PNG sprites extremely blurry on import in Spriter free

Jaccubin

I was attempting to use the free version of Spriter to animate some simple pixel art, however when I import the sprite folder into a new project the sprites become very blurry (see attached image). The png's are actually completely crisp pre import. Does anyone know what would cause this, and if there is a workaround?

Thanks

post-10457-14159834085294_thumb.png

Yes, it's due to the upscaling of the image. It won't have any effect on how the animation looks in your game (unless you're using exported images rather than the animation directly, of course). The developers have stated that this anti-aliasing will be optional by version 1.0, so your problem with blurry images will go away, eventually.

• 3 weeks later...

This happens to me, too. I think Spriter is using an anti-aliasing filter by default, but this should not affect your original sprite files at all.

If you're going to use a specific language binding for spriter (what you definitely should do) the result should be the one you expect.

Spriter should have an option to turn the anti-aliasing/blur effect on and off.

If you're going to use a specific language binding for spriter (what you definitely should do) the result should be the one you expect.

Could you please elaborate on that? I am a graphic designer and not a developer so "language binding" is a little too much for me.

Thanks

Could you please elaborate on that? I am a graphic designer and not a developer so "language binding" is a little too much for me.

It means that Spriter works best if the game engine you're using supports it. Then you can use the original images and the spriter file, instead of exporting the animations as a series of PNG images. This has several advantages, including smaller file size, possibly greater flexibility, and that your problem won't be an issue because the rendering is done by the game engine.

Ok,got it.

The problem is that the blurry effect is "inside" Spriter before exporting.Is this only visible in Spriter and will be ok on the exported animation?

Yes. The blurring is caused by the way the image is drawn (the reason for it is simple antialiasing), and will not have any effect on the animation itself. Unless the game engine is doing some antialiasing of its own, there'll be no blurring.

There will be a pixel art friendly mode built into Spriter which will not anti-alias while in Spriter and will export non-anti-aliased PNG's for people who only want to export sequential animations and not benefit from actual .scml support in their game engines.

This feature will likely not appear until after all critical features have been added... In the mean-time, as other's have said, if you use Spriter files themselves and the original images you've created in your game engine instead of exported PNG's, then it would be ut to your game engine to either filter (anti-alias) the animations or not.

cheers,

Mike at BrashMonkey