My animated sprites

bwwd

Im just importing bodypart as skin and then draw bone over it and assign it to this bone, then i click twice on skin and i manually adjust all points to fit bodypart, its best to split bodypart on every joint than keep it as one picture, maybe tail is exception, i would like to assign multiple bones to skin so tail would deform easily, it ttakes a bit of time to animate points yourself but not that bad.Currently you can assign only 2 bones to one skin and even then your skin needs to lay perfectly flat horizontally, if its angled a bit then you wont be able to assign second bone properly so i just stick to one bone and deform everything myself later.Kinda like with regular sprites bodyparts.

Im using nearest neighbour on raphael animation i posted in other topic.I used smooth sampling on mack the knife from captain commando.I think it doesnt look blurry that much but would be great to have new algorithm from that topic http://brashmonkey.com/forum/index.php?/topic/3394-great-algorithm-for-rotating-pixel-art-sprites/

Problems with tearing you mean ugly nearest neighbour artifacts, it happens when you rotate stuff, if you move it up/down /left/right then its fine.You can clean up animations removing pixels by hand later, dont expect output straight from spriter to be perfect and ready to use in game, you have to remove some pixels here and there when not using smooth sampling.

I dont really need much more in spriter besides "enabling" us to control more stuff, most of the things i wanted is already there and deformation works great. I like it much more than spine deformation because its already subdivided.

I posted in feature suggestions what bugged me the most when working on animations in spine.Its mostly simple functionality stuff that made the work longer like going back to keyframe after you play and stop animation.I think there should be play/stop and it should stop on keyframe you was working on before hitting pla button , there could also be play/pauyse and it would pause on currently played frame.Thats most intuitive way i can think, i know pressing 1/2 is not a big deal but there were times when i created keyframes in bad places and had to go back a lot and start over.Simply because hitting 4 didnt go back to keyframe i was working on.

Thanks for complete response. Yes I know what you talk about, all hardpixel work that is not 45 perfect degree or multiple will cause "tearing" or bad pixels. IF the solution is to clean by hand, using 12 frames per animation is not so much work if you compare with traditional pixelart work, things the old way can be killing.

I want to test point-deformation but I have never tested it. Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi bwwd. I checked your work again and I must say you are very talented because you choose exactly the right angles when doing the base sprites.

I've been thinking about the fact about image switching that you comment at the starting of the thread and yes you've got reason,

the only way to do image switching in very low speed and to be able to make it perfect and not look "jumpy" is forget about imageswitching at low speed and draw those few frames in all the different angles needed, or use deform/skin. 

For fast frames, as you can see, If it looks ok, its ok then.

This last character is very well done, I like the head and how you managed to make the turn with skin.

Cheers.

• 4 months later...

I know it's been asked before, but — I don't suppose you could create a step-by-step tutorial describing exactly how you animate sprites the way you do? :) I'm a complete newbie to Spriter, and I love how your sprites are animated! I keep ending up with sprites that look like jointed paper-dolls, and I'd love to be able to make sprites that move like yours. :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This one is from Chninkel comic book from 80's :)

album-page-large-106.jpg

Deformation feature in spriter is available over one year but its experimental state, it works great for me but its a bit limited and buggy, i learned to work around that , you cant use projects with deformations in game engines unless you export frames one by one as png and its exactly what i do, i prefere that instead of having typical cutout doll look.

HOw to use deformation was explained in this video its all we have about this feature :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi bwwd, I really like your works and curious how you do it ?

Spriter current version have lot of bugs with skin mode (crash / z-order / invisible)

Do you do all movement in skin mode?

Or deform each body parts and save it as several parts.  Then swap body part for each frame in normal mode? (sound a bit hard and annoying for this method -*-)

I really have problem for hair and skirt movement.  Really want to know and need some advice ^^

Sorry for my bad English :P

Tia Bone.png

Yes i do all movement in skin mode and every skin bodypart is assigned to bone, dont mix skins and normal sprites.I dont have any major bugs or problems, only when i undo too much .

I did a lot of characters in spriter using deformation and i dont remember losing work or having to start over, maybe at the beginning when i didnt know how to use it properly.Just save a lot.

I dont think that stuff you mentioned are critical bugs, just zoom out when it goes invisible, dont bother with Z order until you setup skins and click twice so you cant edit skin anymore, then start to arrange z order.Crash.. i dont have many crashes ,when it happens is just when undoing a lot or sometimes during loading.

2 hours ago, bwwd said:

Yes i do all movement in skin mode and every skin bodypart is assigned to bone, dont mix skins and normal sprites.I dont have any major bugs or problems, only when i undo too much .

I did a lot of characters in spriter using deformation and i dont remember losing work or having to start over, maybe at the beginning when i didnt know how to use it properly.Just save a lot.

I dont think that stuff you mentioned are critical bugs, just zoom out when it goes invisible, dont bother with Z order until you setup skins and click twice so you cant edit skin anymore, then start to arrange z order.Crash.. i dont have many crashes ,when it happens is just when undoing a lot or sometimes during loading.

Thank you for reply ^^

I try to use skin mode and get use to it a bit more.  

The real problem for me is the body part that use skin mode can't copy to other frame.  It really a problem when I want face deform back to the same angle.

And other problem is how to swap body part when character change angle like rotate and show back part.

Its easy , if you have 2 deformed keyframes and you want make 3rd keyframe to be deformed like 1st keyframe then just go to 1st keyframe on time 100, move timeline just a tiny bit to time 101 and click on character to create new keyframe, then move this keyframe forward from time 101 and use it as 3rd one on time 300 or wherever you want it.In short- just create new keyframe thats very close to the one you need, and then move this newly created keyframe to desired position.

Sometimes when you only want to copy torso deformation then you can also copy pose from other animations, so you have key on 100 and another key on 200 then paste entire pose to time 150, then select just torso keys and move them where you want them for example to time 300, when youre done then remove all keyframes on time 150 :)

So, dont paste poses from other animation onto your existing keyframes because it will ruin your animation, paste them somewhere inbetween so you can remove them easily later without affecting your other keyframes after copying / moving what you want.

19 hours ago, saga55555 said:

Thank for the tips.  I get use to skin mode a lot now :D 

I totally gave up on using the skin mode in Spriter. apart from all the infuriating bugs, which is really a big deal for me I just found out that you cant even use an animation with FFD in construct 2. So skin mode is right now just for showing off, you really cant make any use of it...