Spriter B7 prerelease (Windows/Mac/Linux) (pre3 4-14)

lucid

Spriter b7pre3 ChangeLog (4/4/14)

[*:1qgfgs43]Added build for 32bit Linux.
    [*:1qgfgs43]Improved the ruler on the timeline. Now displays nicer, more useful, and more evenly spaced numbers. When snapping is enabled, the rulers are numbered to multiples of the snapped interval.
    [*:1qgfgs43]Fixed a bug where the snapping lines were shown even when snapping was off.
    [*:1qgfgs43]Fixed a bug where an IK-locked bone's children would shift angles after releasing the parent bone, if the child had angle inheritance turned off.
    [*:1qgfgs43]Fixed a bug where the right click popup wouldn't show up for ik-locked bones if they weren't selected.
    [*:1qgfgs43]Fixed a bug that prevented the children of IK-locked bones from being edited.
    [*:1qgfgs43]Fixed a bug where keys dragged past other keys were disappearing when dropped.
    [*:1qgfgs43]Fixed a bug where keys would change selection after a change was made in the timeline.
    [*:1qgfgs43]Fixed a Mac specific bug where if OpenGL was enabled, Export to PNG had garbled output.

Download for Windows

Download for Mac

Download for 32 bit Linux*

Download for 64 bit Linux*

*Spriter on Linux depends on certain shared libraries. If this is your first time running Spriter on Linux, or you can't get the latest version to launch, use the following command to install the needed libraries:

sudo apt-get install libqt4-webkit libqt4-help phonon

Spriter b7pre2 ChangeLog for 3-25-2014

[*:1qgfgs43]fixed 2 crashes that would occur under very specific sets of circumstances, usually when undoing
    [*:1qgfgs43]right click menus to quickly change curve types are back
    [*:1qgfgs43]sound support is working again with the new timeline
    [*:1qgfgs43]fixed a bug in the way sound was saved that may have caused issues when loading
    [*:1qgfgs43]fixed a bug that made it so keys at the very last millisecond of an animation were difficult to see and drag
    [*:1qgfgs43]fixed the object properties window so it updates immediately when dragging the time in the timeline or using the 1 and 2 shortcuts to switch keyframes

Hello everyone,

Back with a quick update and the pre-release for Spriter B7. If you'd like to help us find any bugs and get this version complete as quickly as possible, please back up your current installation of Spriter, and only use this pre-release for testing and feedback purposes. If you find any bugs with this version, please report it to this thread. I will also be updating this thread with working builds for further testing if needed.

There is still quite a bit of polish that will be added, such as better color coding in the new timeline, and enhancing the ruler in the timeline widget. We also need to re-enable some currently disabled functionality, such as hiding timelines, sound support, and the right click shortcut on keys to change speed curves. This will all come over the next few days, along with bug-fixes to anything you find and report.

I will post a detailed changelog with the actual release, but the most important things are a completely redesigned timeline with snapping. There are also several crash fixes, and stability improvements. Most importantly, you now have the ability to add and animate variables and tags. To do this expand the timeline for the object you want to add variables or tags to, and double click the timeline to open up the variable and tag editing window. You can also add variables and tags to the entire entity, by double clicking the metadata timeline under all other object timelines at bottom of the timeline widget. We will be updating the documentation, and making videos with more detailed instructions shortly.

Thank you once again for your patience. There was quite a bit that's been redone and improved under the hood, allowing for faster development and greater flexibility, and we will definitely be taking full advantage of this with future releases and features.

Love the new timeline and the green ghosting like effect between key frames. But I managed to press some keys and the green ghosting effect dissapeared? What is the keyboard combination to make them reapear? Also what is the keyboard shortcut to display the interpolation type in the timeline (instant, regular etc)?

I asked this on the C2 Spriter thread but I'll also ask here - have y'all made any progress on the post spawn flip and the IID error when spawning some objects? Does the latest scml plugin for C2 support alpha fades? Thank you!

Not sure if I'm missing something but I find with the B7 prerelease that I'm not able to change the animation names.

Try to press on F2 key :)

Can we have a documentation of the SCML changes ? because it breaks my implementation (which works with b6.1)

When performing image swapping during an animation, Spriter will interpolate the position between the two keyframes even though the position has not changed relative to the pivot point. This makes image swapping very hard to do at all. This seems to be an older issue though, since it already was the case in B6.1.

Not sure if I'm missing something but I find with the B7 prerelease that I'm not able to change the animation names.

that's fixed in this update (next post in thread)

Can we have a documentation of the SCML changes ? because it breaks my implementation (which works with b6.1)

I will update the documentation with all the new features, but there weren't any changes that should break anything. Please send me the project(scml and files zipped) to lucid@brashmonkey.com and let me know which version it was saved in, and I'll try saving in both and check for a difference between the files, and fix the problem if I find one

looking forward to linux :)

I know. Sorry we're so behind, but we're getting close. All that's left for this release is re-adding in the ability to hide timelines, and whatever polish and bugs anyone finds in the next few days. Then I will build the Mac and Linux versions. Also, this particular release of the Linux version is significant since the data loss in January requires me to setup the Linux build from scratch. I'm going to use this opportunity to see if I can try and address some of the compatibility issues anyone was experiencing on Linux

Is this build of Spriter (b7) supported by the Construct 2 Plugin? Thanks.

Yes. They have been for a while. Not all of the pro features work yet, but once Ashley gets a chance to update the importer it will support all of the pro features except variables and tags, which will come to the plugin shortly after the full release of B7

When performing image swapping during an animation, Spriter will interpolate the position between the two keyframes even though the position has not changed relative to the pivot point. This makes image swapping very hard to do at all. This seems to be an older issue though, since it already was the case in B6.1.

Please send your project (zip or rar of scml and images) to lucid@brashmonkey.com, and I'll take a look. It shouldn't be doing that, and I can't reproduce that bug with other projects or a new project

update pre2 changelog for 3-25-2014(download here)

[*:806b57lx]fixed 2 crashes that would occur under very specific sets of circumstances, usually when undoing
    [*:806b57lx]right click menus to quickly change curve types are back
    [*:806b57lx]sound support is working again with the new timeline
    [*:806b57lx]fixed a bug in the way sound was saved that may have caused issues when loading
    [*:806b57lx]fixed a bug that made it so keys at the very last millisecond of an animation were difficult to see and drag
    [*:806b57lx]fixed the object properties window so it updates immediately when dragging the time in the timeline or using the 1 and 2 shortcuts to switch keyframes

Great news about the Linux version. I hope whatever it is that has stopped it from running is not too hard to find.

I recently went through trying to get the last version running on Linux Mint 16, XFCE, KDE, Cinnamon and Ubuntu Gnome (via live CD) and the executable just wouldn't run, so being able to use it on Linux again is a big big plus for me.

I found a bug.

Click "Save Project As" but don't save.

Select Cancel instead..keep an eye on the menu bar. You'll notice the Project filename is cleared and all Object Pivot points are reset to 0.

Trying this again.

Load you working project back in.

If you select "Save Project As" but this time save it as new project file..when you load that project back in you will see all pivot points other than those used are reset to 0.

Quick test is to Right Click image switch and the switched sprite image will not be swapped correctly.

A side note, absolutely loving the new Snap stuff in the timelime! Nice work!

On the latest fix, I haven't faced any bugs, however the playback speed seems to suffer a bit on certain animations, and not others. It's not necessarily a matter of complexity or length though.

May you be able to add the tick marks of the snapped frames to the collapsed timeline by the way ? Nice separation lines show up in the dopesheet, although not on the timeline itself (maybe this is already planned ;) ).

Cheers,

Nathan

Thanks everyone for the continued bug reports and suggestions.

the playback speed seems to suffer a bit on certain animations, and not others. It's not necessarily a matter of complexity or length though.

If possible, please send me the zipped project. It would be very helpful to track down the performance bottleneck, especially if you can tell me which animations have the problem.

I'm running Windows 8 in parallels on a Mac.

I'm having problems loading my project, that I started on the mac. Copied the directory to my shared folder, and it crashed trying to access them. Then I copied the folder to my Windows desktop. it then opened OK, but just came up with a file browser instead of images in the palette window. only had drive letters, none of the virtual folders like Desktop. So I browsed to c:\user\desktop and it got that far, but would not recognise anything below it. Finally, moved my folder to a standard C:\ subdir, and it's all come up as normal.

I'm also finding it very unintuitive how I need to set and adjust keys in the timeline. I'll go rewatch all thw intro videos, but something doesn't seem right.

Russell.