Various SCML Format questions

thomcc

Hi! I'm working on a C++ library for parsing and rendering SCML files and I had a few questions about the format (specifically where it's going compared to what is described in the ScmlReference).

I think this link to a SCMLFormatSpecification PDF is dated, but I have a few questions about how much of it is still planned to be used (or, how much the current plan for the spec has diverged from it).

1. [*:189oq8sy] Are meta_data elements part of the B5 spec? If so, where can they appear? (or B6, though I haven't played with it yet as my primary computer doesn't run Windows)
    [*:189oq8sy] Are atlas elements implemented in Spriter? I thought not, but this post makes me doubt myself:
http://www.brashmonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12686.
[*:189oq8sy] The hierarchy element is gone, along with non-ref bones and objects in mainline keys, right?

• 2 weeks later...
Hi! I'm working on a C++ library for parsing and rendering SCML files and I had a few questions about the format (specifically where it's going compared to what is described in the ScmlReference).

This one is the more up to date one. I will be updating it again throughout December to cover the entire spec.

I think this link to a SCMLFormatSpecification PDF is dated, but I have a few questions about how much of it is still planned to be used (or, how much the current plan for the spec has diverged from it).

There's a few things that have changed, since at the time most of the features weren't implemented yet, and so we've changed some of those in response to feedback from developers, and my own personal experience working with the format.

[*:3otmj3sd] Are meta_data elements part of the B5 spec? If so, where can they appear? (or B6, though I haven't played with it yet as my primary computer doesn't run Windows)

They aren't implemented yet, and the spec will be different from the way it is in that older format spec. The variables/meta_data will be the next pro feature to be added, probably for version B7

not yet, but many users just use the separate images within Spriter, and then use an atlas at runtime, accessing each image within the atlas, rather than from the separate images. This will most likely be the last pro feature implemented for 1.0.

[*:3otmj3sd] The hierarchy element is gone, along with non-ref bones and objects in mainline keys, right?

Correct. The non-ref bones and objects in mainline keys were originally meant to be helpful and simplify things for users using a certain style of animation. In the end, they ended up confusing those users, and developers creating implementations. Since the same animation styles could be created without the separate concept of "non-persistent" objects, now all objects follow the same referenced timeline system