Spriter A4 Release!

lucid

spriter_logosFINALnormal.png

Sorry we're late!

Well, added the bulk of remaining time-consuming features in this build, and also made great strides towards full stability. Without further ado:

Spriter a4 Changelog!

misc:

[*:2y7na3k3] general refactoring for stability and performance
    [*:2y7na3k3]Added Undo/Redo system with corresponding Undo History widget
    [*:2y7na3k3] added cut to cut/copy/paste
    [*:2y7na3k3] persistent object names now changeable from the persistent object palette or bone hierarchy window, and will be saved with file for access at gametime

timeline:

[*:2y7na3k3] if a single keyframe is selected, the time can now be adjusted through spinbox
    [*:2y7na3k3]new look to larger timeline handle which will be universally pointy shaped across OS's
    [*:2y7na3k3]time labels for keyframes
    [*:2y7na3k3] mousewheel now zooms in timeline
    [*:2y7na3k3]added ruler to timeline
    [*:2y7na3k3]add current time indicator to timeline, click to adjust current time by spinbox
    [*:2y7na3k3]multiselected keys now drag, copy, and paste correctly
    [*:2y7na3k3] hold alt and drag the rightmost or leftmost selected key to scale the intervals between them
    [*:2y7na3k3]hold shift click to select a range of keys

file i/o:

[*:2y7na3k3]new, save, load, save as all enabled after a file is loaded. New incremental save will save your file to a new incremental filename
    [*:2y7na3k3] load, new, save, save incremental all enabled even with a currently active project now
    [*:2y7na3k3]save, new, and load, and close program all tied to undo system so it verifies if you want to save changes
    [*:2y7na3k3]added incremental save, using intelligent logic, so it will recognize incremented filenames (save increment will save a file 'hello.scml' to 'hello_000.scml', and the next time to 'hello_001.scml', etc). will also recognize and continuea an increment so if you load hello_001.scml, it will increment to hello_002.scml, instead of hello_001_000.scml

animations:

[*:2y7na3k3] added clone animation
    [*:2y7na3k3] spriter now forces animations to have unique names, and manages the incremental naming of animations using the same logic as incremental save

canvas:

[*:2y7na3k3] added canvas zoom and mouse position indicators and controls to the status bar
    decreased the minimum zoom amount from 50% to 5%
    [*:2y7na3k3] holding space when left clicking the background in the canvas now allows you to scroll in the view
    [*:2y7na3k3] arrow keys in canvas view nudge selected objects 1 pixel in whichever direction
    [*:2y7na3k3] added onion skinning. To control the range of the onion skinning, just right click and drag to the left or right of the time handle in the timeline
    [*:2y7na3k3] added new canvas toolbar for locking and hiding sprites and/or bones and setting the image source for the right click image strip
    [*:2y7na3k3] new alternate source for the image selector while holding rightclick over a sprite. either current object's other images from other frames, or the other images from original file folder

transform controls:

[*:2y7na3k3]works with new bone system to hide controls when an invalid transformation combination is selected, like several bones and sprites from different hierarchies
    [*:2y7na3k3] added clearer indicators of resize and angle
    [*:2y7na3k3] added hold shift to constrain proportions

bones:

[*:2y7na3k3] We'll be releasing a video showing how to use our bones system, which is made to be the most flexible, powerful, and easy to use 2d bone system. Our bones system has no requirements for where bones connect to eachother. There are on demand, context menu controlled ik and constraint features, but these are merely tools to help you animate more easily.
    [*:2y7na3k3] You are not tied at all to a rigid skeleton. Offset bones from eachother in any way at any time. And our dynamic skeletal restructuring allows you to do simple things like a character removing his hat, where the hat changes parentage from the head bone to the hand bone, to crazy characters who grow extra limbs, or take off their own arms, or pull out cartoony gadgets on a whim. Add, remove, reparent, deparent, or even remove the skeleton altogether at any keyframe, and Spriter will behave as if nothing's amiss.
    [*:2y7na3k3] What's more, Spriter will save skeletal alterations from multiple frames of reference in such a way that the implementation developer doesn't need to do anything for it to work. They don't have to understand it, as any basic bone implementation will automatically support it if it follows the basic scml file rules, and it will require no additional processing power from a straightforward bone system. It's a new and simple way of using bones, and we'll have some videos soon showing the awesome system in action and explaining how to use it as soon as possible

fixes:

[*:2y7na3k3] fixed a crash when initiating an Export to Png while current time was set between frames.
    [*:2y7na3k3] fixed status bar to update upon completion of Export to Png
    [*:2y7na3k3] fixed the bug in the object info drop down list where editing spinbox numbers with keyboard resulted in strange behavior
    [*:2y7na3k3]fixed a ton of bugs dealing with sprites shifting, jittering, or otherwise misbehaving when dragging and dropping, or changing pivotpoints in many situations
    [*:2y7na3k3] fixed a bug when pasting keys where persistent objects were not always correctly tweening after pasting a key
    [*:2y7na3k3] new timeline fixes once and for all the bug where the handle wasn't always perfectly aligned with the keyframes when resized to certain lengths
    [*:2y7na3k3] fixed copy paste of multiple objects so relative zorder is maintained in the paste
    [*:2y7na3k3] fixed copy paste of multiple keys so first key is pasted at the current time
    [*:2y7na3k3]fixed a bug in the properties pane where if an object was selected the angle spinbox would display 0 while adjusting the angle dial
    [*:2y7na3k3]fixed the behavior of clicking the background of the timeline view, so deselection or set current time behavior is determined by where you click
    [*:2y7na3k3] fixed a z-ordering bug where objects were getting reset to the origin after dragging in objects in frame list.
    [*:2y7na3k3] fixed a bug where the character would display incorrectly for an instant the first time you dragged the current time between two keys

mac specific fixes:

[*:2y7na3k3]fixed a mac only file corruption bug when cloning animations
    [*:2y7na3k3] changed from opengl rendering which fixes graphical bugs on certain macs where graphics would appear jumbled
    [*:2y7na3k3]fixed graphical ui bugs on mac where certain parts of docking widgets were transparent

This should be the last large gap between releases. Thanks again for your patience everyone. Alot more coming down the pipe as well, we're just getting started.

Windows

Mac

Linux

Thank you all so much for your support and patience. We're not trieng to just get Spriter done fast, We're trying to get it done right. Once there's new tutorial videos, documentation and examples we hope it will be obvious how important it is to us to not copy previous animations programs, but to make every aspect of our tool more flexible and great for work flow.

Mike at BrashMonkey

has anyone figured out how to place bones yet? I know tutorials will be coming out soon, but i'm already trying to sort it out..haha. let me know if you get it sorted out!

To quote Edgar from the Facebook page:

"alt click and drag out to make a new bone, currently selected bone will be used as the parent for new added sprites and bones. you can edit parentage with the new hierarchy window (mostly self explanatory), or the reparent mode (fun, but not as simple to figure out with being shown). holding shift while changing bone angles uses 2 joint ik, and hold right click and release on the proper control to use constraints on child bones. again, if it's confusing, it'll make much more sense after a video. makes it very fast to do alot with little effort"

The reparent mode is entered by pressing the R key. Exit that mode the same way, by pressing "R". In this mode you can reposition bones and by clicking and dragging from sprites to the blue circles on bones you can assign those Sprites to those bones. You can also assign child bones to parent bones this way. It take a bit to get used to, and the video will make it much easier to pick up right from the get-go.

cheers,

Mike at BrashMonkey

hi guys. Apparently I don't understand how to compress videos because it took hours to compress, and it's still a huge file. it's uploading now, and should be ready for tomorrow morning, along with a hotfix fixing a few issues I found while creating the video

This version is awesome! But i have a question. I didnt use Spriter in action(in client code) yet, but i want to know - can i change sprite attached to bone on the fly? For example if i have a boy with hat on the head(from your tutorial) and i want to change hat sprite in my code on any other hat sprite. IS it possible?

yes, you can both change that in the animation with Spriter, including having multiple moving and/or image swapping sprites per bone, and of course at runtime, you can do pretty much whatever you put into your implementation. Being able to name sprites (one name for the sprite object, even if the image changes), makes it easier to do this at game time, so if you're using several swapping images for the "hat", at gametime you can just look for the object named "hat" instead of each individual file.

Good job on the editor! I wonder if you're planning on adding smooth skinning support at some point so that we could attach (different parts of) a single sprite to multiple joints and be able to twist sprites.. if you know what I mean. :) Creating truly dynamic looking 2D animations is pretty challenging and time consuming without smooth skinning. Things tend to look a little rigid.

Thanks projektori.

Yes, we do plan to add that, but that will probably come some time in 2013. 1.0 is estimated for late December, and basic procedural animation features will most likely be implemented before that as well. In any case, it's coming, but not in the short term.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...