My first animation test with bones!

KFII

Hi everyone!

I made this vector-based running character this afternoon just for testing purposes. It's my 1st time trying out the bones system, with pro that I got just today, so please don't expect too much :p

I gave the character 4 arms, it was not easy to control the Z order, (I watched the vids, they gave me inspiration :) unfortunately I didn't know how to align the deepest arms in the point of view to be under everything in the lowest layers automatically, (pasting to all keys kept the arms on the top layer, and copy pasting just the bones didn't help either, only copy pasting arms in the same keyframe preserved the Z order, but I didn't copy paste in each keyframe, I just pasted in each frame, to gain time,) so I had to do it manually, but after some minutes I became fast by using shortcuts only and having a minimal process to go faster. In any case here's the animation, I did not prepare any animation template or plan for it, which is why it may look unnatural, it was an improvisation (last month I tried something similar in free version but there were no options for bones, so it was harder to keep everything right.) If anyone has suggestions for controlling the Z order right after cloning the entities, that would be really great! (also I had to keep the reverse looping of animation, because if I disabled the looping then the smallest error I made or if I deleted a keyframe, Spriter wanted to remember absolutely everything and didn't let me delete or change stuff along the timeline, but as long as I could do workarounds, then it's cool :)

Edit on 19 june 2013: reuploaded AnimTest2 with all the images this time, I was silly to think that the SCML was going to contain all the images hahaha

RunTest2.zip

Lol Mike!

I can't believe I've been so silly to think that the images were contained in the SCML :p (I compared the size taken by all images with the size of the SCML and thought the code would have been very light ^^, that's why I thought the SCML was enough)

Also thanks for your appreciation, as you may see this isn't really a character, but just geometrical shapes to hint for an animation, next time I'll post my first character! (Working on its graphics right now!) :)

• 1 month later...

Thanks bwwd, yeah that's true. The weird thing in my first experience with animating it, is that even when I "felt" the problem, fixing it was not immediately evident, as for this time, the character needs more time in the air, because as it is right now it feels like it's glued to a strong gravity. I wanted to think that the reason was that it has four arms, lol, but now that I think of it it's not logical, because it would help the character gain even more time in the air : ) So yeah next time I'll use more realistic animation frameworks based on observed (real world) models, at least for inspiration : )