B3 Bug Report thread

lucid

Two different folder paths are created for the same image: one for the image used in the animation and one for pivot properties.

Create a new animation.

Adjust pivot properties of an image.

Add the image to the timeline.

Save.

Adjust pivot properties of image. * Note that the values you set before saving are reset.

Set a new pivot point.

Save.

Note the slight differences in pathing. First folder refers to the first image placed. Second folder refers to new pivot changes made. If any new images are added, they reference the second folder.

You cannot copy / paste objects between animations and when you add a sprite.png to an animation while it exists in another animation, it creates a "sprite_000" object, which I hope is not by design :) . I want to have the same object across multiple animations and right now cannot. Aside, great update to copy/paste system, the "paste in all frames" and "delete from all frames" works great! good job!

Nice find elpeedros. I'll report this to Edgar asap.

@ ranma, Please try copying the object(s) again, then going to the new animation and trying paste again. It works for me fine...In fact, I'll soon be uploading a video which includes a demonstration of copying to a new animation. (both objects and an entire copied frame)

Also, please everyone, don't forget to tell us what OS you're using when you report a bug to help resolve the issues more quickly and easily.

cheers,

Mike at BrashMonkey

Nice find elpeedros. I'll report this to Edgar asap.

@ ranma, Please try copying the object(s) again, then going to the new animation and trying paste again. It works for me fine...In fact, I'll soo be uploading a video which includes a demonstration of copying to a new animation. (both objects and an entire copied frame)

Also, please everyone, don't forget to tell us what OS you're using when you report a bug to help resolve the issues more quickly and easily.

cheers,

Mike at BrashMonkey

hey, thanks for the quick reply, I just tried this on a new project using exaple sprites from hero example and it worked fine (well I had to tap ctrl+C a few times for it to react, but that's not a biggy) - so I couldn't reproduce the "_001" effect and this is probably because the previous scml was from an earlier version or something. using windows 7 here if that helps. I will try to reproduce this in a new scml file with the hero example, if I succeed I will post with steps.

cheers!

edit: ok, I get it now:

1) the ctrl+v works second time i press it - this is probably a bug of some kind.

2) when you drag the "sprite.png" from File Palette to "animation2" when it already exists in "animation1" it creates "sprite_001" - this is probably by design and can be lived with I believe.

3) when you ctrl+c "sprite" in "animation1" and double ctrl+v in "animation2" it creates a "sprite" instance in animation2 which is fine.

4) when you ctrl+c "sprite" in "Z-order" palette it doesnt seem to copy the sprite to the clipboard - Hierarchy palette ctrl+c also doesnt work - it works only if you select the sprite in the main window - this poses a problem when you want to copy a sprite that is covered by other sprites, you have to drag it to top of hierarchy palette, select it in main window, ctrl+c, drag it back on the hierarchy pallete and paste it when you want it.

hope that helps!

Im not sure I understand the copy and paste ... its not working for me in "same animation"

for instance, I am adding legs for a deer, from the objects board.

one piece above knee and one below, I going to have four sets so I add the two pieces and then when they are sized right i try to copy

and paste it for three more.... and i cant see where it shows up any where in the project.

if im missing something please let me know. ( this was working good for me in build 2)

also, I saved the project file to my desktop and went back to it later.... it opened a file that contained every item and file on the

desktop. (could not restore the project to a usable file)

and, When adding bones, build 2 allowed you to release the mouse, press it again and it would parent and continue.

having trouble with this now. "have to re-click the bone" and its wanting to select the image instead.

keep up the great work guys!!! Loving this program! cant wait for build 1!!

Windows 7

build 3 (pro)

Two different folder paths are created for the same image: one for the image used in the animation and one for pivot properties....

Note the slight differences in pathing. First folder refers to the first image placed. Second folder refers to new pivot changes made. If any new images are added, they reference the second folder.

Hey elpeedros, I couldn't reproduce the bug, but I did adjust something where I could see this might be happening, please let me know if this fixes it. It should both fix the saved scml, but also prevent it from happening in the first place.

Download this exe(6/7/12 1:47), and overwrite the exe in your installation folder.

Just a note on this, there will be no more daily builds for the time being, as development has reached a point where it's going to slow things down instead of speed things up, and dailies are less important as the worst bugs have been ironed out. In cases like this where it will be useful to test a specific thing, I'll still do it.

hey, thanks for the quick reply, I just tried this on a new project using exaple sprites from hero example and it worked fine (well I had to tap ctrl+C a few times for it to react, but that's not a biggy) - so I couldn't reproduce the "_001" effect and this is probably because the previous scml was from an earlier version or something. using windows 7 here if that helps. I will try to reproduce this in a new scml file with the hero example, if I succeed I will post with steps.

cheers!

edit: ok, I get it now:

1) the ctrl+v works second time i press it - this is probably a bug of some kind.

2) when you drag the "sprite.png" from File Palette to "animation2" when it already exists in "animation1" it creates "sprite_001" - this is probably by design and can be lived with I believe.

3) when you ctrl+c "sprite" in "animation1" and double ctrl+v in "animation2" it creates a "sprite" instance in animation2 which is fine.

hope that helps!

ranma, hello. A few things

You can drag out several head.png images for the same frame, and each one will receive an incremental name. The sprites all have unique names(double click anywhere in the ui where the name is to change it). This will be even more useful in the future, but for now it's still useful to have the objects be separate concepts that you call tell apart from eachother, and very useful for developers who want to make sprites interactive in some way.

If you want to drag out "head", the object (not just a new object with the same image), you drag your image from the object palette instead of the file palette. By default it's tabbed behind the file palette. This lets you view objects in your current entity (character), and displays a view where you can see all images used by a sprite at the same time. This is how you let Spriter know it's not a new object using head.png, but that you want to use an object named "head" that you used in another frame or animation.

4) when you ctrl+c "sprite" in "Z-order" palette it doesnt seem to copy the sprite to the clipboard - Hierarchy palette ctrl+c also doesnt work - it works only if you select the sprite in the main window - this poses a problem when you want to copy a sprite that is covered by other sprites, you have to drag it to top of hierarchy palette, select it in main window, ctrl+c, drag it back on the hierarchy pallete and paste it when you want it.

The above linked update should now copy keys if the timeline widget has focus, and if any other widget has focus(such as the canvas, hierarchy, and z-order widgets), then it should copy selected items from the entity. The video below goes into detail about all the copy pasting and cloning features

Im not sure I understand the copy and paste ... its not working for me in "same animation"

for instance, I am adding legs for a deer, from the objects board.

one piece above knee and one below, I going to have four sets so I add the two pieces and then when they are sized right i try to copy

and paste it for three more.... and i cant see where it shows up any where in the project.

if im missing something please let me know. ( this was working good for me in build 2)

also, I saved the project file to my desktop and went back to it later.... it opened a file that contained every item and file on the

desktop. (could not restore the project to a usable file)

and, When adding bones, build 2 allowed you to release the mouse, press it again and it would parent and continue.

having trouble with this now. "have to re-click the bone" and its wanting to select the image instead.

keep up the great work guys!!! Loving this program! cant wait for build 1!!

The project file should be saved to the same folder it was created. Spriter doesn't save the images, and relies on them being at the same relative location at load time. I'll add some better feedback in the future so it's easy to know what went wrong. If the file was created on the desktop and the images are located there, please send me the zipped project folder with relevant images and I'll see what I can find out.

The video below explains copy/paste as we've enhanced a few things to give you better control. I'll explain it briefly, but the video below is very thorough.

Copy paste now copies the exact object, but does not clone.

This means if you copy paste a sprite named "arm" on a frame that already has "arm", it will just move that "arm" to the position/angle/width of the original copy, instead of creating a new one. To clone something now, you hold control and drag one or more items, and instead of dragging the original, you will be dragging a clone. This way you have full control over whether you're creating a new object, overwriting a current one, or creating a clone. There's other useful things it does like maintaining parent child bone relationships, and holding shift to paste to all frames. If you want all the info, it's in the video below.

So I have a complete and repeatable crash upon starting a new project. I select a folder with my items inside of it and the Spriter art board becomes a jumbled mess or hacked up views of my own desktop. any action after this point causes a complete crash with a system report.

Any Ideas?

Dropbox link to the picture of the error.

https://www.dropbox.com/lightbox/home?s ... 2%20PM.png

I am running a MacBook Pro with 16GB ram, MAC OS X 10.7.5

• 3 weeks later...

A small bug but very annoying usability issue:

When I make a new animation, the timer doesn't go to zero so I start making my first frame in the middle of the animation then, there is no simple way to even change it as there first animation.

Copy -> paste to all frame also doesn't keep the layer order when pasting. Might be because its tricky as some object might be removed and so on in between.. but still, I'd be willing to see the trouble then.

For me this usually seems to happen when the onion skin timeline does not actually cross multiple keyframes. Just having it stretch over a tweened area between keyframes does not show up but I do not expect that it would since the point is to show me where it is during each frame. Is that what you are seeing? Or is it more along the lines of just nothing showing?

Hi everyone, just wanted to post a general response that I am reading and fixing these, and most of what's been posted is already fixed for the next version. So thank you for your continued bug reports. They are useful and appreciated :)

This isn't a bug as such, but it is very annoying none the less.

It seems that rotations are based off the pivot point you can set, but scaling still works from the top left?

This causes issues when trying to scale an image up and down as because the scaling is done from the top left it makes the object slide out of position, rather than just get bigger "in place" as it were.

Imagine a characters torso, which you want to scale up and down to simulate breathing.

Currently when you scale it up, it slides out of position and goes out of place with the rest of the character.

There may be a reason for this, and if it's something I am doing then I'm all ears on how to work around it.

This isn't a bug as such, but it is very annoying none the less.

It seems that rotations are based off the pivot point you can set, but scaling still works from the top left?

This causes issues when trying to scale an image up and down as because the scaling is done from the top left it makes the object slide out of position, rather than just get bigger "in place" as it were.

Imagine a characters torso, which you want to scale up and down to simulate breathing.

Currently when you scale it up, it slides out of position and goes out of place with the rest of the character.

There may be a reason for this, and if it's something I am doing then I'm all ears on how to work around it.

in the latest version (b3), scaling works from the pivot point instead of the opposite corner of the drag.

holding alt should make it behave the old way that you describe. are you sure you're using the latest version?

I opened my project and it look like a bomb went off. All the bones and .png assets were everywhere, and they are warped and resized. All of the keyframe information is still there, however. I realize something like this can occur on a per-asset basis if you accidentally delete all the key frames of an object, but that isn't the case here.

DCtv1vW.jpg

How do I fix this? What did I do to cause this? Is is remediable? I don't want to lose my project :(