Spriter B5 Released!

lucid

Hello everyone. This version of Spriter addresses several bugs with version B4. I'm midway through development of several new Pro features, but they are not quite ready for release.

We decided to release this build now to address the more serious bugs in B4, so no new features in this build, but likely more than one will appear in the next version.

If anyone was affected by the file corruption bug, and needs their file repaired, please send it to me at lucid@brashmonkey.com and I will fix it manually and send it back. We were going to automate the process, but the time it would take to develop the automated fix, and the risk of 'fixing' an unbroken file, outweighs the time it will take to fix the files for the small number of people affected by the bug. Thanks for your patience with this build everyone. A number of factors contributed to the delay, especially the time it took to find the way to reproduce this bug so I could fix it. (a special thanks to Buttermonster on our forums for finding the key steps)

We had also 'upgraded' to the latest version of the UI framework, which unfortunately turned out to have severe bugs on Mac and Linux, and so required a roll back and reversion to the previous code.

Again, sorry for the delay in the new release, I'll keep you posted on the progress of the next one which will actually bring new features.

Changelog:

[*:3a544tkh]Zoom speed now scales so close zooming feels as fast as far away zooming
    [*:3a544tkh]Increased zoom range - now 1% to 1000%
    [*:3a544tkh]Increased layout size drastically to allow for much larger characters
    [*:3a544tkh]Fixed a ui bug that showed widgets jumbled in the corner just after loading a character
    [*:3a544tkh]Fixed a save corruption bug that would break projects if the user performed a specific series of actions before saving
    [*:3a544tkh]Character Maps can now be applied while an animation is playing
    [*:3a544tkh]Spriter now rewinds to 0 automatically when a new animation is created
    [*:3a544tkh]Decreased the minimum width of the timeline widget (forced a large window size when timeline was docked)
    [*:3a544tkh]Fixed an issue where under certain circumstances creating a new animation would result in odd behavior, like sprites being hidden until the next time the file was loaded
    [*:3a544tkh]Fixed a bug where moving an object after selecting it from outside the canvas would cause odd issues with the transform box
    [*:3a544tkh]Fixed a bug where shortcut keys 1 and 2, or the forward and backward key buttons would change the current time, but the onion skins wouldn't update
    [*:3a544tkh]Fixed a problem where dragging a sprite with a default pivot point from the file palette would cause it to shift upon dropping it onto the canvas
    [*:3a544tkh]Fixed a bug that prevented you from panning in the canvas while an animation was playing

Download version B5 here

Edit:

Sorry for the bumpy release. 2 things. If you downloaded this yesterday for Windows it crashed immediately upon performing an action. My mistake, after rolling back I packaged the wrong exe. Redownload and it should work fine now. Thanks to the users who promptly reported the crash.

Also when you go to download, you might receive a malware message from Firefox or Chrome. Apparently, certain virus scanners have alerted users of our downloads simply because they haven't been around that long, and they contain executable files. If enough users have their virus scanners to automatically forward that information, or manually forward it, it causes this message to begin to appear. We've filed a request to have this warning removed and we just have to wait it out. Also we've scanned the program downloads just in case, and there's no malware. Depending on your browser version, it may look like there's no option to download the file. There is a small link on Firefox in the corner, and in Chrome you have to click 'advanced' and 'proceed at your own risk'.

Also one more thing I forgot in last nights changelog:

[*:3a544tkh] Fixed a bug where Spriter wouldn't let you make bones back to back in rapid succession, and would sometimes grab the previous bone instead.

Thanks for your patience everyone, and enjoy!

Thanks for this, glad to hear you managed to reproduce and solve the save bug.

This release matchs up perfectly with a free week I have to work on my game.

Also, Firefox labeled brashmonkey.com as an attacker site, at least when I hit the download for windows link.

Reported Attack Page!

This web page at www.brashmonkeygames.com has been reported as an attack page and has been blocked based on your security preferences.

Attack pages try to install programs that steal private information, use your computer to attack others, or damage your system.Some attack pages intentionally distribute harmful software, but many are compromised without the knowledge or permission of their owners.

Thanks for the info.

After starting with spriter (B4) last week and doing some pre-gamedevelopment-tests I will start now with B5 with my game.

Question: will you provide new video-tutorials for the upcoming new features?

We're working to fix that. From what we were able to determine, certain virus scanners have alerted users of our downloads simply because they haven't been around that long, and they contain executeables. If enough users have their virus scanners to automatically forward that information, or manually forward it, it causes this message to begin to appear. We just have to file a request and wait it out.

In the meantime, you can download the files by choosing to continue to the website.

-Mike at BrashMonkey

• 2 months later...

I wish there would be option to merge keyframes easier instead of them stuck one on another, id like to mmove keyframe on timeline and if i move new keyframe to old one then it will be updated to new one, now i have to delete,copy paste etc