Suggestions for Spriter

kaktuzlime

Hello guys, I really like where you're going with this program, it's amazing! VanillaWare beware XD. That said, in my attempts to animate I've come across a few things which I feel could be improved upon to future versions. I'm using MAC OSX, on my 17' macbook pro. I've tried to animate an undead soldier type character, here's a quick screenshot. I am a n00b, so please excuse my probable stupidity :)

ScreenShot2012-11-15at10748PM-1.jpg

- Sometimes when I use ctrl+z individual sprites are seemingly randomly repositioned

- Sometimes using ctrl+z, a frame seems to get added before the frame I'm working on.

- Could we have an option to change the timeline to frames instead? I'm used to thinking in frames (24 fps) , and with 1000 ms, I occasionally add a frame by mistake, one or two frames before or after the frame I intended to select.

- When exporting to png, I can't seem to find how to zoom in and out, is it possible to do so? I made my original sprite, fully assembled, big enough to fit in a 1024x1024 frame, perhaps it is too big? It doesn't fit in the frame provided.

- An menu to open a recently opened project, instead of having to browse every time.

- When I press play inside spriter, the animation is very choppy. It's smooth when I simply pull the timeline indicator, but I would like it to play smoothly when I've pressed play too. Perhaps my sprites are too big?

Thank you for making this software!!

hi kaktuzlime,

awesome looking character indeed. those are known bugs, and should be fixed in an upcoming version. also the upcoming version is using an updated core which is much more efficient, especially for bone animations. Planning on expanding export to PNG to be more flexible, but for now there is no way to zoom in or out. If your target platform doesn't already have direct Spriter support, it's the better option compared to png based animation. This would recreate the animation in realtime, the way Spriter does it, so the animation could be unlimited tweened frames, instead of limited to the number of pngs. After this month, will be making a concerted effort to go an touch base with all major engines that don't already support Spriter offering help, and encouraging the community to get started. Which platform are you developing for?

Thanks for the interest

@ XtraTrstrL- Thank you, too kind, too kind :)

@ Lucid - Thank you for your reply, and kind compliment :) You ma-ma-make me happy ;P There's such potential with this software, I look forward to seeing it bloom! :D Currently I'm more creating a proof of concept, not really trying to put my animations into an engine. I've worked in unity before, and that seems like the probable candidate if I ever have the opportunity of taking this project into some sort of official production. As far as I recall, Spriter already has support for that. I suppose a flexible PNG export would be useful merely as a quick showcase tool, just cranking out the frames into photoshop and making a gif, something to show people etc. I'm not very technically oriented :)

Thanks BrashAdmin! :D perhaps I'll have to change the title of this thread eventually, when I start getting things produced. I'm eagerly anticipating the next update ;p

Ummm, I made a mockup, like a vision thing, yeah. I'm thinking of using spriter to bring it all together. I'm a fairly n00bish animator though, but what better way to learn than loads of failing, eh?

JHelgesonSwordBladeMockup1-1.jpg