version B2 bug/crash report thread (and daily Win32 builds)

lucid

Hello everyone,

Please use this thread to report bugs, until I have a chance to clean the bug-tracker of bugs that no longer apply to this build. Things are much more tightly integrated and compartmentalized in a way much more suited to the framework than the previous version. In other words, there shouldn't be a such thing as 'general instability'. If there are crashes, there is a very specific cause. Please help us to find these remaining crashes and bugs, so we can release a fix in the short term. Please report all relevant information including OS, and what exactly you were doing when the bug occurred. This is especially important for crashes. If you can figure out the exact process to reproduce a crash, but can get it to happen often, and you're able to screen record it happening, then I may be able to figure out what caused it.

Thanks for testing everyone.

Daily Builds

Will be updating this thread from time to time with incremental builds. This will not be a forever ongoing daily build thing, but while we squash these first bugs and until we can remove the "pre-" from preBeta, will be posting updates here as I fix things. This should not be considered official releases, and is merely to accelerate the testing/fixing process. Also, when I do this, unless it's a mac or linux specific fix, it will be the Windows version only simply because that is what my development machine is, and building 3 versions for these in-betweens will significantly slowdown overall development. That being said, the arm situation is still ongoing, so I won't give a firm estimate, but there will not be a long delay between official versions again, 2 weeks at the longest. I will post fixes as I need them to be tested, could be multiple times a day, or none at all, whichever makes testing/developing fastest. To install them, simply drop them in the install directory for the current pre-beta.

Still missing the pivot points in the properties window, any chance you can put that in the next build, not being able to set anchor point to (0,1),(1,0),(0.5,0.5) exactly is a problem, setting by hand is only so accurate

Glad the latest build is nearly in a stable enough state for use in production. Look forward to 1.0

Hi simmon,

Until Edgar has a chance to reply, have you tried doubleclicking on images in the File Palette? This brings up the default pivot point associated with any given image, and allows you to place the pivotpoint by hand or via typing numbers... Then every time you drag that image onto the canvas, it will have this exact pivotpoint unless you manually change it in the canvas.

cheers,

Mike at BrashMonkey

The Wacom mouse's left click does not seem to work inside the program. It works with the pen though. Not sure what it can be, since i upgraded my driver as well.

Sometimes i can get it to pick up a left click once if i unfocused and refocused it. It's random though.

Hi simmon,

Until Edgar has a chance to reply, have you tried doubleclicking on images in the File Palette? This brings up the default pivot point associated with any given image, and allows you to place the pivotpoint by hand or via typing numbers... Then every time you drag that image onto the canvas, it will have this exact pivotpoint unless you manually change it in the canvas.

cheers,

Mike at BrashMonkey

Hi Mike, this is a very nice addition, but since you can animate the pivot, it doesn't really remove the need for having a precise way to edit pivots in the object properties.

these issues are still here from a previous build. when i double click an image to adjust it's pivot before bringing it to canvas i don't see the image anywhere and the window takes up a much larger portion on the screen than in the new tutorial you posted. also i adjust the z order by dragging images up or down and get funny lag, and i don't get an update that shows images any different on the canvas. they're still apparently in the same order even though it's changed in the z-order list. also can't seem to zoom unless i'm using a middle mouse wheel. also just generally feels a little laggy all over and somewhat unstable. keep up the good work sir ( no sarcasm ). running osx 10.7.4 lion macbook.

There's a few bug/problems I've experienced.

1. Right clicking does nothing, no matter where or what I right click.

2. When I delete a sprite and then press undo, nothing happens.

3. When I delete a bone, and then press undo the whole project goes out of whack.

Before

After

Zoomed out

4. I also experience random crashing. I'm on Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

Hi everyone. Will take a look at all the issues you mentioned.

In the meantime this fixes two of the issues with copy paste (there are still some more)

5/6/2013 - 5:17

[*:1yy6bmqk]Fixed a bug where copying multiple mainline keys (the diamond that includes the entire key) would lead to various strange results
    [*:1yy6bmqk]Fixed a bug with copy pasting objects within the canvas, where pasting them back wouldn't always create the associated timeline keys, leading to strange results

There's still some more to do on the copy paste front, especially where bones are concerned. We will most likely put out a b2.1 update out when all these issues are sorted out so Mac and Linux users don't have to wait for another full release for basic copy paste.

Hallooo Spriter team,

Not sure if this is a bug or not, it just looks odd to me. When saving an animation it sometimes saves the

same image ref twice in two different folders (one with a leading slash and one without).

Scml looks like this:

In the editor it looks like there is only one instance of each image though. We have a workaround in our importer

right now because the one with the leading slash would cause errors. But is this a bug or is there a reason why

the same image ref is saved twice?

Cheers,

RAZ

i guess there are bugs with bones, if u make a new bone with a sprite selected, it doesn't always link the bone and the sprite,

also once, the "mother" bone was the head linked to ears, but this bug happened and the head sprite wasn't visible in the hierarchy, had to click it again.

I relinked everything but not at the right moment on the timeline -_- so i decided to copy paste this keyframe to the start, and it bugged hard, the sprites went totally WTF, rotated, enlarged, some disappeared...

can't explain more sorry

when u want to check the time on timeline it doesn't always show the current time (it does when u hold click on timeline)

another bug, when u enlarge a parent bone, the child bone doesn't

also it often crashes, i dunno if i should reinstall B1.

It launches dwwin.exe then drwtsn32.exe and crash

"AppName: spriter.exe AppVer: 0.0.0.0 ModName: unknown

ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset: 003f027f"

it happened last time when i deleted a keyframe from a specific sprite (not a global key frame)

also when you enlarge a bone, it moves the bone, that's weird for me

and if you delete a sprite linked to a bone, it says object deleted in history but it doesn't delete it

If you delete a bone (i had 2 linked) it leaves keyframes, then if you delete them, the bone reappears, wtf ??

PS : i tried to use the bug tracker but it's confusing me and i dont wanna spend time on finding how to write a long description (could only write a title)

Hi all, I am new to Spriter. Just found it a few days ago and made the purchase. With the support for scml in Game Maker being so weak, I am simply utilizing it to create animations and export to .PNG, though I hope someone will write a solid API once this software comes out of Beta. Anyway, on to the bug...

I have pinpointed one of the crashes with bones. I had this happen a few times so I did some testing to reproduce it.

Create a completely new project.

Hold Alt + Left Click and Drag to create a new bone.

Control + Z immediately after you release the mouse.

Apparently when a bone is drawn and the mouse is released, the software is busy creating the internal references to the bone, and trying to undo the creation of the bone while it is still in this momentary bone creation state, causes the whole app to crash.

Not sure how you can prevent this. Maybe something like a flag that is set when a bone is being created, and a check for said flag in the Undo to make sure bone creation is not still taking place. Hope this helps you guys patch another bug. Wonderful app. Keep up the great work!

Cheers,

~Allan

Thanks for the bug report Allan, We'll try and take care of that asap. Full support for Game Make Studio and all other popular authoring systems is only a matter of time..if the communities don't get it done by the time we release 1.0 we'll then focus efforts on helping get full Spriter support implemented asap.

cheers,

Mike at BrashMonkey

I understand you guys are programmers so I totally understand you are used to counting from 0, as in 10 is 0-9. but on the PNG export there are several mistakes that should be cleared up.

1. If the program asks how many images you want Spriter to divide your animation into, you should get that number of images.

Under keyframes to output, the first field reads "images". if you put in 16, you get 17. 0-16. should be 16, 0-15 if you want to count from 0.

2. under source rectangle > custom rectangle, you have left, top, right, bottom. I understand you are used to counting the points, rather than the space between, but in this situation, I don't believe 0 should be counted.

Entering a left of -64 and a right of 64 shows a width: 129

Entering a top of -128 and a bottom of 0 shows a height: 129

I tested this with an image output at -127 top and 0.0 bottom, and the output image was 128px tall.

I believe it should be from 0 to 1 is 1 pixel, from 1 to 2 is 2 pixels ... from 127 to 128 is 128 pixels.

I also checked to make sure it was not something with it flipping from positive to negative, by setting 0 top and 128 bottom, and still showed 129 height. Considering the previous test, this would output a 129px height image.

I could be entirely wrong here, but it just seems to me that the math should not be counting 0 for measurements of image width/height. I understand the reasoning for numbering the output images this way, as many languages have their lists and arrays set to begin counting at 0, so it might be useful on the series of images, but I don't think it's as useful in the png export.

Just my feedback from using the app. still a wonderful tool and I am enjoying using it a lot.

Thank you and keep up the great work!

Bug Report: Stranded keyframe's are never cleaned up.

We have an SCML file that has been through several iterations of Spriter, it's a 900ms animation, yet the SCML is filled with orphaned keyframes that are impossible to remove from within the GUI.

You can see an example of 3 orphaned frames here:

http://cl.ly/image/261q3e2u1x2k

This is replicated over a dozen keyframes and the mainline as well, so quite a hassle to clean up by hand.

Fix: Spriter should check the SCML file, and prune any keyframes that exceed the total animation duration. ie, if it's a 900ms anim, nothing should exist after 900ms.

I've noticed a couple of issues with the Hierarchy window when dragging / dropping.

If you have two sets of parented bones within a hierarchy and truncate one of those sets of bones, then drag/drop an object onto a bone in the open hierarchy set, the truncated set of bones will pop open and fully extend, meaning I lose what I was looking at as the whole hierarchy has extended down the window.

If this doesn't make sense, I can post some screenshots.

Also in the hierarchy window, it would be nice if the item you are dragging becomes alpha'd slightly so you can see where you are dropping the item you are dragging (similar to how photoshop handles drag/dropping layers). At the moment drag/drop can feel a bit awkward because I cannot always see for sure where I am dropping the item.

thanks for the bug reports and feature suggestions guys. Sorry for the lack of dailies.

Had a few interesting ideas while fixing copy/paste that address a number of other useability issues that became part of the fix. As a result, it's taking a little longer, but will be much more useful when it's done. Bear with me a little longer, and please continue to report bugs and feature suggestions.

The Linux-Version crashes my X-Server on startup, I'm running openSUSE 12.3.

The previous version worked.

Here is the error output:

QCssParser::parseHexColor: Unknown color name '#lightgray'

QGraphicsScene::addItem: item has already been added to this scene

QMetaObject::connectSlotsByName: No matching signal for on_undoStack_cleanChanged(bool)

QMetaObject::connectSlotsByName: No matching signal for on_actionCopy_triggered(int)

QMetaObject::connectSlotsByName: No matching signal for on_ExportToPNGAccepted()

Object::connect: No such signal ObjectsInFrameView::objectHovered(ObjectItem*)

Object::connect: (sender name: 'listView')

Object::connect: (receiver name: 'ObjectsInFrameWidget')

Object::connect: No such signal ObjectsInFrameWidget::hoverOut()

Object::connect: (sender name: 'listView')

Object::connect: (receiver name: 'ObjectsInFrameWidget')

QMetaObject::connectSlotsByName: No matching signal for on_alphaSlider_sliderMoved(int,bool)

QMetaObject::connectSlotsByName: No matching signal for on_angleDial_sliderMoved(int,bool)

QMetaObject::connectSlotsByName: No matching signal for on_treeView_dataChanged(QModelIndex,QModelIndex)

Object::connect: No such signal TimelineView::currentTimekeyChanged(KeyItem*)

Object::connect: (sender name: 'graphicsView')

Object::connect: (receiver name: 'TimelineDockWidget')

Object::connect: No such signal TimelineView::currentTimeChanged(int)

Object::connect: No such signal TimelineView::oneKeySelected(KeyItem*)

Object::connect: No such signal SpriterCanvasScene::selectionChanged(QVector)

Object::connect: (receiver name: 'listView')

Object::connect: (receiver name: 'treeView')

Object::connect: (receiver name: 'tableView')

Object::connect: No such signal TimelineView::hoverOut()

Object::connect: (receiver name: 'listView')

Object::connect: (receiver name: 'treeView')

Object::connect: (receiver name: 'tableView')

Error: Failed to parse file./Spriter:Encountered incorrectly encoded content.

X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3

Extension: 154 (Uknown extension)

Minor opcode: 4 (Unknown request)

Resource id: 0x9800035

Spriter: Fatal IO error: client killed

Hey,

I didn't see anyone having this Problem, so here I go. I wanted to add something to an animation I created with spriter, but the file won't load correctly. Only one entitiy is loaded correctly. Everything else is empty and the hierarchy only shows 5 Objects (literally Objects, they are called "Object_001" etc and all have the same weird koords like x = 680000,00000). It shows 5 of them, which is the number of bones I used. Nothing shows on the canvas though.

This happend to me before so this time I saved a lot of increments but every file doesnt load correctly.

So I opened the .scml in an Editor and it seems fine. Everything has it's name and so on, so I guess something is wrong with the loading process (?). Also I hope I don't have to redo all my animations :D.

If this is a known issue I'm sorry.

• 2 weeks later...

Seems like the NVIDIA-driver is causing my problem with the X-Server, on my notebook with an ATI card there is no problem. After switching from the proprietary NVIDIA driver to the nouveau-driver X doesn't crash anymore, but the canvas doesn't seem to update. Attached is a screenshot to show what it looks like. My system is running with the latest Kernel, 3.10.rc2 since today, before it was 3.9.2

post-10483-14159834087756_thumb.png