Bug and Crash Report Thread for Beta Pre-Release(3/25)

lucid

I just hit the stop recording button, because I thought, I won't get it to crash. Immediately after that, I created a new project in the same directory. The history was still there, so I clicked on the ""-entry and it crashed.

The "dragging an object onto the Z-order window"*-bug is guaranteed to trigger that kind of crash, though.

*Simply drag an object from the file palette to the Z-order window and then delete it.

Ok starting a new project in the same directory should clear the history automatically. Thank you. That one should be a simple fix, but the other one should have been cleared up by this update:

3/27/2013 - 18:18

Fixed a bug that left a 'ghost' object in the canvas if you dragged something through the canvas, and then tried to drop it in another window

If you're sure you're using the latest version, and it's still happening, let me know, and I'll look into it more

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the project files for my issue:

http://cl.ly/2I2r2e3p2f43/imp.zip

The animation still opens and saves no problem, it's just that it doesn't play back properly. When the playhead passes the mainLine key 2, sets the foot to it's at key 6. When the playhead reaches key2 of the foot, then it snaps back, and correctly begins to interpolate to key#3.

So basically, it's the foot timeline is tweening like this:

Main 1 > Main 2 > Main 3

Foot 1 > Foot 6 > Foot 2

It should be:

Foot 1 > Foot 2 > Foot 2

3/28/2013 - 17:27

[*:atdajtse]Fixed the bug described directly above in EsDotDev's post. Essentially in a certain specific situation, Spriter was saving s pointed to the wrong 'key'

also, @Pfaeff, I've got a question about the crashes. I couldn't get it to crash normally, but I did get it to 'hang' for a minute, where you get the spinning circle so it looks like it will crash. In itself this delay is a bug that needs to be fixed, but if I leave it alone for a minute, it won't crash, it'll eventually finish what it's doing, and be back to normal. However, if I continue trying to use the interface while it's like that and click around it will crash. Like I said, this needs to be fixed anyway, but knowing if that's what's happening to you will help me find out the problem anyway. Does it crash only after you click again? If not, when it crashes, is it pretty instant? Or does it usually hang first like it's freezing and then crash?

Great plugin an update!

This is a problem with the Construct 2 implementation. My guess is that it doesn't like the new individual timelines--I can use older SCML files that had every object changing on every keyframe and they work. But an object that has the legs move differently from the rest, for instance, the object positions glitch all over the place and the animation doesn't seem to play all the way through. I was also not having a finishing keyframe at the end of the loop (since it would just animated back to the origin point), but this seems to cause issues, too. There's a definite problem any time that an object is not referenced with a little dot on the starting keyframe of the animation. I hope an update can make it more flexible, and I can PM a zip of my file and objects if you need.

Please do email me a zip adam, and thanks for the bug report. Might take a little time to get to, as I've got my hands full with program bugs as well

3/28/2013 - 17:27

• [*:12l0dg0h]Fixed the bug described directly above in EsDotDev's post. Essentially in a certain specific situation, Spriter was saving s pointed to the wrong 'key'

also, @Pfaeff, I've got a question about the crashes. I couldn't get it to crash normally, but I did get it to 'hang' for a minute, where you get the spinning circle so it looks like it will crash. In itself this delay is a bug that needs to be fixed, but if I leave it alone for a minute, it won't crash. However, if I continue trying to use the interface and clicking it will crash. Like I said, this needs to be fixed anyway, but knowing if that's what's happening to you will help me find out the problem anyway. Does it crash only after you click again? If not, when it crashes, is it pretty instant, you try to do something and it crashes, or does it usually hang first like it's freezing and then crash?

I had situations where it would freeze first, but most of the time the crash window seems to appear pretty instantly. I also thought that the cause could be a general performance issue that leads to a short freeze that's somehow being misinterpreted by the operating system or something. That would explain why it crashes under so many different circumstances. I won't be able to do further testing until monday, though. If the cause of this is still unknown till then, I'll try to make another video.

3/29/2013 - 20:54

[*:26wlwc4g]Improved performance when dragging in timeline to change current time in animation
    [*:26wlwc4g]Fixed a bug that prevented the file palette from defaulting to being on top of the persistent object widget [*:26wlwc4g]Fixed a bug where starting a new project or loading a new one wouldn't clear the undo list, so undoing or clicking through history past the point when the new project was started, would lead to unusual behavior and/or crashes
    [*:26wlwc4g]Didn't notice it at the time, but the save fix a few updates back also fixed a problem where sometimes changing a sprites position/dimenstions/angle etc would sometimes also change the image the sprite used

Hey testers. Working on copy/paste code, and in the process, I'm going to refactor a few things dealing with timelines and references, which could clear up the remaining timeline bugs, and possibly the crash. In addition, I want to eliminate all usages of a certain part of Qt Framework that has a bug that's been the root of a few problems already, because the workarounds are adding up to more than the time cost of refactoring. Point is, probably no update versions next day or so, and then back to daily.

Hey guys. I haven't forgotten about the couple of days thing. Some things not directly related to Spriter in the real world have delayed me slightly, but there will be a new daily build later tonight or tomorrow. And for anyone else not downloading the dailies but following this thread, there will be another full pre-beta build (not the daily) later this week. For daily people you will essentially already have this version if you're up to date on the builds in this thread.

And for anyone else not downloading the dailies but following this thread, there will be another full pre-beta build (not the daily) later this week.

Will that include a Mac build? (I'm just curious - I'm not far along with my game yet to really start using Spriter yet. I'm still putting things together with placeholder graphics.)

yes Trumgottist. It will be a cross-platform release like the one from a week ago. These daily builds are Windows only because it's simple to just upload them as I'm completing fixes(my dev pc is windows), and we can get more testing done on the way to the full releases. Each time I complete something and build it, I'm already done, whereas the cross-platform releases take time to setup and build. But yes, the build for later this week will be version b1 for all platforms.

4/4/2013 - 3:59

Refactored 2 large portions of code. One to remove all usage of a part of Qt Framework that has a gamebreaker bug that had already required several bugfixes/workarounds to avoid related bugs and crashes. 2nd part was changing other code to be more consistent with these changes, which ended up being cleaner as well. It's possible the crash I couldn't reproduce was fixed in this refactoring process. - Please note that considering the amount of code that was changed, we haven't tested much(released this just as I got copy and paste working), so there's likely some new bugs in there that weren't before, but the code is much more sound without the workarounds, and new bugs aside, with the refactoring the timeline should behave alot less quirky now in general.
    other changes:
    [*:f767322o]Fixed several bugs in certain very specific situations of bone reparenting
    [*:f767322o]Added copy paste to the timeline (canvas copy paste coming soon as well)
    [*:f767322o]Several small performance optimizations
    [*:f767322o]Added the option to enable multi-threaded processing (Settings - Enable Multi-threading) - improves performance even further on multi-core systems

[edit] found a loading bug on certain projects, working on it[/edit]

Hello Lucid,

Here are a couple of issues I am facing. First though let me say thank you for the amount of work you have put in and the amount of changes and feature additions you have done! It's been an amazing work to watch progress. Here are some issues I have with the latest beta build:

1. If I take a timeline and scale it down Spriter drops some key frames and duplicates others. For example
    [*:4x1e0jq9] My run animation is 600ms with 5 key frames.
    [*:4x1e0jq9] I right click the timeline and go to animation properties
    [*:4x1e0jq9] I change the length to 400ms and select "Stretch Key Intervals to new animation length"
    [*:4x1e0jq9] Hit OK
    [*:4x1e0jq9] The resulting animation looks fine till it reaches the halfway point, at that point the next keyframes begin to duplicate from the beginning keyframes.
    [*:4x1e0jq9]Basically it just removes the last two key frames and inserts the first two in their place
    If you want I can provide a before and after scml for you to look at.

The other issue is that the first and last keyframe in the timeline are too close to the edge of the timeline bounding box. They are cutoff halfway making it hard to click or select them. Is there any way to adjust the margins on the timeline box to make it so the timelines do not bump right up against the edges? Also will scaling in the other direction be added? CTRL + Scrolling on the timeline allows me to adjust the zoom but only in one direction. You can't make the frame gaps/markers any larger than 40 frames apart.

Thanks again for all the hard work you have done! I am loving Spriter so far and already using it in my first production product even at this early stage. The new export as PNG option is amazing. Though it does negate all the benefits of the .scml animation.

4/5/2013 - 3:39

new bugs from refactoring fixed
    [*:2lkvxg7z]Fixed a bug with undoing animation or entity deletion where objects weren't being restored
    [*:2lkvxg7z]Fixed a bug where resizing animations wasn't scaling keyframe intervals correctly
    [*:2lkvxg7z]Disable part of the multi-threading (unfortunately the part that gave the most improvement). There was some issues with some Qt stuff I was using that isn't threadsafe, and causing weird issues. This feature will require a little research and some leisurely debugging to fix, and so I won't be touching it again until after 1.0 most likely(much more important things to work on until then). All the other optimizations are still in though, so even without multi-threading, at least there was still a decent boost in performance

If I take a timeline and scale it down Spriter drops some key frames and duplicates others. For example...

hi bluePhaze, thanks for the kind words. This was one of those issues with the new refactoring(as was the other fix above), and there will probably be more. Luckily these are all quick and easy to fix.

The other issue is that the first and last keyframe in the timeline are too close to the edge of the timeline bounding box. They are cutoff halfway making it hard to click or select them. Is there any way to adjust the margins on the timeline box to make it so the timelines do not bump right up against the edges?

Can work on this after the featureset is caught up, but I'll put it on the todo list.

Also will scaling in the other direction be added? CTRL + Scrolling on the timeline allows me to adjust the zoom but only in one direction. You can't make the frame gaps/markers any larger than 40 frames apart.

I thought I knew what you meant for a second (to be able to zoom vertically), but then you said, you can't make the gaps/markers any larger than 40 frames apart, and you lost me.

Thanks again, bluephaze, and all testers. Please report any bugs promptly for this new version, going to have another release this weekend. The next release will be quicker than this one was, as I'm not planning any more refactoring. From here, it's just fixing bugs, and adding features.

I just tried the latest version you posted and there is a crash that can be reproduced 100% of the time:

1. Add two or more objects to the (in my case empty) scene.

2. Select them

3. Delete them

Deleting single objects sometimes works, sometimes it crashes, too.

Another crash bug:

Deleting "empty" keyframes (keyframes, that don't have sub-keyframes for any object) also lead to crashes every time.

Further bugs:

1. If I create a second animation in my project, I can't add objects to it.

2. Sometimes, Spriter deletes the wrong keyframe (happens every time in this project):

wrongkeyframe.png

3. I attached a project that crashes everytime I try to delete the second keyframe.

4. Sometimes the gui doesn't react immediately. If one issues another task during that time, Spriter will crash.

keyframe_crash.zip

2. Sometimes, Spriter deletes the wrong keyframe (happens every time in this project):

I am experiencing the same issues, deleting keyframes seems to lead to a lot of oddness. And deleting objects from key frames seems to crash.

Deleting the first keyframe is especially problematic as it is hard to tell if it is really selected at times due to the bounding box issue, and then when you delete, other keyframes shift around... which makes it hard to tell if the first keyframe is the original, or if another has jumped to that spot due to deletions...

Note that in the images posted by Pfaeff that the keyframe header (the diamond) from the next keyframe has actually jumped to the position of the deleted keyframe, though the objects associated with it are still in there original spots. This makes deleting and then moving keyframes a bit of a mess....

Lucid, for the Zoom/Scale of the timeline, it would scale fine in one direction (Zooming in basically) so when I scale it one way, it goes from showing frame labels for 20, 40, 60, to showing them for 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, etc... but if I scale the other way, it only goes out far enough to get 40 frame increments. So I can scale out only to the point where the timeline shows 40, 80, 120, 160.... if I want to scale out farther to see a larger portion of my animation it did not seem to want to go higher than that. So if I want it to scale out to the point where the timeline shows labels for 100, 200, 300, etc... I wasn't able to scale out that far. I have now realized that this is due to the length of the timeline for the animation. If the animation is 600ms, then the timeline scaling stops at the point where the whole 600ms is shown, which ends up being labeled in 40 frame increments. If I make it longer, say 2000ms then I can scale it out more and see larger sections of the animation as I wanted. So this one was all me. Thanks though for responding!

In my current project file, deleting a bone makes it freeze. It takes a long time until a message pops up (if at all), so this is different from the other crashes. Most of the time, I have to use the task manager to kill the process. Here is my project file.

I have another issue, where there are keyframes for certain objects that were autogenerated and that reappear if I try to delete them. Here is the project file (this time without the graphics). The object for which this happens is "sword2". That weird animation was somehow autogenerated and I can't remove the corresponding keyframes. I think the cause has something to do with the fact, that I changed the order of the objects after I already had animated frames. There should be a way to do that so that it'll propagate the change through all keyframes instead of autocreating frames that do weird stuff and that you can't get rid of :).

got it bluephaze. Though, I need to rewrite the algorithm for deciding how many numbered tickmarks should be shown, because in certain zoom/length combinations they're way too spaced apart.

Thanks for all the bug reports both of you btw. What a mess :).

I'll get on those tonight. Btw, I need to add some type of visual feedback as well as a tutorial explaining it, but in the previous version that didn't allow multiple timelines, bone reparenting just worked. It's a complex thing that's going on, and there are certain keyframes that are just required for it to work correctly. I could make it so they weren't there on screen, but visually what you would be seeing would be the result of these phantom keyframes. That's why certain things can't be deleted, and why they suddenly appear. For instance, if you have a bone on one frame with a child, and on the next frame it's gone but the child isn't, it's going to tween the child from the parented location to unparented one, so this second location is needed so it has somewhere to tween to.

It's possible there are bugs in deciding which keyframes are mandatory, but either way there should be visual feedback like some type of highlight or something to let you know why your deletion isn't working or why one was created. Maybe show the keyframe as just an outline if it's only there for bone reparenting, and make it disappear if no longer needed. Also, yes, I definitely want to add a way to make changes to or add an object to every keyframe at one time, which would eliminate some of the confusion, when you're trying to add an object to frames one at a time and come across this. Actually I can make it just treat the tweened location as this mandatory key, and it would just behave as you would expect with no keyframes. I'll do it that way, but going to flesh out some more basic features first, then it will just behave with reparenting like the previous version with no extra weirdness. Oh, and btw, looking at the bug reports, the weirdness where it leaves that mainline (diamond) key behind, and shifts another one isn't what I mean, that is indeed a bug.

And lastly, I'll have to test again, but it's possible that dragging a bone from the object palette isn't working at the moment, so that's my bug report for today.

In any case will get right on these bug fixes. Again, I will not be doing any large scale refactoring from here on out, so as soon as we clean up this recently created mess, features will be appearing at blinding speed. I seriously can't wait to start adding the remaining features after all this boring refactoring.

So in my case, I changed the order of my objects in the first frame (the sword was in the wrong place). That is why the program created additional keyframes, so that the order would be consistent at other places in the animation? It would be cool, if that could somehow be ignored, so I can force this new order (and other changes like new objects) unto all existing keyframes.

The problem with the automically created keyframes is, that they seem to have strange values, resulting in a messy animation, where no animation was intended at all.

4/6/2013 - 6:14

new bugs from refactoring fixed
    [*:1v4rtdw5]Fixed a crash when deleting keys
    [*:1v4rtdw5]Fixed a crash when deleting objects
    [*:1v4rtdw5]Fixed several bugs when deleting keys resulting in strange behavior
    [*:1v4rtdw5]Fixed a bug when deleting objects where it looked like the objects weren't deleted

Pfaeff, the autocreated keys should never affect the animation visually, so if it changes the animation at all and how it flows it's a bug. The bugs you two reported (thanks for being thorough by the way, really made finding/reproducing the bugs really quick) involved alot of instances where I hadn't changed things to the new refactored way of indexing keyframes and objects, so in short, it would have caused all types of strange behavior. Please let me know if the weird movement thing with the autogenerated keys happens with this new version.

4/7/2013 - 17:04

[*:2qaw05cx]Spriter now remembers last accessed folder, and uses it as the starting point for the file dialog when opening a project or starting a new one
    [*:2qaw05cx]Spriter now keeps a recent projects list accessible from the file menu
    [*:2qaw05cx]Spriter now remembers your multi-threading setting. Going to disable multi-threading for now until after 1.0 anyway though. I really want to spend some more time ensuring everything is thread safe so people won't get random crashes or strange nonsense from something I missed. I'll remove the option next build I upload, but I need to know that bugs aren't caused by that before I go hunting them down, so please test for bugs with multi-threading off.
    [*:2qaw05cx]Added activation dialog for entering serial keys to activate pro version. There are no pro features available and you don't have your serial numbers yet, but you can look at it under the help menu, and type in wrong codes and watch it reject them
    [*:2qaw05cx]Added object properties window. There are two known issues with this I'll be trying to correct in time for tonight, and if not this build will be one day late, but if you find something else please let me know. First is that scale values reset to 0 after any editing. This is the correct behavior for a multi-selection, but for a single selected object it should always display the correct scale. The second issue is that it doesn't work correctly for a multi-selection that includes bones and a mix of children of that bone and non-children of that bone.

Cutting and pasting is a bit iffy... If I clone an animation it brings over all objects and keyframes. But if I select canvas or keyframes and copy them, it will allow me to paste them into a new animation in my project, but the objects in the keyframes disappear after a second or so.

I found this out because I was trying to create a new animation, and wanted to grab a keyframe from an existing animation in the same project as the starting point. I created the animation, pasted in the keyframe, then proceeded to watch as my objects appeared, and then disappeared immediately after.

To try and work around this I tried to clone an animation, and then just delete the additional keyframes I did not need. However, as per the previous bug, deleting the keyframes/objects caused Spriter to crash multiple times.

I am assuming until the next fix is up, I will need to just add new animations and then drag objects back out from the pallet again. And start from scratch for each one.

Thanks for all the fixes this week, they have helped me to get a lot further in my work. I do have some questions around bringing .SCML into Construct 2, just not sure if you would prefer I ask them here or in the Construct 2 thread you have for the plugin, etc...

Thanks again,

James