Export to PNG and gif animation (and GameMaker 8)

HardcoreBadger

Hi,

when i make an animation in spriter, it's fuckin awesome, then i export to png and convert in gif (coz i don't know how to remove the alpha layer for all layers in gimp lol) and it's worse.

here is my test http://www.noelshack.com/2013-16-1366486074-anim2.gif

1) In spriter its much faster

So i just need to reduce the number of frames when i export ?

2) Also as you can see it doesnt have smooth edges and you can see pixels, while in spriter its perfect.

So i wonder if it's caused by the gif format ?

(here it's a bit faster 1366654979-anim3.gif )

3) If it is, i'm using GameMaker 8 to make my game and i'd like to know how should i proceed if you have any idea ? just import all the png and it will work well ? (didnt try yet lol imma try soon, i'm lazy)

Use a gif but it will be of this quality ? or just wait for a plug-in to import scml file (even if i dont understand a shit)

PS : this remind me of this topic viewtopic.php?f=13&t=12146

Hi,

when i make an animation in spriter, it's fuckin awesome, then i export to png and convert in gif (coz i don't know how to remove the alpha layer for all layers in gimp lol) and it's worse.

here is my test http://www.noelshack.com/2013-16-1366486074-anim2.gif

1) In spriter its much faster

So i just need to reduce the number of frames when i export ?

yes, or increase the framerate of the gif

2) Also as you can see it doesnt have smooth edges and you can see pixels, while in spriter its perfect.

So i wonder if it's caused by the gif format ?

(here it's a bit faster 1366654979-anim3.gif )

not sure, do the png files look fine before you change it to gif?

3) If it is, i'm using GameMaker 8 to make my game and i'd like to know how should i proceed if you have any idea ? just import all the png and it will work well ? (didnt try yet lol imma try soon, i'm lazy)

Use a gif but it will be of this quality ? or just wait for a plug-in to import scml file (even if i dont understand a shit)

png will look better than gif by far in most cases. If you wait for the finished implementation (not sure of the current status of the gm implementation) then it should run at a high framerate and use low vram like it does in Spriter

i need this gm implementation but it's not working for now:x

well in spriter it's perfect, in my gif it's blurry + pixelised a little, I tried to check all the png one after one by pressing the arrow key while watching them in windows explorer and it looked like it's not pixelised, but it's still blurry at some points (the "shadow" for example is blurry while in spriter its not)

i dont know how to proceed to have the best quality :x

Do you have some examples of spriter's work similar to this ? a very slow animation

it should be pretty much exactly like it is in Spriter in the exported png as long as you're using the same zoom levels. Spriter just uses a file drawing surface instead of the screen to export to png. If you can show a comparison screenshot of something in Spriter that doesn't look the same in the exported png. Unfortunately, without seeing an exact comparison or the zipped project folder to try it myself, there's not much I can do to help troubleshoot

hey Hardcore Badger, looked into it a bit. Unfortunately, it looks like this problem can't be easily addressed with a quick fix, so I may have to come back to it later. What I can do is make it not have the extra smoothing in the editor. Currently until I implement something of my own it seems the framework can't apply the exact type of filtering to image files as it does to the view.

ok thank you so the "problem" really exists ^^

What do you advise ??

I'm making the slow spriters animation first (the others will be made with traditional animation techniques) so I can test the game with characters in it.

I should stick to this and make the animations ? then when it will be "fixed" i will just have to re export the png and change them in my game ? (or use any implementation thing)

I hate having to do something over and over.

Thank you for your help.

HardcoreBadger, I would encourage you to use them as placeholder animations, or event just import a single frame and have an unanimated prototype. We will be engaging developers directly after 1.0 (should be getting very close to 1.0 by June). GameMaker is a very popular game engine, and so we will do what we can to make sure there's a working implementation. The idea would be that you could run the animations from scml directly in your game, and replace your Sprites with scml objects that would provide realtime playback, and thus the bug would be a nonissue