Spriter B7 prerelease (Windows/Mac/Linux) (pre3 4-14)

lucid

Bug report:

Spriter b7pre2, Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

When the last bone in a chain (let's call it "A") is set to not inherit rotation, and its parent ("B") has IK lock turned on, everything works fine while you move things, but when you let go of the mouse button, bone A rotates as if inherit rotation is on.

Update: It only happens when you move a parent bone; it works fine when you rotate parent bones of the two bones A and B.

Ok, I think some of my confusion with editing the timeline might be a bug? Using b7(pre 2) in WIndows 8 VM, in parallels on OSX Mavericks iMac

So I completed a simple logo animation of my plugin name, using just sprites, no bones, and now I want to add some additional elements, like stars sparkling around the name.

I added the first star to the start of the animation, but am having difficulty setting up subsequent key fames. I don't want to copy my first keyframe to every other keyframe, as I want the star animations in different places to my logo animations. If I move the timeline to before the next existing keyframe, I can edit my sprite and the world is good, but if I want to edit it at a place after the next existing keyframe, by copying the first key and pasting it in the new timeline spot, my sprite vanishes because it is not keyed at that existing keyframe which is between my new key and the initial key.

1. However, if I copy the initial key and place it the existing keyframe I just jumped over, and then delete it again straight away, so I only have my initial key for the star, and the new keyframe for just the star after the existing keyframe for the logo, it then tweens properly between the two star keyframes.

2. Also, if I then move the timeline on, then "key all", nothing shows up. I can keep moving the timeline and "key all" with nothing showing in the timeline, but if I then change an element, all of a sudden all of those "key all"s I did show up.

3. Am also experiencing weird timeline behaviour if I undo (cntrl-z) with what is selected. For example, I can delete a keyframe, then undo, then press delete again, and the undo selects different keys, so the second delete is deleting keys further down the timeline, instead of what I had previously selected.

4. Similarly with selection, dragging the keys backs and forth across the timeline, when you release it in it's new position, random other keyframes in the timeline become selected, rather than the one you just released.

5. What behaviour should moving an individual sprite key have? Moving it back & forth across existing keyframes causes it to snap to one I moved over randomly, instead of where I released the key. When an individual key is moved to an empty timeline space, should a "header" key be created? I am ending up with sprite keys with no header, and headers with no sprite keys.

6. If I move say two individual keys from their existing timeline spot, to different spots each, then delete one of the individual, I am getting multiple keys created at the spot of the other individual, for new images I've added to the animation. I then can't delete those new keys, so they may be display artefacts, not real keys.

Russell.

I have another one:

I tried exporting PNGs at 33.3333% (1/3) size, and the images came out "stacked"; i.e. each frame consists of all previous frames with the current one drawn on top, as if the buffer isn't getting cleared before drawing the next frame. I don't know whether it happens with other scale factors, but 100% comes out fine.

Spriter b7pre3 ChangeLog (4/4/14)

[*:vwzoxt4c]Added build for 32bit Linux.
    [*:vwzoxt4c]Improved the ruler on the timeline. Now displays nicer, more useful, and more evenly spaced numbers. When snapping is enabled, the rulers are numbered to multiples of the snapped interval.
    [*:vwzoxt4c]Fixed a bug where the snapping lines were shown even when snapping was off.
    [*:vwzoxt4c]Fixed a bug where an IK-locked bone's children would shift angles after releasing the parent bone, if the child had angle inheritance turned off.
    [*:vwzoxt4c]Fixed a bug where the right click popup wouldn't show up for ik-locked bones if they weren't selected.
    [*:vwzoxt4c]Fixed a bug that prevented the children of IK-locked bones from being edited.
    [*:vwzoxt4c]Fixed a bug where keys dragged past other keys were disappearing when dropped.
    [*:vwzoxt4c]Fixed a bug where keys would change selection after a change was made in the timeline.
    [*:vwzoxt4c]Fixed a Mac specific bug where if OpenGL was enabled, Export to PNG had garbled output.

Download for Windows

Download for Mac

Download for 32 bit Linux*

Download for 64 bit Linux*

*Spriter on Linux depends on certain shared libraries. If this is your first time running Spriter on Linux, or you can't get the latest version to launch, use the following command to install the needed libraries:

sudo apt-get install libqt4-webkit libqt4-help phonon

Hello,

I just bought Spriter in hope of making dynamic and smooth animations with it and use them in Construct 2.

I wish to report some things that I believe rest within the bugs category.

1) If I rescale the timeline below 21 (default is 1000) the program crash. Since I can't really wrap my mind in animating with milliseconds, I "convert" the timeline into a more animator-friendly look with 12/24 fps numbering system and then rescale the animation with the stretch option. The 24 scale works ok, 20 and below crash the program.

2) Sometimes, double clicking on some images within my folder structure doesn't open the pivot window, other times it does open but instead of displaying the respective image, it shows a white box with red border which says "missing image". On both cases, when I drag and drop the image to the canvas it shows up just fine.

3) An rm.png was created with in my root folder which is actually the same "missing image" texture that shows up in my description above.

2) Sometimes, double clicking on some images within my folder structure doesn't open the pivot window, other times it does open but instead of displaying the respective image, it shows a white box with red border which says "missing image". On both cases, when I drag and drop the image to the canvas it shows up just fine.

3) An rm.png was created with in my root folder which is actually the same "missing image" texture that shows up in my description above.

I fixed (2) for the upcoming version, which in turn should also fix (3).

1) If I rescale the timeline below 21 (default is 1000) the program crash. Since I can't really wrap my mind in animating with milliseconds, I "convert" the timeline into a more animator-friendly look with 12/24 fps numbering system and then rescale the animation with the stretch option. The 24 scale works ok, 20 and below crash the program.

I tried to reproduce this crash in many different ways with many different scml files, and I couldn't get it to happen. Which platform are you on? If possible, could you send me an scml project (zipped scml and images/folders) that crashes when you make that change? If it crashes over here, I could probably fix the crash very quickly. It did crash for me if I set the snapping interval to 1 millisecond, and that is fixed for the upcoming version as well.

EDIT: I got it to crash by setting the length to 10 milliseconds or less (fixed as well), but I couldn't get it to crash at 20 milliseconds no matter what I tried.

The crash is occurring every time I try to rescale the timeline 21 (

Hi eli0s, thanks for the quick reply.

I couldn't get it to crash at 20 with your file either, but let's see if the fix I did works for you as well anyway.

This isn't the installer, it's just the Spriter.exe. Just go to the current Spriter installation folder (usually at C:\Program Files (x86)\Spriter) and copy the exe in this zip over the one that's already there. Please let me know if that fixes the crash.

Thanks again.

The crash is occurring every time I try to rescale the timeline 21 (<=20) regardless of the snapping interval (I have snapping turned off).

Hi eli0s, thanks for the quick reply.

I couldn't get it to crash at 20 with your file either, but let's see if the fix I did works for you as well anyway.

This isn't the installer, it's just the Spriter.exe. Just go to the current Spriter installation folder (usually at C:\Program Files (x86)\Spriter) and copy the exe in this zip over the one that's already there. Please let me know if that fixes the crash.

Thanks again.

Dear lucid,

Thank you! That did the trick! No more crashes no mater of the rescaling factor or the ms snapping interval!

:D

Thanks again everyone for your help finding the last few bugs. B7 is now complete.

The official announcement is coming, but if you want to grab it early, the main download page now has version B7 for all platforms. We still have to update our download page with links to both Linux versions, but the version on the download page now is 64 bit, and here is the 32 bit Linux build.

@eli0s, there's a new feature now available in the snapping options that lets you set whether the ruler units are fps or milliseconds, so your workaround won't be necessary anymore.