprites animations for a personal 2D game project on an engine that only admits pre-rendered sprites and Spriter B5 is working fine for me.

So I'll finish this and then reinstall B8 to make more tests and tell you.

Hi everyone,

I'm reading a lot of reports of the export to PNG crash, but please give us more information so we can reproduce this bug and therefore fix it as quickly as possible.

1) What operating system are you on?

2) Are you using any specific mode like pixel art mode etc?

3) Are you using any experimental feature in the animation like skin mode?

4) Are you using a specific export feature like a specific number for frames, strip vs individual images etc?

Any other information that might be helpful.

thanks,

Mike at BrashMonkey

• 2 weeks later...

I have assembled my own small list of Bugs (B.2 on OSX Mavericks):

* When I launch spriter, a blank document window appears maximized(full-width&height) but only for an instant, but then this is replaced by a small blank document window that quickly animates into full-width&height. Doesn't affect functionality, but it's a bit odd behaviour so I thought of reporting it.

* Often when using the X button to close the open document window on the mac, Spriter crashes. Other times it treats closing the window as closing the program itself (which is the expected behaviour) and just quits the program properly. I haven't managed to understand the conditions that cause the program to crash though.

* If you add an image file to the folder of the project, it won't display it, even if you press the refresh button. The folder list is refresh only when you quit the program

*Items(images, bones) often disappear from the hierarchy bar. The trick I use to make them reappear, is toggle the show sprites checkbox off and then on.

* When you double-click on a picture at the file palette in order to change the pivot point, if the image is too large in dimensions(eg 2000x2000), it won't fit on the screen and there won't be a meaningful way to work with it

Hope these help!

Hi,

I'm using the "Import selected images as new object" features. Sometimes, it doesn't import the images in the right order. I think the problem comes from the folder's inspector (palette window) because I've already see that sometimes the images are not in the right order in this window.

I would like the images displayed in this order :

a_image_001

a_image_100

f_image_001

f_image_002

Thanks.

Hi Mike,

I think it imports depending on the order in the file inspector and not alpha-numerically. The problem is : the file inspector lists the files sometimes in the alpha-num sometimes in the opposite order. When the files are in the wrong order, I can have the right order back by relaunching Spriter. So, I think it's a bug.

It's annoying because, I can't import on the timeline when it's in the wrong order, because I will have a backward walk for example. I have to close and open Spriter until the alpha-num order is back.

Please see the image attached to this post.

Is it possible to add a snapping frames feature when importing on the timeline and calculate the end time automatically ? Because I have to calculate myself each time I import a sequence. Thanks.

post-16865-14159834245573_thumb.png

Thank you for the continued bug reports everyone.

@loudo - I will put the automatic time stretch on the todo list. As far as the order, I was about to tell you to click 'name' at the top of that list to reorder it in reverse order, but that's not working, so I'll fix that bug as well.

BUG: right click on image don't show switch box if it's in sub folder.

I try to put diffrent body parts in sub folder to reduce images that show in the switch box,

but it does show if this image is in sub folder...

I just tried it and it works on subfolder images, even if they're more than one folder deep. What platform are you on?

It's ok now, it's because I put the images 2 level deep from the project file.

If it's a sub folder that put in the same folder as .scml file, it is ok!

BUG: right click on image don't show switch box if it's in sub folder.

I try to put diffrent body parts in sub folder to reduce images that show in the switch box,

but it does show if this image is in sub folder...

I just tried it and it works on subfolder images, even if they're more than one folder deep. What platform are you on?