Spriter 1.0 Roadmap?

leissler

Currently there are these items from the feature list:

• Basic (free version) and Advanced ease in or out support.

• Set up guide grids and load in background images to work on top of.

• Place unlimited, named “action points†per frame.

• Place unlimited, named, AND valued collision rectangles per frame.

• Set variables for characters, with default values which can be triggered to change at any animation frame.

• Merge multiple Spriter project files into a single file (great for working on large game projects with a team).

• Trigger and preview sound samples with volume control per frame.

• Quickly replace images or entire image folders.

• Create rotated version of frames.

• Automatically import sequential images as animations.

• Texture atlas (spritesheet) support via TexturePacker integration.

Hi,

thanks for that summary. Indeed some great features in the works there.

My question was for a roadmap or timeline until 1.0.

Right now its a bit hard to predict or plan projects with Spriter as the time to reach 1.0 is completely unknown. Will it take 2 weeks? A month? 3 months? A year?

Original plan was December 2012, right?

Sorry to press on this issue...but if your tool wasn't so awesome I wouldn't bother ;)

best wishes

Martin

• 1 month later...
Hi,

thanks for that summary. Indeed some great features in the works there.

My question was for a roadmap or timeline until 1.0.

Right now its a bit hard to predict or plan projects with Spriter as the time to reach 1.0 is completely unknown. Will it take 2 weeks? A month? 3 months? A year?

Original plan was December 2012, right?

Sorry to press on this issue...but if your tool wasn't so awesome I wouldn't bother ;)

best wishes

Martin

I second this request, we have posponed a project with Spriter and now we are using Spine; because stability and runtimes. But I'm still waiting for Spriter because I think it will be a very very useful tool for us.

If you really need to start a project at this moment and have to chose a software Spine is the way to go, it kicks spriter's ass so hard in the implementation department it's not even funny.

I heard that Edgar had some health issues that set spriter's development back quite a bit, in the meantime Spine developed quite a few features that are still on spriter's coming soon list (easing curves, texture packer, events).

I choose spriter over spine mainly because of ease of use, and I gave spine a good look over the last month. I already had to deal with Toon Boom Harmony's brutal interface and I don't want to deal with any more convoluted interfaces for a while. Spriter's interface, while worse looking, it's far more intuitive and faster to work on than spine's (spine's "ghosting" onion skinning is just ugh wtf). My only complain about spriter's interface is that if you forget an important hotkey you are pretty much fucked and will have to go check the help.

Also I plan on selling the assets I create for my games, and on this ground spriter is better than spine; someone can buy the assets and use the spriter free version to edit/render them, while on spine a buyer would either have to use the animations as is by implementing the .json or have to cough up $100 to buy the software to be able to edit or render them.

• 6 months later...

Bump :p

I know it's silly of me but I wasn't feeling like creating a new thread, when one already existed.

Basically what is the currently planning, timeline with some estimation?

Have you thought of using a bug/task tracking tool like Jira (https://www.atlassian.com/en/software/jira) or similar ? It could be made public and people can publish the bugs there.

It's also helpful to track your feature development, giving them different priorities. etc.

:)

Any official implementations in engines as well? like for unity2D (although i know that someone made one a few month back) ?