dynamically changing images used by spriter?

onionsack

Is it possible to replace an image that spriter is using with one from a server? To clarify and give some background; i am building a game were you have a team of ninjas and battle other peoples teams. Each ninja will have its own xp level (which is displayed by the color of their belt) and will be equipped with a weapon that the user has purchased and specifically assigned it to that ninja. So i am looking to be able to replace that artwork for the belt and the weapon dynamically while sill keeping it assigned to the corresponding bone in the animations. Is this possible?

Is there a way to have the character map call an image (specifically in this case, a weapon) that is not in the root folder? Say from a live web server? The thought is that the game is online and we will be releasing new weapons all the time and ideally would like to not have to update the spriter file each time.

Is there a way to have the character map call an image (specifically in this case, a weapon) that is not in the root folder? Say from a live web server? The thought is that the game is online and we will be releasing new weapons all the time and ideally would like to not have to update the spriter file each time.

All the time? Like every 15 minutes?

Because if not then I see no reason to not just redownload the spriter file (they are 200 kb tops).

I have never ever played an online game that doesn't have to patch when new stuff is added.

It will be frequent enough. Here is the scenario: This game will be on mobile platforms and we want to add, change and/or remove some content weekly or bi-weekly. If we have to have all the art work in the spriter file then we are going to need to submit a new version to the ios app store and android marketplace every time we want to add or remove content. This is not only inconvenient because of the varying lengths of the approval process, but also in that we can not guarantee that all users will get the latest version.

This is beyond my knowledge.

I do know they have never mentioned such a thing.

I think this is something that's up to you or your team to figure out how to do, it should be possible to do by modifying the sclm a bit to point to a web server instead of a folder, but as I said, it's beyond my knowledge.

Hi onionsack,

This would depend on the game-engine/authoring system you're using much more so than Spriter. It's a cool idea, and we'll encourage plug-in makers to keep in in mind when supporting Spriter, but there's really nothing that has to be done to Spriter's editor or data format to make this happen, its all on the game-engine/authoring system/plug-in side of things.

cheers,

Mike at BrashMonkey