Rotation AntiAlias Problem

rIKmAN

Firstly, great program - it really helps programmer types like me get some decent animations with little skill.

I am having problems with jagged edges when rotating any sprites attached to my rig, and it looks terrible.

I have searched the forum and found that this is a known issue, and that you say it is fixed in the next update which is coming soon.

The posts I saw were dated Jan 24th, so I was wondering how soon is the next release looking?

Is there any chance of you issuing a hotfix for this issue specifically, as right now it makes the program unusable in terms of creating anything with it.

Keep up the good work, it's already a powerful little tool, and with some work could be a must-buy! :)

Thanks much for the kind words, rIKmAN.

You'll be happy to know this issue with anti-aliasing is fixed in the new build...but we can't say exactly how soon it will be released. Also, Edgar is putting every second he can work into getting the new build out, so won't likely be able to hot fix the current build as it will only slow down the release of this new, much better, and very overdue build.

Thanks for your patience.

-Mike at BrashMonkey

Hi mate,

Is there any chance of a VERY rough timescale...weeks, months?

I'm sure you are apprehensive to give a timescale, but I'm also sure you understand that I'm in a situation where I can't really sit waiting for an unknown amount of time for these issues to be fixed in the new build - my project could be in limbo for ??? and I cannot plan around an unknown.

Also I have noticed that in the demo files (monster, hero, boned) there does not seem to be any of anti-alias and jagged edge problems on any on the models, even when rotated, and I'm wondering how you are doing it.

Were they built with an updated version of Spriter later than the public 4.1a?

Hi again rIKmAN,

You are right, due to the situation and our recent experience with gravely missing estimates, we are very reluctant to give any estimate at all. I can say that Edgar spends every hour he can to get this new build ready for release asap.

I used the current build (same as the one you are using) to make all those example files. I might be using higher resolution (bigger) PNG files for the body parts...nothing else could explain why it looks smoother than your stuff inside Spriter...but the real issue is while exporting to PNG...

If you absoultely must produce final animations asap the only suggestion I have is to create the animations with art at least 2x the size of the final game art, then reduce the frames using a batch process with a program like photoshop. The reduction will clean up the jaggies really nicely.

If you just don't want to wait for the next release, Can't you just create all the animations in Spriter and export them all once you have the new build? You can even export jaggy ones for now to use as placeholder art and then replace them all in one go once the new Spriter release is out.

Anyway...Edgar is back and will make a post in a matter of hours...keep an eye out as it will give you better insight as to how close this release is.

thanks again, and sorry for the delay,

Mike at BrashMonkey

Hey Brash,

I have had a discussion on another forum with therevilles who wrote the Monkey importer, as his demos were not showing any jagged and were smooth as silk.

Anyway it turns out that even though the images distort inside Spriter, once the file is loaded using the importer they appear perfectly in game. :)

I didn't get that far when testing as when the images were becoming jaggy in Spriter I assumed that anything exported would be too, so didn't actually test it in game - my bad.

So while its not ideal, especially when making small adjustments as the jaggies / distortion makes objects appear to wobble and move, and you can't quite tell if the allignment is off or if it's the aliasing, it's not as bad as I first thought knowing they can be used in game without looking so bad.

Looking forward to the new release, like I said it's a great tool with a lot of potential, if you can just clean up all the little niggles and some bigger ones like the jaggy edges and it is something I will be buying and using a lot.

Hi Brash,

Yeah I didn't realise at first it was just a display issue in Spriter, as I say I thought Spriter was ruining the images, making it useless for creating anything.

Not a big issue now I know it's doing nothing of the sort, and any alignment problems that occur I can go back and tweak once it's fixed.

Looking forward to the new version. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi,

While working on a project a couple of days ago, I have noticed that one or two keyframes/PNG's are distorted with additional anti aliasing. Especially the sprites which are heavily rotated.

Is there a reason for this? Should I pay attention to something that I'm missing already or is this the continuation of a known problem?

BTW, I am using the latest version of Spriter PRO.

Thanks,