Please suggest animations for the game effects art pack!

Hi everyone,

We're hard at work on a Spriter art pack which will be loaded all kinds of explosions, magic effects, energy projectiles, impact effects, pick-ups and grab effects etc.

You can catch a sneak peek in the first part of this video:

Please keep in mind, what you are seeing in the video are only key-frame animations..the final versions will look much smoother.

Please post suggestions for effects or objects you'd like to see in this art-pack. Ideally, post links to videos or images of the type of thing you're speaking of for clear reference.

thanks,

Mike@BrashMonkey

While I would use my own art in a final product, having a library of mockup graphics is great for motivation and testing so I really like this library.

I would like to see various materials in broken components. Wood splinters, rock fragments, water/blood splatter etc.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I would like some surreal art packs that can fit into many game types. So not obviously sc-ifi or medieval, but more generic stuff.

So, what cost range are the art packs to be?

Very glad there are to be some, as although I am an artist art takes time I could just be coding more things in, so if I can use art packs that is good news.

Are the art packs royalty free once purchased even for use commercially ?

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@Silverwolf,

The effects art pack is generic in that it can be used with any kind of game.. Other art packs will be more genre specific, but still quite flexible...any third party artist is also welcome to create additional animations to sell or give freely which works with our firsat party art packs...but of course can not simply slightly alter and then redestribute our art packs...they can only sell and distrubite original content.

For the people who purchase our artpacks, they will be able to use the content for any number of games, motion comics, or other "

media" they want to make with them, but of course can not redistribute the art packs them selves to anyone for reuse as artpacks. ;)

We haven't decided the cost of art packs yet, and the price will vary per art pack, as some will be more complex to make and have more content...but they will certianly be pennies on the dollar as compared to hiring professional artists to make custom animation sets for you. ;)

cheers,

Mike at BrashMonkey

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone!

EDIT: just realized I went almost totally out of context: these are art pack suggestions only, not specifically about effects, but I think that different types of character design are those that may influence different types of animated effects too, so here are my general suggestions (which you may have already thought about I'm sure;)

A quick context:

For my first game prototype in Scirra's Construct 2, I planned to create my graphics myself, and I'm working on them right now.

When I sat down to make my first trees (although I do some graphic design, I never had the opportunity to design trees, and many other things too,) I wanted to see what was already available; I found only horrible graphics! Some users were very happy with graphics that looked really very bad to me (generated by a software made especially for creating somekind of animated trees, sorry I don't remember the name.)

For this reason, I would like to suggest that you make background art packs: maybe 4 types of trees, some types of skies & cloud styles (with variations: day, night, sunset etc,) background elements: tile sets! It would really upgrade the visual aspect of games made by beginners, or help beginners learn game making software while being very motivated by already available graphics.

In the case of Construct 2, I think an art shop is there on Scirra but maybe the focus is totally on the programming part for Ashley and Tom, and since Spriter is targeting art packs, so art packs by Brashmonkey can be awesome once Spriter 1.0 (or 1.1?) is ready.

One concern I have though is that a lot of games would end up looking the same if some packs become popular, so a possible solution I imagine is that those art packs are made very modular and customizable. For example free versions can be limited in the number of objects offered, and paid art packs would contain modular variety that allows the user to create something fairly different from what another person would make with the same art pack.

In my situation, I would be very interested to try and make art packs for characters (they can be the hard part, because characters are so easily recognizable, so they need a lot of modularity to be made unique from a game to another, one idea I have about that is offering different types of body proportions: chibi, normal, super tall etc, different types of moves with different animation styles compatible with different character design styles too. Examples of modularity: lots of haircut styles / faces / eyes, and of course the clothes, suites and other types of armors, oh and vehicles! Weapons and tools etc, all the obvious elements... Maybe starting with basic video game types of characters can be a good choice: princesses, knights, magicians, villains, modular bosses etc. An example: after I finish my first game prototype, which is a very simple runner game, I intend to make a running knight game that has to attack enemies instead of just jumping over platforms.

But the fact that I need to create my first games alone really limits my available time for graphic design, not to mention that I will create my own music too. In any case I think this is a fantastic approach by Brashmonkey and I would love to contribute as well when I find the opportunity!