Spriter on Steam's Greenlight

Tapewormz

Can you add this to Greenlight on Steam? They take submissions of applications now, and there's some game development tools on Steam (ie. Game Maker Studio). I'll vote it up if you do.

ps. I really want to commit to Spriter, but the release date keeps getting bumped. Also, I'm worried that there may not be a dll for GMS or DBP.

Just out of curiosity. Why does it need to be on Steam? you should be able to buy it anyways. I did :)

Also I am hoping for a GMS plugin myself

Exposure for the product and the developer would be the most obvious reasons. More money, means more development I would think. It would also get people who might not have heard of Spriter, excited about it. It's a really good software aggregate.

These guys need to focus on finishing version 1.0 before thinking about expanding the team and marketing the hell out of the program. They got quite a good chunk of money from Kickstarter and no doubt a good bit more from sales on this website (my money included). The program isn't even in a Beta state, it doesn't make sense to put effort into anything other than finishing the features they set to deliver.

Well.... what is Tesco?

I'm all up for more exposure, but the understanding of the question seemed more like

A. "Sprite needs to be on steam before I buy it"

and not

B. "Sprite should be on steam"

Now I can admit to misunderstanding the statement, but I personally thought the context was A rather than B.

Well.... what is Tesco?

I'm all up for more exposure, but the understanding of the question seemed more like

A. "Sprite needs to be on steam before I buy it"

and not

B. "Sprite should be on steam"

Now I can admit to misunderstanding the statement, but I personally thought the context was A rather than B.

No where did I say I wouldn't buy this product if it wasn't on Steam. No where did I say it SHOULD be on Steam. I asked if they could submit Spriter to the Greenlight program. ie. "Can you".

I was just suggesting that he take advantage of Valve's Greenlight to generate more exposure. The product according to the website should be ready by the end of march. It doesn't have to be out of beta or even alpha to be on Greenlight, and by no means would it impact the development schedule of the product.

I wouldn't have known about Spriter if it wasn't for one of my friends. So exposure is important. Being able to vote for something and then favorite it on Steam means that all my friends can see what I voted for. If they vote for it, their friends can see too. It's easy to do and it only costs Brashmonkey $100 to submit Spriter to the program. That's cheap advertising.

I'm not here to troll, I'm genuinely interested in this project and I will purchase it. My only real concern at this point is whether or not it'll work in Dark Basic Professional and Game Maker Studio Professional after it's released and will there be support going forward? If it's left up to 3rd party to support that, my fear will be that I'll have to pay someone else for their dll, and hope that they stick around to support it there after. I mean without that kind of support, Spriter would become some what useless to me as I'm not able to make my own plugins for these two pieces of software... and that is by no means a threat, so don't take it as such.

Spriter is a development tool that stands to gain very little from Steam sales. If it appealed to a broader audience, maybe as a Flash alternative for full length cartoon production, it would stand to attract a larger crowd, but Spriter is not meant for that purpose.

Also, Steam's software category is fairly new and not a lot of utilities are making their way through Greenlight. Most of what's popular are 3D modeling apps (Silo) and game development suites (Game Maker, Construct, RPG Maker). Casual users of those tools will not be as interested in Spriter as we are. They buy tools like Game Maker on Steam because they are new to game development and think it would make a good hobby... or just want Steam to give them all their apps in one place. :lol:

• 8 years later...