Construct 2 and Spriter Character Maps

Wermfood

Hello everyone! :D

I am using Construct 2 and Spriter Pro 6b but I am having some trouble with the Character Maps feature. In a nutshell, I have an animated character that has three different shirts and three different pants. Using the Character Maps in Spriter, I can easily drag over any combination that I wish and it works. But if I want to do this same thing in Construct 2, I would have to make an entity of all the possible combinations of shirts and pants that are possible. moreover, as I add things like a hat and gun, these entities grow exponentially. Add to that, three different body types and two different genders and the entity combinations are unmanageable.

I can achieve this without Spriter by having a separate Shirt and Pants Sprite with animations of the different types and then pinning it to my character as they walk around. This does the trick, but Spriter makes everything so much better looking and is 1000 times easier to manipulate.

I have tried pulling in two separate Spriter sprites (one of pants and one as character) and then position them in the game loop in Construct. That just introduces other issues with Z-order and floaty movements and since pinning acts strange with Spriter objects I am stumped on how to proceed.

Can someone tell me if they have done something like this? I saw a Video from Mike on YouTube that had something similar where he was adding an axe and a mask to Grey Guy by clicking checkboxes but he did not demo the code behind in Construct. Its possible it was done with straight entities which really do not make sense in my case. Maybe its something coming in a future release, if so that would also be good to know so I can continue with the path I am on and not try to come up with another type of solution.