Please suggest animations for the basic Platformer art pack!

Hi Everyone,

We're hard at work on a basic platformer game animation art pack. You can catch a sneak peak toward the end of this video:

Keep in mind, the animations you see are only key frame and are not yet tweened, so final animations will be much smoother.

Also remember, any character in an art pack will have char-maps using alternate art..which will allow for a large variety of visual styles, and other artists can create alternate image packs that can work with these art packs, so the variety of possible visual styles is limitless.. Take the giant head-size you see on the characters in this video for example...there will be alternate art that can be swapped out for normal head-sizes as well.

So, here's your chance to have influence on the types of things and animations end up in the art pack.

For now we know for sure there will be:

Player:

idle

walk

run

balance check at edge of platform

hand from edge of platform

pull up from edge of platform

hard stomp attack

block

dash

jump

fall

get hit (variation 1)

get hit (variation 2)

basic death (generic)

throw projectile

get bumped back

duck

crawl

slide

flip in the air

slide down wall (for wall jumping)

jump from wall

basic (turtle-like) enemy: (several variations)

idle

walk

get hit

die

respawn

flying variation of basic (turtle-like enemy)

fly

respawn

get hit

die

Big "humanoid-ish" boss (several variations)

idle (looking angry)

walk

jump

fall

land

breath fire (or shoot beams)

get hit (variation 1)

get hit (variation 2)

die

laugh tauntingly

ape-like display of anger (chest beating)

hopping basic enemy:

idle (going to hop)

hop

fall

get hit (variation 1)

get hit (variation 2)

die

Please suggest the ones you'd like to see, and if possible like to vids of screenshots of examples of what you're talking about in existing games.

cheers,

Mike@Brashmonkey

I've got a few animations I'd like to suggest. Sorry for the lack of vids to screen caps, I'll make and post a link later.

Player:

hanging one hand - similar to the NES game "Darkwing Duck".

hanging two handed

underneath platform swinging - like you would on monkey bars.

swinging (rope)

swimming (normal, fast) - similar to "Donkey Kong"

floating

riding/driving (bikes, cars, steeds)

sleeping (standing, laying)

effects:

freezing over - as in block/s of ice forming around a target

frost cloud

lightning

explosion - similar to Gunstar Super Heroes

sparkle

poison cloud

Some sprites that would be helpful for me are various kinds of bricks, similar to what are shown in the video, but animating into destruction by different types of weapon blasts. E.g. crumbling when hit by a sword over multiple iterations, or hit by an explosive, or an ice blast or lightning (as blazah99 suggested).

Along the same lines, it would be awesome if a subset of the frames in the art pack are provided in a vector format so we can better target different resolutions.

Thanks,

• 2 weeks later...

Some more ideas/suggestions for you guys to use for the pack, most of which I thought might take a bit of time for an animator(isn't one).

Player:

360 spin/twirl(on one foot, arms out/in)

360 spin/twirl(on two feet, arms out/in) - like you if spinning a platform standing in the center

back hand spring - can't think of a good ninja example so a real life video example

Effects:

rain - perhaps something similar to Super Mario World, Limbo, Patapon 3

, or etc

waterfall

water surface - perhaps similar to Metal Slug

(might also pass for slight fog)

wind

small partials/w dissipation (splash, dust, embers, foliage) - Patapon 3(a previous link) or Limbo

light debris fall(snow, foliage)

bubble/s/w pop(underwater, surface)

whirl pool/swirl(wind, water, sand, portal, galaxy) - perhaps similar to that of an eye of a hurricane

tornado/twister/vortex

drill

fan/propeller/windmill

explosions - similar to Metal Warriors

, Metal Slug(a previous link), and Metal Storm

shard explosion(glass, crystal, shrapnel)

flame - similar to the on a match or stove.

plasma shots - similar to Mega Man X

plasma shots - similar to Metal Storm (a previous link, 2m10s)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I would really like to see some weighted feeling animations. I really dont want to see some generic sword swings that look like they are from a cartoon. Want to see sword swings that feel weighted. Like the walk cycles are weighted to the heavy armor that the character is wearing. And different weapon types like battle axes, long swords, bows, light swords like fencing swords, shields, or using whips like castlevania. I would really like a lot of magic spells. Maybe some evading rolls, sliding, attacking upper torsos and lower torsos. Maybe some animation for throwing objects like knives, boomerangs and what it would be like to catch it when it returns. I would really like to see fabric animations for the character movements like capes/hoods and other types of clothing. Animations for drawing weapons. Say the weapon is in a scabbard on the characters back or on its lower belt on it side. Animation showing the character pull the different weapon types out and putting them in the attack stance.

As for non medieval:

-Maybe different futuristic weapon types such as plasma/laser type weapons metroid/megaman style. And weapon recoil. Bullet trails and cartridges falling.

-Vehicles: Tire rotations, Not just a turning circle but how it appears as it moves faster. Afterburners for jets and futuristic drops ships.

- Things like fire, smoke, and explosions. Particles are not always the best solutions.

- Facial animations for talking.

- Characters movements for expression while talking like hand gesture and pointing, looking different directions. Even gestures for eating and drinking. Would be nice to making cutscenes.

- Gestures for 4 legged creatures like walk/run cycles for horses, wolves, dogs, cats, bird etc. Could just be part of a giant animal pack.

- Character movements for swinging on vines and climbing latter from the side front and back.

• 2 months later...

Hi blazah99,

No update yet, My dayjob has been eating up most of my time, so while I've been making some progress with the first two art packs, I've not yet had time to work out a percise list of what will be in the art packs upon their initial release (hopefully in sync with the release of Spriter 1.0), but I can say I do plan to continue to add to them after their initial release. And all future additions to any artpack will be free to the people who purchased them.

I'll make a list when it is almost time for the release.

cheers,

Mike at BrashMonkey

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

@ 3y3.net,

Dancing animations would be fun but are so specialized that it wouldn't make sense for me invest the time to make animations that the vast majority of people wouldn't use, or if they did, they would want them distinct from the other games that use it..

@ ChrisAlgoo

Do you have some example footage or images for the type of spell-casting you have in mind? (what posture, what movement etc)

Talking is a great idea, as well as laughing and other emotive gestures/postures... taunting gets a little trickier as it would really depend a lot on the desired personality of the player and there's potentially countless variations of taunting someone might want...not as mad in that sense as dancing, but same idea.

cheers,

Mike at BrashMonkey

• 4 weeks later...

Hi mediadi,

Thanks for supporting our efforts with your purchases and kind words! Great suggestions. I't's likely going to be quite a while before I have the time to add new animations though (possibly a couple of months :( )...but when I do, those will be the first two I'll add.

Cheers,

Mike at BrashMonkey

• 5 months later...

a simple dance for each character is useful. a lot of fb games have characters that do a dance if some stage is completed. in Farmville 2 everything is danced to, dancing cows is amusing. its an alternative to a shake of the fist or a kick as a physical celebration.

• 1 year later...
11 hours ago, Allmarkmade said:

Top-down view characters and assets would be great.

Thanks

This pack is finished, and this is for typical 2d side view platformer games. It's unlikely we'll ever make an art pack for completely 100 percent top view characters as it has very limited visual appeal an not many people use that perspective.  We did however just release the RPG Heroes art pack..did you see that?

Cheers,
-Mike at BrashMonkey

• 7 years later...

Sure! Here are some animation suggestions for the basic Platformer art pack:

1. Idle Animation: Create a subtle breathing or idle animation for the character to give it a sense of life even when it's not moving. This can involve slight movement of the character's limbs or body.2. Walking Animation: Design a walking animation where the character takes steps forward. This can include moving the legs, swinging the arms, and animating the character's hair or clothing to add more dynamism.

3. Jumping Animation: Develop an animation that shows the character jumping off the ground. This would involve bending the knees, propelling upward, and possibly animating the character's hair or clothing to emphasize the motion.

4. Falling Animation: Create an animation for when the character is in mid-air, falling down. This can involve slightly bending the character's limbs and adding a sense of weightlessness to the animation.

5. Attacking Animation: Design an animation for when the character attacks or uses a weapon. This could include swinging a sword, throwing a projectile, or performing a magical spell, depending on the abilities of your character.

6. Hurt Animation: Create an animation to indicate that the character has been injured or hurt. This can involve the character recoiling, flashing red, or showing other visual cues to communicate damage.

7. Death Animation: Develop an animation for when the character dies or is defeated. This can involve the character falling backward, fading away, or any other animation that signifies the end of the character's life.

8. Victory Animation: Design an animation to celebrate the character's victory or successful completion of a level. This can involve cheering, pumping fists, or any other animation that conveys a sense of accomplishment. Candy Crush