Spriter running on Linux + Wine!

charlieman

I just tested SpriterBeta on wine and got it working!

im5Y5.png

I tested it under Debian testing with wine version 1.1.38 (from the wine-unstable package).

In order to get it working I installed d3d9x_36 with winetricks. Then I ran Spriter and it closed with the "Failed to load plugin" problem a lot of people seems to have. This error will show a temp directory with a randomly created name. I Copied the file XAPOFX1_1.dll from a Windows installation(*) to that directory (~/.wine/drive_c/windows/profiles/username/Temp/cap3ef.tmp in my case) and it fixed that. Seems like Spriter is trying to load that dll from this temp directory instead of System32, maybe this info might help the Windows users who encounter this same problem.

Then ran it with:

$ WINEDEBUG=warn+all wine Spriter.exe

And it just worked! Here are more screenshots:

A0uY8.png

Wj683.png

As you can see the UI is glitchy around the text inputs, when you click them the text appears for a split second and disappears, but you can still write the number and press enter. The maximize button didn't do anything, but pressing it allowed me to move and resize the window.

The main functions of the program work, it can create new spriter files, add animations, sprites, keyframes and save them. I'll try to install the latest wine stable from their site (1.4) to see if some of these things are fixed there.

I don't know if Linux support was added on the Kickstarter (in the FAQ I only see Mac), but porting for both might get much easier by compiling the program directly with winelib.

(*) From the Windows/SysWOW64 directory since wine only runs 32bit dlls, for a 32bit Windows you'd need to get it from the System32 directory.